WHS Handicap Index fluctuation

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Pre-WHS: 16.5
1st WHS: 16.6
Highest: 18.5 (I moved to Devon in Feb and went through a bad phase while learning how to plot my way around the new home course)
Now: 14.7

24 scores in 2021

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Final Congu: 12.0
First WHS: 11.7 (results in a WHS PH in singles strokeplay at my home course of 12, so identical to my CONGU PH)
Highest: 11.7
Lowest: 7.6
Current: 7.6

29 scores since Nov 2nd 2020

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t fully remember my final handicap on the old system…but I got 5 shots in a medal on Nov 1st 2020, the day before WHS kicked in, so we’ll call it 4.5.

First WHS: 2.4
Highest Index: 5.2
Lowest index: 0.8
Current Index: 2.8

71 scores submitted since Nov 2nd 2020

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Can’t fully remember my final handicap on the old system…but I got 5 shots in a medal on Nov 1st 2020, the day before WHS kicked in, so we’ll call it 4.5.

First WHS: 2.4
Highest Index: 5.2
Lowest index: 0.8
Current Index: 2.8

71 scores submitted since Nov 2nd 2020

??

D

Deleted member 3432

What about your Index? "Playing off" is course related and could be Course Handicap or Playing Handicap

Surely playing handicap is the only thing that matters after you have gone through the process of putting all the other bumpf on your card?

Certainly don't return a net score on your card to decimal places.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
First: 14.8
Highest: 16.8
Lowest: 9.3
Current: 9.3

Didn’t have an active CONGU handicap for 10 years, but it was 7.7 when it lapsed.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely playing handicap is the only thing that matters after you have gone through the process of putting all the other bumpf on your card?

Certainly don't return a net score on your card to decimal places.
But that is how your Differential & Index are shown.

Remember, CH and PH will vary significantly from CONGU as 'handicaps' gets bigger because of the way Slope is progressive. The higher the Slope the greater the CH & PH vary from the Index.
Actually comparing your CONGU exact to your WHS conversion can be misleading because each CONGU score was 'sloped' and 'de-sloped' individually and then 'averaged' to produce the WHS conversion.

The really interesting information would be to see a plot of how the UHS exact changes over 20 (or more) scores as opposed to a plot of WHS Indices (or CH?) for the same scores.
ie what would have happened under UHS for the same rounds played since WHS (or better still since 2018 o_O)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

But that is how your Differential & Index are shown.

Remember, CH and PH will vary significantly from CONGU as 'handicaps' gets bigger because of the way Slope is progressive. The higher the Slope the greater the CH & PH vary from the Index.
Actually comparing your CONGU exact to your WHS conversion can be misleading because each CONGU score was 'sloped' and 'de-sloped' individually and then 'averaged' to produce the WHS conversion.

The really interesting information would be to see a plot of how the UHS exact changes over 20 (or more) scores as opposed to a plot of WHS Indices (or CH?) for the same scores.
ie what would have happened under UHS for the same rounds played since WHS (or better still since 2018 o_O)

I'm aware of how differential and index are shown, more interested in the whole number I take off my score at the end :)

It might be where my index currently sits but I could for example play at Royal Ascot off the Yellow tees or Royal St George's off the Championship tees and have the same PH. Same goes for my own course off all the tees.

Your last point, I would hope that the home Unions ran some sort of analysis on the handicap records they held prior to WHS to see the implication of upwards and downward fluctuations of handicap changes.

To my untrained eye looking at our comps there are a people playing a lot of golf and their handicaps are going up and down like yo yo's. Just means there is alway someone who has got a few shots back and about to have a good round. Its not been done on purpose just a downside of the system that rewards poor golf. If I'm playing badly I generally spend some time on the practice ground to sort it out, its too easy to just put some cards in and take the easy way out.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pre WHS 9.7 (home course CR 72, slope 142)
1st (and highest) WHS 7.8
Lowest WHS 7.6
Current WHS 7.7

Won't be changing again until at least April as I am hibernating.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pre WHS: 5.6
First WHS: 5.5
Highest Index: 6.9
Lowest index: 2.1
Current Index: 2.4

Qualifying rounds played in 2021 - 86 (and counting ...)

Trying to get to 100, which I thought wasn't too unreasonable (twice a week), until I realised there was no golf from January to March ...

D

Deleted member 21258

Pre WHS I think it was 9.x (or maybe 8.x cant remember doh)
1st WHS 6.6
Highest 10.7
Lowest 6.6
Current 10.2

42 scores in 2021.

Been an interesting year of golf, changed my swing path to play better/more consistent tee to green stuff. But as the law with golf something else needs to fall apart, so my chipping/putting went walk about.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was off 16.0 in the old system.
First WHS handicap was 14.6. I went up to 15.6 and then back down to 15.0 which is where I am now.
I've put 8 cards in since November when WHS came in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pre WHS 8.6 (WHS equivalent 8.1)
1st WHS 8.4
Highest 10.9
Lowest 8.4
Current 10.0

29 recorded scores in 2021

Work in progress since mid-July with new full set of clubs (except putter) and completely changing my swing and understanding of the swing. Very difficult first couple of months, seeing H/I rocket, but October and early November have seen me post some of my best scores in 50yrs of playing.

So very hopeful for the coming year that I can get to regularly playing in the 70s - and I haven’t done that for 30+yrs. Maybe more knocks in the low 70s. These objectives will be achieved if my new swing delivers on the promise…that it will pretty much eliminate (multiple) unmentionables every round.