WHS - What Clubs need to do / buy???

Swango1980

Visit site
I had thought about a potential problem if it is CH where I play particularly for early starters.

We have two greens on hole 16 and and different tees as appropriate for hole 17. There is s a different Slope Index depending on which are in play. The decision on which are used is weather dependent and will be made by the greenstaff which is in use during their morning working session and sometimes it will get changed during the day. I do not know at which point they notify the office (which does not open until about 8.30 - 9 ish and does not open on a Sunday) to relay this information.

Early morning and sometimes later players will not know which green is in use until they arrive at the 16th tee.

If it is not known in advance which is going to be used all comps are set up for the longer course and only get get changed/altered as necessary when the cards are being entered and the comp is being finalised at weekends on the Monday.

I also see this being a problem with all scores being uploaded on the day they are entered and a wrong course conditions calculation being made as the difference between the two is 2 shots (the par 5 becomes par 4 and the par 4 becomes par 3).

P.S. earlier you mentioned about stickers being done for cards. This probably will no longer happen. The earliest that a players H.I. for the day is known will be 12.01 am . I cannot see clubs having someone in the office at that time time of day just to print labels. It is something we had already discussed on our committee and realised that in future players will be responsible for recording their handicaps on cards them self.
Very unusual issue. However, surely by the time the players have finished their round, they'll know the course they played, and can check their course handicap accordingly? (Note, even though, based on my last comments, I'm not convinced Course Handicap is the best one to potentially be DQ'ed on)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very unusual issue. However, surely by the time the players have finished their round, they'll know the course they played, and can check their course handicap accordingly? (Note, even though, based on my last comments, I'm not convinced Course Handicap is the best one to potentially be DQ'ed on)

I agree with the point and had thought about it. Like it is at teh moment players have to check the handicap on their card when they come in because we have so many comps and they will, probably, have been finalised whilst players are on the course in another comp.

Funnily enough I had a discussion with the manager this morning about exactly what happens ( I am never at the course at that time of day) he said the green staff come back to the first tee and put up the notice board as soon as a decision is made, which on most occasions is before the tee opens.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a similar note can any one answer the following. Currently if you do not submit your card you are DQ and get 0.1 back.
Under the WHS system I am led to believe the handicap index will be worked out for all rounds played on the course that day not just competition. So what happens if you enter your card as a scoring one before you go out and then do not enter the score ? Apparently for every non score on an NR card it will be calculated as a nett par, so if you do not enter a score at all will the system put you down for a nett par round for handicap purposes ? And therefore could become one of your best 8 which would deter some from doing this.

For handicap purposes, the following will apply when WHS commences.

•If playing an 18 hole round and the player completes more than 9 holes, the score is added to the players handicap record.

•If playing a 9 hole round all holes must be played.

(If playing a Stableford competition No Score may be recorded on a hole)

•If the minimum number of holes have not played or recorded on the scorecard the score is discarded and not included in the player’s handicap record.

The score for hole may be adjusted: (This means adjusted by the computer software and not by the player).

• Any hole where the score is more than a Net Double Bogey the score will be adjusted to that figure. (the same as the existing system).

Or

•If all holes have not been played or recorded on the scorecard, recording a Net Par on the holes not played. Exception: if less than 14 holes of an 18 hole round have been played, net par + 1 stroke must be added to the first hole not played and net par to the remaining un-played holes.

These adjustments are made using the Course Handicap.

If the card has not been returned the committee has to find out why and take appropriate action. If the score can be determined it will be entered as above.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I expect to see CR and Slope but not BR
I've just been looking at scorecard examples for WHS, and stumbled across Aguilon Members Club in Spain. They only have one handicap on card, and it is "Playing Handicap" (I'm not sure if this is pre or post WHS). However, this just seems to be getting confusing, if England Golf are saying it must be Course Handicap, yet other countries seem to specifically have Playing Handicap on cards.

Also, will clubs be having CR and BR on cards? And, will they put the front and back 9 Slope information on card as well as full 18?
I expect to see CR and Slope but not BR (and or 9 holes if rated)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had thought about a potential problem if it is CH where I play particularly for early starters.

We have two greens on hole 16 and and different tees as appropriate for hole 17. There is s a different Slope Index depending on which are in play. The decision on which are used is weather dependent and will be made by the greenstaff which is in use during their morning working session and sometimes it will get changed during the day. I do not know at which point they notify the office (which does not open until about 8.30 - 9 ish and does not open on a Sunday) to relay this information.

Early morning and sometimes later players will not know which green is in use until they arrive at the 16th tee.

If it is not known in advance which is going to be used all comps are set up for the longer course and only get get changed/altered as necessary when the cards are being entered and the comp is being finalised at weekends on the Monday.

I also see this being a problem with all scores being uploaded on the day they are entered and a wrong course conditions calculation being made as the difference between the two is 2 shots (the par 5 becomes par 4 and the par 4 becomes par 3).

P.S. earlier you mentioned about stickers being done for cards. This probably will no longer happen. The earliest that a players H.I. for the day is known will be 12.01 am . I cannot see clubs having someone in the office at that time time of day just to print labels. It is something we had already discussed on our committee and realised that in future players will be responsible for recording their handicaps on cards them self.
How do you register that you are entering/starting the round? Do you not have PSI terminals?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How do you register that you are entering/starting the round? Do you not have PSI terminals?

We sign up on line, use the app or sign the book in the proshop. If you have signed up online or via the app you are also required to sign in in the proshop to confirm you will be playing and you will given a competition number. This number is then used to verify all cards have been returned and if not whose is missing. In the current circumstances we are also required to notify the proshop we are playing for social golf as well, for track and trace purposes.

We only have one PSI terminal and that is currently in an area of the club house that has been deemed closed during the current circumstances. There was an intention to install another elsewhere at some point but that has probably been put aside for the time being in the current circumstances.

Swango1980

Visit site
Been on the Eagle web sight, cannot find prices of the various boards available. Anyone got any ideas as they haven’t even answered my emails.
I was hoping to find out myself. Awaiting feedback from Committee as to what we think we need, then was going to contact Eagle. Looks like that might be a problem then

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was hoping to find out myself. Awaiting feedback from Committee as to what we think we need, then was going to contact Eagle. Looks like that might be a problem then

Our county have just emailed out offering clubs assistance with the cost of a SR board up to £250 with the discount voucher which is great but still no response from Eagle.

Swango1980

Visit site
So:

We've ordered our conversion charts
We've ordered new scorecards
Responded to England Golf Email to enter our course details on their platform
We've put WHS posters up at club (although no golfers have actually been very vocal about wanting to know more, I guess most are just ignoring it and see what happens come November).

I'm wondering what else needs to be done, or what other clubs are doing. Questions such as:

• At what point will WHS handicaps be calculated and how does club / golfers find out what these are. The 2nd November is the opening date, but I understand golfers will find out their WHS calculation before that
  • How do we view these WHS handicaps. Will it simply be via the usual methods for golfers (such as howdidido), or do all golfers need to register with another England Golf platform?
  • Is is correct that a players handicap will also be associated with their personal details such as address? (at moment, it is simply CDH number, player name, handicap, and club).
  • Our membership renewal is start of August. Our club has still not deleted players who have not rejoined, as they are still getting renewals. Should they be deleted before 2nd November (or earlier), or does it really matter?
  • Anything else I've not thought of?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have not relied on the Toolkit for information notices for members. We have done various briefings that they can view on our website. I have also got two displays in the club with detailed notices which say more than it says what it says in the WHS posters. I have also used the CONGU posters which contain more detail than the England Golf ones.

I have prepared a guide of where to find a players H.I. (England Golf, Club computer or IG app) how to use this and how to fill in the required details on a card.

I have also prepared a briefing for the new requirements for scores on holes on the scorecard (rule 2.2 and 3.2) in the hope it will get player's out the habit of NRing as soon as they know they will not win.

I spoke to the manager this morning and he does not know when the new software will be available.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have not relied on the Toolkit for information notices for members. We have done various briefings that they can view on our website. I have also got two displays in the club with detailed notices which say more than it says what it says in the WHS posters. I have also used the CONGU posters which contain more detail than the England Golf ones.

I have prepared a guide of where to find a players H.I. (England Golf, Club computer or IG app) how to use this and how to fill in the required details on a card.

I have also prepared a briefing for the new requirements for scores on holes on the scorecard (rule 2.2 and 3.2) in the hope it will get player's out the habit of NRing as soon as they know they will not win.

I spoke to the manager this morning and he does not know when the new software will be available.

Toolkits driving me mad

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Toolkits driving me mad

What I have done is to use the logo's 'Know your score' and 'Easy as 123' to create my own posters.

The manager is using the media grahics for our lounge TV display

One of the problems I found with the toolkit posters was a massive poster that said just one thing hidden away in the corner which left people asking more questions than it answered.

Too much bling and not enough ring.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
What I have done is to use the logo's 'Know your score' and 'Easy as 123' to create my own posters.

The manager is using the media grahics for our lounge TV display

One of the problems I found with the toolkit posters was a massive poster that said just one thing hidden away in the corner which left people asking more questions than it answered.

Too much bling and not enough ring.

Unfortunately I am a member of a proprietary club where there is no secretary with any golf knowledge and no real support. Assuming she passes on the relevant information doesn't work.

Swango1980

Visit site
Being absolutely snowed under at work, I'm barely getting a chance to progressively put up posters sequentially as Toolkit recommends, and there appear to be lots of posters, social media graphics.

All I want is to have ONE big poster highlighting WHS is imminent, the very basics of it, and a link so any members really interested in the details themselves can go and read to their hearts content.

Then, I simply want to know what else general golfers, who simply turn up and play golf without really caring about how their handicap is calculated, need to be aware of. So, things like how they will be able to use apps with more functionality, new ways to pre-register supplementary, the importance of not having NR rounds, etc. Also, will golfers need to register with England Golf platform and give their personal details?

I also see England Golf have sent out a disclaimer several pages long, that needs to go to all members, and be given to any member that joins in future. Starting to become painful as more and more info comes through bit by bit, some of which requires action, other bits require no action.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Evening. Hoping I can get some much needed advice. Various members on here mention using apps etc for entering comps, paying online and entering scores. What app and systems do you use and or recommend ? We currently use the V1 BRS for booking and how did I do for score card entry. But non of these appear to have the payment part. I have asked the club manager to look into maybe getting more parts to these systems which may allow us to do this as I am led to believe we should be able to sign in on HDID and enter a suplimentary card or comp but can’t get this at the moment. We have also contacted Golf England regards an app and how we log players in come Nov 2nd and all we got back was they have an app coming, which is leaving it a bit last minute.
Any help or pointers would be a great help..

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Ciub V1 app has the facility to pay into different 'purses'. We use 2, Bar & Comps. I gather we will be adding 'Kitchen' soon.
'Comps' is automatically debited when we enter via V1. And Score Entry is available but we don't use it at the moment.

As a County we use the Golf Genius app for score entry linked to Handicap Master for competition and handicap management.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
The Ciub V1 app has the facility to pay into different 'purses'. We use 2, Bar & Comps. I gather we will be adding 'Kitchen' soon.
'Comps' is automatically debited when we enter via V1. And Score Entry is available but we don't use it at the moment.

As a County we use the Golf Genius app for score entry linked to Handicap Master for competition and handicap management.

Hi thanks for info.
I have the V1 members hub app but no where on the version I have does it give any payment options let alone multiple. I have the members hub, is there another ?