Looking to buy some new irons, need help on what I should look at.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didn't say that, I gave an opinion based on 50 years of watching people try and fail to get better by buying new clubs.
I also said if he was fitted he might get better but he's not getting fitted.
So I stand by my opinion in the hope the OP might have a couple of lessons and improve his skills which will get his h/cap down which would be more rewarding than blowing £300-400 on a set of clubs he's never tried.
Yes you did!

"Buying new irons will not improve your handicap"

Not saying I disagree with what you've just said above, but I definitely disagree that upgrading his irons categorically won't improve his handicap - because it might do.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To say they definitely wouldn't is daft.

Is that a fact or just your opinion?

Ok, I will concede I should have added ''in my opinion''
If the OP wanted to replace his old irons because they were getting old and scruffy, I would say go for it. But he didn't.
He's got down to 14 and he thinks getting new irons off golfbidder which won't be fitted for him will get him lower.
I gave my professional opinion that I don't think they will.

Maybe if he saves up and gets down to single figures, he can reward himself and his hard work with a shiney set of blades or something similar. That would be something to aim for.

Here's a phrase you never hear........
''He's got a great all round game, he should be single figures, but his irons are holding him back''

Anyway, I've said my piece, I'm out.
Good luck to the OP

D

Deleted member 1147

Anyway...

I would have thought that a newer set of Ping G? irons may be your best bet.
you could go in the Ping website and do the static fitting to check which colour dot and shaft combo best fits you, and then look out for some of them on golf bidder.

Another option is to look out for local clubs which have club manufacturers visiting & have a free fitting of new irons. This may give you an idea of what each brand offers, and you could then look out for deals online.
Only problem with this is that it will take a long time to visit each open day.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm really looking to buy some new irons, unfortunately, my old ones are quite beaten up and battered.

I currently play with a set of Ping G5s, 4 iron - Pw. I do really like these irons and would be looking for something similar.
I currently play off a handicap of 14 and do feel like maybe a new set of irons, with the new technologies may help in pushing it down a little further.

I don't have a big budget, and probably will be looking on GolfBidder. I would love to get fitted for some, however out of my price range.
I just need some help and advice on any irons out there which might suit what I'm looking for?

Thanks for any help!

Are you still looking for Ping or another brand(S) and are you looking for similar design clubs? Personally if you like pings, want power but a lovely looking club I'd go i500 or g700 depending on what suit you more. Plus they're about 2 years old so it might sit nicely in your budget.

Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OP, welcome to the Forum!

If there is one piece of advice I can give you for the forum it is listen to Bobmac, for he is wise.

If you are determined to buy new shineys cos you like the shiney things, well, join the majority of the rest of us because we all get lured eventually. You say you like your irons, does that mean they are a strength in your game? What are your weaknesses? How many NGIR do you make per round? Just think of your last few rounds (not a big sample I know) and recall how many times you were within 30 yards of the green - not in a hazard but with a straight forward chip/pitch, or indeed on the green with a true GIR.

Near_GIR.png

Off 14 you should be around 10 or 11.

If you're higher than this, then chances are your long game is good enough to go lower.

In which case, get a short game/putting lesson. A really good thing to do is a 9 hole playing lesson with a pro, who will identify areas for improvement. These may involve range session and swing changes but sometimes just a neat chipping trick or better course management is enough to see that handicap tumble.

If you're lower than this - how's your driving?

If that's good and you really want the shiney things, as said above anything from the Ping G range in the same flex as your current ones. But the technology has not moved on that significantly in irons as it has in drivers (indeed some would argue that regards the latter that is a flawed statement). A 9 hole lesson will be about £40 depending on where you go, trust me, £40 better spent that the single iron you'll buy with it.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Lots seem to be missing this from the first line of the OP............
Sounds to me he "needs" new irons more than "wants" them...

Funny enough I do hope a lot of peoples' jobs do not require a great attention to detail - No one reads the question nor answers it as prescribed.

D

Deleted member 1147

If someone says they want new irons, to me that is the same as need new irons!
As I reckon once the thought gets into your head that a change is due, the old ones become the fault of all bad play. Subconsciously of course ?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If someone says they want new irons, to me that is the same as need new irons!
As I reckon once the thought gets into your head that a change is due, the old ones become the fault of all bad play. Subconsciously of course ?

Yep. Gotta scratch that itch ?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lots seem to be missing this from the first line of the OP............
Sounds to me he "needs" new irons more than "wants" them...
To be fair, he also says that they're g5s. Made from the world's hardest metal, hard to imagine them wearing out unless the o/p has been using them in hand to hand combat with godzilla....I can just about conceive that they might need new grips and a quick scrub!

D

Deleted member 1147

It is weird that some people seem to take offence at the thought of people buying new clubs.

Just yell “get lessons instead” without knowing anything about their situation.
Well, if people are crap, the chances that there issue is the clubs, is low, and lessons would probably be better for them.
But new bats are very nice to have?

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Well, if people are crap, the chances that there issue is the clubs, is low, and lessons would probably be better for them.
But new bats are very nice to have?
So we assume everyone is crap, and they’re asking about new clubs because they’re too dumb to realise new clubs won’t be a miracle fix?

According to some people on here, it seems like club manufacturers should all just close shop, because new clubs are a waste of time.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I played with jpx 800 irons with reg 55g graphite shafts. If ud asked me I’d say I really like them. I then had some p790 fitted in stiff 120g shafts different was night and day.

I know he isn’t getting fitted but just and iron change surely COULD lower his handicap.

I'm fascinated. Are you a fast swing speed? As a senior the more flex the longer hit.your post suggests that the stiffer shaft is better?
Can you elaborate why the 790 are better for you( if I read your post correct)
Ta

D

Deleted member 1147

So we assume everyone is crap, and they’re asking about new clubs because they’re too dumb to realise new clubs won’t be a miracle fix?

According to some people on here, it seems like club manufacturers should all just close shop, because new clubs are a waste of time.
Point out where I said everyone was crap, or people are dumb...until you manage to do that I’ll just assume one of them about you!

Neeko1988

Visit site
I'm fascinated. Are you a fast swing speed? As a senior the more flex the longer hit.your post suggests that the stiffer shaft is better?
Can you elaborate why the 790 are better for you( if I read your post correct)
Ta

Hi, basically i started having lessons and on the trackman the jpx800 with reg light shafts were spinning so high I was losing so much distance basically the ball was coming back to me in the air.

Tried p790 with standard 105 shaft and 120 the difference with 120 was night and day much better spin numbers, better distance and just felt much easier to control

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
OP, welcome to the Forum!

If there is one piece of advice I can give you for the forum it is listen to Bobmac, for he is wise.

If you are determined to buy new shineys cos you like the shiney things, well, join the majority of the rest of us because we all get lured eventually. You say you like your irons, does that mean they are a strength in your game? What are your weaknesses? How many NGIR do you make per round? Just think of your last few rounds (not a big sample I know) and recall how many times you were within 30 yards of the green - not in a hazard but with a straight forward chip/pitch, or indeed on the green with a true GIR.

View attachment 28923

Off 14 you should be around 10 or 11.

If you're higher than this, then chances are your long game is good enough to go lower.

In which case, get a short game/putting lesson. A really good thing to do is a 9 hole playing lesson with a pro, who will identify areas for improvement. These may involve range session and swing changes but sometimes just a neat chipping trick or better course management is enough to see that handicap tumble.

If you're lower than this - how's your driving?

If that's good and you really want the shiney things, as said above anything from the Ping G range in the same flex as your current ones. But the technology has not moved on that significantly in irons as it has in drivers (indeed some would argue that regards the latter that is a flawed statement). A 9 hole lesson will be about £40 depending on where you go, trust me, £40 better spent that the single iron you'll buy with it.
Interesting GIR + NGIR stats. I tell folks that to be off 9 all I had to do would be to aim to get GIR + NGIR every hole and then down in two 50% of time. As my GIR+NGIR stats are usually about 16 and I am 8 - I should be focussing on my short game as your stats suggest my h/cap should be a couple or three shots lower. And that indeed is my feeling. 16 GIR + NGIR plus 3 birdies yesterday but failed to get down in 2 too often and played to 8.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
it seems like club manufacturers should all just close shop, because new clubs are a waste of time.
Given the number of perfectly good clubs already in existence, golf could continue for a good decade without anyone noticing the difference. I doubt that anyones handicap would be much affected particularly either. I suspect the OEMs know it too, which explains the high intensity marketing to the susceptible.