WHS Handicap Index fluctuation

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
But that is how your Differential & Index are shown.

Remember, CH and PH will vary significantly from CONGU as 'handicaps' gets bigger because of the way Slope is progressive. The higher the Slope the greater the CH & PH vary from the Index.
Actually comparing your CONGU exact to your WHS conversion can be misleading because each CONGU score was 'sloped' and 'de-sloped' individually and then 'averaged' to produce the WHS conversion.

The really interesting information would be to see a plot of how the UHS exact changes over 20 (or more) scores as opposed to a plot of WHS Indices (or CH?) for the same scores.
ie what would have happened under UHS for the same rounds played since WHS (or better still since 2018 o_O)

What like this you mean.....these are all my scores from Jan 2018 which is when WHS started using CONGU scores to create WHS indexes before going formally live on Nov 2 2020. The CONGU handicaps are from my own historical record (up to Nov 2nd 2020 and then manually calculated by myself thereafter) which I have access to as an administrator on our HandicapMaster software. The horizontal scale is not time based...it is round based so I've put some annotations in to show when certain events happened like the first lockdown and the point when WHS went live....

WHS v CONGU.JPG

wjemather

Visit site
The really interesting information would be to see a plot of how the UHS exact changes over 20 (or more) scores as opposed to a plot of WHS Indices (or CH?) for the same scores.
ie what would have happened under UHS for the same rounds played since WHS (or better still since 2018 o_O)
What like this you mean.....these are all my scores from Jan 2018 which is when WHS started using CONGU scores to create WHS indexes before going formally live on Nov 2 2020. The CONGU handicaps are from my own historical record (up to Nov 2nd 2020 and then manually calculated by myself thereafter) which I have access to as an administrator on our HandicapMaster software. The horizontal scale is not time based...it is round based so I've put some annotations in to show when certain events happened like the first lockdown and the point when WHS went live....
Given the initial handicaps we saw, the fairly tight tracking of WHS HI and UHS exact is pretty much what I would have expected for your handicap range.

I would expect most records to show a similar tracking but with higher and lower handicaps demonstrating a gap between the two; WHS being higher than UHS for higher handicaps, and lower for lower handicaps. To illustrate the latter, here's my chart which shows WHS HI generally being 1-2 lower than UHS:
1637846682061.png
Interestingly, the two lines would be fairly close together if Cat1 offered 0.2 reductions (instead of 0.1) under UHS. With 0.3 reductions, they would be very close indeed.

RichA

Visit site
Pre WHS never had one before
1st WHS 30.0
Highest 30.0
Lowest 15.4
Current 15.4

39 scores in 2021. Heading in the right direction.

884AC6DA-1479-406A-A7D0-5632A44F3739.jpeg

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
nickjdavis & wjemather
I am impressed by your efforts.
I think the relationship between UHS & WHS would be more striking if the scales had been the same. But the current gap appears to be slightly less than 1 stroke for both of you

wjemather
Have you any feel for the gap at say 28-36 handicaps?

richA
I'm not sure what the lines are but guess the green dot line is tracking your Index and the other your Differentials. Am I right?

But guys I find the graphs much more informative. Thanks.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
wjemather
I'd expect WHS index to be higher than UHS exact by a couple. I'll see if I can find a good example player to examine tomorrow - it's a simple copy-paste into a spreadsheet to produce the chart.

D

Deleted member 1147

Started at 2.6
Present 2.8
Highest 3.7
Pre whs 4.3
12 scores submitted in 2021

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
1637910497137.png

My golf has been pretty crap for the last year, personal life causing most of it, and then health blip at the beginning of the summer when i had a heart attack.

I think i'll probably settle around this handicap for a while now.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
nickjdavis & wjemather
I am impressed by your efforts.
I think the relationship between UHS & WHS would be more striking if the scales had been the same. But the current gap appears to be slightly less than 1 stroke for both of you

wjemather

richA
I'm not sure what the lines are but guess the green dot line is tracking your Index and the other your Differentials. Am I right?

But guys I find the graphs much more informative. Thanks.

Here is another that, rather than showing exact indexes, shows the relationship between the old Congu Playing Handicap (i.e. exact h'cap rounded to nearest whole number) and the WHS PH that I would have in a singles strokeplay comp at my home course. As you can see, only briefly at the end of a period of declining ability, was the difference ever more than 1 shot...
PH v PH.JPG

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Started at 4.8 (though SG calculated the scores wrong and was initially given 3.2)
Lowest 2.5
Current 2.6
38 scores all comps, 30 were opens

wjemather

Visit site
Here are two charts showing the progression of WHS Course and Playing Handicaps (that is, 95% allowance for individual strokeplay from our yellow tees) compared to UHS Playing Handicap for players who largely fit in the "bogey golfer" bracket. Both have over 100 scores since Jan 2018, with about 25 of those since the introduction of WHS.

1637925766891.png

1637928073619.png

And a 28+ handicapper with about 85 scores (25 since WHS came in):1637926986164.png

I had expected to see WHS giving these players more strokes than UHS but that clearly isn't the case - UHS actually gave them more strokes in individual strokeplay competitions most of the time. Almost all the records I have looked at across the handicap range show similar results. Obviously the big difference comes in matchplay, where higher handicappers are certainly receiving more strokes under WHS than they would under UHS relative to lower handicappers.

wjemather

Visit site
The intentional effect of Slope?
Our course Slope is about average, so the effect is not huge. I'd say the difference is more the effect of the 95% allowance in strokeplay which is intended to benefit lower handicappers in larger fields.

The real effect of Slope would be seen by plotting CH for different courses, e.g. a short 100 rated course, a standard 113 rated course, an average 125 rated course, and a long 140+ rated course. The higher the handicap, the more bigger the difference would be between them.

Last edited: