WHS - What Clubs need to do / buy???

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hit the 3 bar drop down top right. Select Card.
But I can't help much more as I'm out of action and not not playing at the moment so haven't bothered getting to grips with the app.

Last edited:

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Received email from England Golf saying that all members must have DOB and email on whatever HC system clubs are using. Just completed audit on our system and we have a few missing email addresses, on phoning around it’s because most of them don’t have an email address or broadband (if you lived in some areas of N Devon you’d understand why). Before I throw this at EG tomorrow has anyone already brought this up with them or their county and received an answer.

Nonreal explanation as to why on the email other than to ease identification, bavnt they heard of CDH numbers.

Swango1980

Visit site
Received email from England Golf saying that all members must have DOB and email on whatever HC system clubs are using. Just completed audit on our system and we have a few missing email addresses, on phoning around it’s because most of them don’t have an email address or broadband (if you lived in some areas of N Devon you’d understand why). Before I throw this at EG tomorrow has anyone already brought this up with them or their county and received an answer.

Nonreal explanation as to why on the email other than to ease identification, bavnt they heard of CDH numbers.
It is a pity they sent this email so late in the day. As a volunteer, I have no time to go through all members, and then start chasing those with no email address or DOB. I've asked the owner to look into it.

I presume this data is important to tie people to 1 handicap. Problem with CDH is that many many golfers had multiple CDH numbers, as they never tell a new club they were somewhere else before

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
It is a pity they sent this email so late in the day. As a volunteer, I have no time to go through all members, and then start chasing those with no email address or DOB. I've asked the owner to look into it.

I presume this data is important to tie people to 1 handicap. Problem with CDH is that many many golfers had multiple CDH numbers, as they never tell a new club they were somewhere else before

Volunteer also and it’s a nuisance and the multiple CDH issue has been a problem since it’s introduction, I suspect more prevalent in owners clubs like ours. Sometimes I think clubs that insist on interviews for new members a good idea.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

The EG email was a little bit of a bombshell for me. Our club has been using Handicapmaster for over 20 years and members' DOB and email addresses have never been entered into the system. EGU now says no DOB or email address by Monday, no Handicap Index. Help!

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The EG email was a little bit of a bombshell for me. Our club has been using Handicapmaster for over 20 years and members' DOB and email addresses have never been entered into the system. EGU now says no DOB or email address by Monday, no Handicap Index. Help!

Speaking to county tomorrow, ridiculous and not required. Right from the start I have been asking EG what provision they are making for those without access to IT with no response.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clubs were warned some time ago that this info would be required. I am told by our manger that he was aware and that clubs/members had already taken it up re GDPR

Swango1980

Visit site
Clubs were warned some time ago that this info would be required. I am told by our manger that he was aware and that clubs/members had already taken it up re GDPR
The message clearly wasn't clear enough. Given the specific email sent yesterday has grabbed attention, it should have been sent a long time ago surely.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site

There was information on how GDPR would be handled and how it should be explained and accepted by members but it didnt state that to obtain a handicap index you must have an email address.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just come of the phone with our county secretary and he has had a number of clubs question this and is expecting a response from EG tomorrow. It's about time EG realise that they work for the clubs and not that clubs work for them.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just come of the phone with our county secretary and he has had a number of clubs question this and is expecting a response from EG tomorrow. It's about time EG realise that they work for the clubs and not that clubs work for them.
EG are simply asking clubs to help reduce the time wasted by clubs trying to cope with players' inability to understand the problems they cause when they don't tell their new club the full story.
An example of why clubs and members should also work for EGI estimate that over 50% of handicap tickets raised on the CDH ticket system, that I have dealt with, relate to members changing clubs. This additional data is being asked for to help reduce duplications.
Incidentally, my club has been recording DoB at least since since we got a computer system and probably before.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
EG are simply asking clubs to help reduce the time wasted by clubs trying to cope with players' inability to understand the problems they cause when they don't tell their new club the full story.
An example of why clubs and members should also work for EGI estimate that over 50% of handicap tickets raised on the CDH ticket system, that I have dealt with, relate to members changing clubs. This additional data is being asked for to help reduce duplications.
Incidentally, my club has been recording DoB at least since since we got a computer system and probably before.

DOB isn’t the issue, its the fact that EG have assumed everyone is on the internet and has an email address and no plan B for those that aren’t/haven’t, an issue that was raised over 2 years ago.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly I sympathise to some extent that due to the current Covid climate getting stuff done is difficult.

However, giving so little notice is inexcusable to complete an exercise which may be impossible to do in the deadline. The treat of not issuing a HI is just a red rag to a bull!

If the issue is duplicates it was visible long before now and could have been handled in a more structured way - in the same way as a CDH clense and pending members review.

The rushed WHD Data Privacy document and subsequent email look like a rushed measure to add a fig leaf to a problem that EG realise they have. Expecting members to read a 5 page document and confirm they are happy with the details is unrealistic and boarders on cynical (who reads their Apple or Google agreement in detail everytime it pops up?).

I can see this getting ugly if members who pay an affiliation fee to EG are not given a handicap if they don't like the way thet handle their information. I hope i'm wong.

I think early November may be an interesting time and not just for the fireworks.

Swango1980

Visit site
Firstly I sympathise to some extent that due to the current Covid climate getting stuff done is difficult.

However, giving so little notice is inexcusable to complete an exercise which may be impossible to do in the deadline. The treat of not issuing a HI is just a red rag to a bull!

If the issue is duplicates it was visible long before now and could have been handled in a more structured way - in the same way as a CDH clense and pending members review.

The rushed WHD Data Privacy document and subsequent email look like a rushed measure to add a fig leaf to a problem that EG realise they have. Expecting members to read a 5 page document and confirm they are happy with the details is unrealistic and boarders on cynical (who reads their Apple or Google agreement in detail everytime it pops up?).

I can see this getting ugly if members who pay an affiliation fee to EG are not given a handicap if they don't like the way thet handle their information. I hope i'm wong.

I think early November may be an interesting time and not just for the fireworks.
I suppose there are a lot of things in life we need to give an e-mail address and DOB to register, so not sure how much an issue it will be overall? I guess there are a very small number of golfers who don't have an e-mail address, so that could be a problem, especially if they have no access to a smart phone or computer.

But, I am gobsmacked that the e-mail from England Golf to tell clubs to get this information only went out yesterday, giving clubs 1 WEEK. Yes, I read somewhere (it may have been on this forum somewhere) at one point that golfers personal details would also be attached to their WHS handicap. However, I half expected it would be a case that golfers would register individually with England Golf portal, and give those details themselves. To find out 1 week before this info is required that is is the clubs responsibility is quite incredible.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suppose there are a lot of things in life we need to give an e-mail address and DOB to register, so not sure how much an issue it will be overall? I guess there are a very small number of golfers who don't have an e-mail address, so that could be a problem, especially if they have no access to a smart phone or computer.

But, I am gobsmacked that the e-mail from England Golf to tell clubs to get this information only went out yesterday, giving clubs 1 WEEK. Yes, I read somewhere (it may have been on this forum somewhere) at one point that golfers personal details would also be attached to their WHS handicap. However, I half expected it would be a case that golfers would register individually with England Golf portal, and give those details themselves. To find out 1 week before this info is required that is is the clubs responsibility is quite incredible.
We have more than I would have thought and they have no intention of getting one. They are happy to use a PSI terminal to enter scores but not any application requiring a smartphone or computer. We are also having issues where partners use a shared eMail address.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have no idea if it would work but if a member hasn't got or doesn't want to disclose an email address, why not enter the club's email address?
Duplicate/shared email addresses must be very common with spouses.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I have no idea if it would work but if a member hasn't got or doesn't want to disclose an email address, why not enter the club's email address?
Duplicate/shared email addresses must be very common with spouses.

If duplicate email addresses don't work then it really hasn't been thought through; as you say, lots of couples (esp. older couples) share an address. Maybe Old Skier should set up NotEveryoneHasAnEmailAddressDumbAss@gmail.com and just use that.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If duplicate email addresses don't work then it really hasn't been thought through; as you say, lots of couples (esp. older couples) share an address. Maybe Old Skier should set up NotEveryoneHasAnEmailAddressDumbAss@gmail.com and just use that.
I just entered the details for a new junior member who used his Dad's email address. It let me do it with a warning that the system was not secure due to duplicate email addresses.