WHS & ISV Issues (Please post only if you are a handicap secretary or involved in admin at your club)

wjemather

Visit site
Course rating + course handicap - not much penalty would be one of my best eight. I can see some players happy with that outcome.
CR+CH would be part of every player's best 8, and would commonly result in a small reduction in handicap index, however a second offence may result in suspension of handicap index.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have 2x36 hole comps on my record with the both showing the rounds played displayed in MyEG shown in the wrong order.

ie: the afternoon round has dropped out of the 20 but the the morning round is still included

HI is calculated using the afternoon round but it looks weird and only shows 7 qualifiers on the graph

Shows correctly on IG though.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Annual Review - Observations

Our Handicap Committee met this evening to conclude our AR. The experience was interesting to say the least.

As per the guidance we looked at the Handicap Review Report which contained 6 members, 2 of whom we wished to adjust.
We also looked at the hard / soft cap report and decided we wish to adjust 15 members who were struggling for various reasons.

Having concluded our discussions and agreed the necessary adjustments we had a great deal of difficulty making the changes - specifically for those on or very near the hard cap. To make any change we had to reset the low index otherwise any adjustment was nullified by the hard cap. If we reset the LI and applied a 1 shot positive adjustment the impact was between 3 and 5 shots for those who had hit the hard cap. In most cases this was more than we wanted to adjust.

We agreed we would have to play with each players record to achieve the desired results - a fairly lengthy process compared with trying to give someone who's struggling a shot back!

Has anyone else been struggling with this or got any views on how best to simply adjust members HI?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Our Handicap Committee met this evening to conclude our AR. The experience was interesting to say the least.

As per the guidance we looked at the Handicap Review Report which contained 6 members, 2 of whom we wished to adjust.
We also looked at the hard / soft cap report and decided we wish to adjust 15 members who were struggling for various reasons.

Having concluded our discussions and agreed the necessary adjustments we had a great deal of difficulty making the changes - specifically for those on or very near the hard cap. To make any change we had to reset the low index otherwise any adjustment was nullified by the hard cap. If we reset the LI and applied a 1 shot positive adjustment the impact was between 3 and 5 shots for those who had hit the hard cap. In most cases this was more than we wanted to adjust.

We agreed we would have to play with each players record to achieve the desired results - a fairly lengthy process compared with trying to give someone who's struggling a shot back!

Has anyone else been struggling with this or got any views on how best to simply adjust members HI?
Discussion on the HDIDo Forum suggests that the adjustment has to be applied to all the last 20 scores. Am interested in this as we have our AHR in a couple of weeks

Swango1980

Visit site
Discussion on the HDIDo Forum suggests that the adjustment has to be applied to all the last 20 scores. Am interested in this as we have our AHR in a couple of weeks
As the user, I'd have thought 1 simple adjustment is only required. Technically, that adjustment is applied to all 20 scores.

However, that is not to say that it works as simple as that, there has been enough rubbish within the IT to date to suggest there wont be issues. The soft cap and hard caps are something that may throw a spanner in the works

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was under the impression that the caps should be checked and if necessary adjusted as soon the player reaches 20 scores.

The initial cap setting can be off from the get go and should not wait for a AHR.

Also, what reports (if any) or strategies are secretaries using to identify suspicious activity? ie players working the system especially with self entry, general play scores.

Also, this past week we had a returning player ( after a 2 year absence from golf) submit 3 cards. We all know that his playing standard is around 9 or 10 yet the system allocated an index of 6.4 , seems a bit low. Even with the slope that makes his PH 7.
We'll see how this handicap settles down as time goes on but it could take 20 scores lol to get a true reflection of his playing abilities.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Also, this past week we had a returning player ( after a 2 year absence from golf) submit 3 cards. We all know that his playing standard is around 9 or 10 yet the system allocated an index of 6.4 , seems a bit low. Even with the slope that makes his PH 7.
We'll see how this handicap settles down as time goes on but it could take 20 scores lol to get a true reflection of his playing abilities.
Remember that initial handicap and early handicaps when 20 scores have not been submitted have an additional reduction over the lowest score, if he was around 9 before, and submitted similar scores this time, 6.4 sounds in the right area. He'll go up as more scores are submitted.

wjemather

Visit site

Like you our Cap report will take more work than the AHR report, which only contains 5 players, of which only 3 warrant discussion (the other two being improvers who have been flagged for having high scores).

Resetting the Low Handicap Index seems like sufficient action in most cap cases, especially those where Soft/Hard Cap has kicked in immediately on reaching 20 scores, since the best 8 average will produce an acceptable Index. Ridiculously, resetting the LHI is still a two step process that requires applying positive and negative adjustments that cancel each other out - why can't we just have a button for this?

Swango1980

Visit site
I was under the impression that the caps should be checked and if necessary adjusted as soon the player reaches 20 scores.

The initial cap setting can be off from the get go and should not wait for a AHR.

Also, what reports (if any) or strategies are secretaries using to identify suspicious activity? ie players working the system especially with self entry, general play scores.

Remember, the Index after 3 cards is based on the lowest card, and then it subtracts 2.0. Once he hands in a 4th, it only subtracts 1.0 from lowest, then after 5 subtracts 0.0 from lowest. So, if his next 2 rounds are not his best round, his Index will be 2.0 higher.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If the player has 20 scores in their playing record when you make the adjustment on the EG Platform it updates all 20 scores automatically with the same adjustment.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As the user, I'd have thought 1 simple adjustment is only required. Technically, that adjustment is applied to all 20 scores.

However, that is not to say that it works as simple as that, there has been enough rubbish within the IT to date to suggest there wont be issues. The soft cap and hard caps are something that may throw a spanner in the works
You are right - the softcaps and hardcap make it very difficult to predict the impact of an adjustment but unfortunately these are some of the players that for various reasons need adjustments.

If you reset the low index when making adjustments the HI can jump by 3-5 shots depending on their playing record. If you don't reset it the adjustment can have no impact as they slam into the hard cap.

Oh for the days you could add one or two shots to someone's handicap.

IanMcC

Visit site
Our course is not suitable for qualifying rounds in the winter, as we have preferred lies in the entire General Area, and also rake and place in the bunkers.
I was browsing through the recently entered scores section of WHS Dashboard, and I noticed that a 4 ball from another club had played a round where all their scores went through as qualifiers.
I have since turned off the Default Markers under Settings for our course.
Does the forum think this is sufficient, or should I inform M&H of the club that they are a member of, as he may wish to discount their rounds?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course is not suitable for qualifying rounds in the winter, as we have preferred lies in the entire General Area, and also rake and place in the bunkers.
I was browsing through the recently entered scores section of WHS Dashboard, and I noticed that a 4 ball from another club had played a round where all their scores went through as qualifiers.
I have since turned off the Default Markers under Settings for our course.
Does the forum think this is sufficient, or should I inform M&H of the club that they are a member of, as he may wish to discount their rounds?
If they played as per your post then yes.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
or should I inform M&H of the club that they are a member of, as he may wish to discount their rounds?
You should do this, and should have made your course inactive as soon as your winter course went live. Folks don;t know and if they see it some will play and enter a GP score

IanMcC

Visit site
You should do this, and should have made your course inactive as soon as your winter course went live. Folks don;t know and if they see it some will play and enter a GP score
I should have made the course inactive, yes. In my defence, however, our members are instructed clearly both of the course status, and the method of pre-registering a round, which is direct contact with me. It is only with visitors that this could happen.

Swango1980

Visit site
Just got an email from England Golf saying I have an unregistered score intent, and a penalty score will be added on 3 December if not entered.

I have not played golf in over 2 weeks. I have not been near the MyEG App. I've gone on to MyEG App and there is no sign of it waiting for a score. Nor in howdidido.The email doesnt indicate a date of pre registration. Is this a balls up?

wjemather

Visit site
Just got an email from England Golf saying I have an unregistered score intent, and a penalty score will be added on 3 December if not entered.

I have not played golf in over 2 weeks. I have not been near the MyEG App. I've gone on to MyEG App and there is no sign of it waiting for a score. Nor in howdidido.The email doesnt indicate a date of pre registration. Is this a balls up?
Could be an old intent, although there was supposed to be an amnesty for pre-November registrations. I suggest you ask your handicap committee to check your record on the WHS Platform.

EDIT: To confirm, the few outstanding unsatisfied intents from prior to 1st November have been deleted for our members.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Could be an old intent, although there was supposed to be an amnesty for pre-November registrations. I suggest you ask your handicap committee to check your record on the WHS Platform.

EDIT: To confirm, the few outstanding unsatisfied intents from prior to 1st November have been deleted for our members.
Interesting, just chatted to handicap sec.

On 13 November, I registered and submitted an 18 hole round as normal. After submission of scores, they appeared on MyEG scoring history, albeit Index not yet updated (as normal).

We had lunch, and decided to have another 9 holes. I tried to register a 9 hole round, but howdidido said I couldn't, as I had already registered that day. So, I turned to MyEg, and that worked fine. Next day, both scores on record, job done.

However, the handicap secretary has informed me that the unregistered intent is from that day. I have no idea if that was from the failed attempt to register the second round on howdidido, or simply a bug because I played 2 rounds and/or used 2 apps? Certainly neither App seemed to tell me there was a score awaiting entry, and only the handicap sec could see this on WHS Portal.

Might just be something to look out for if anyone is a handicap sec.