WHS doesn't work

wjemather

Visit site
As IanM said above, life goes on. In a couple months, no one will care about such minor differences.
The harking back to older handicap systems that haven't been used for years (or decades in some cases) tells me it will take longer than a couple of months for some people.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The harking back to older handicap systems that haven't been used for years (or decades in some cases) tells me it will take longer than a couple of months for some people.
Problem is that I fear there may be many who will be harking back to, and making comparisons with, a system that they didn’t actually fully understand or be bother (deliberately or mistakenly) to use properly.

Golfist

Visit site
I hate WHS, it’s leading me towards not playing competition golf. I’ve gone from playing every medal I can down to only 2 last year. As a sufferer of Autism it actually physically upsets me. It’s the 20 rounds business that does it for me, I can’t let rounds go and I’m in tears when it happens. I started golf to help with my condition, but now with WHS my condition is getting worse. This might seem silly to most but for people on the spectrum, this hurts and creates so much anxiety and upset. It’s supposed to be a hobby and be fun but it no longer feels that way.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hate WHS, it’s leading me towards not playing competition golf. I’ve gone from playing every medal I can down to only 2 last year. As a sufferer of Autism it actually physically upsets me. It’s the 20 rounds business that does it for me, I can’t let rounds go and I’m in tears when it happens. I started golf to help with my condition, but now with WHS my condition is getting worse. This might seem silly to most but for people on the spectrum, this hurts and creates so much anxiety and upset. It’s supposed to be a hobby and be fun but it no longer feels that way.

I can sympathise with you but one of the WHS aims was to try to get players into the mindset that you play a round and enter your scores whether it's a comp or General Play and just let your handicap take care of itself.

I recognise that it may not help you but, with WHS, a handicap is what it is and shouldn't be a source of anguish.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. I never thought about it to this degree. I don't have autism (although I do believe I'm mildly on the spectrum), but things that are needlessly complicated or that I can't understand drive me mad. I keep saying I just need to accept that I can't work it out, forget about what my handicap is doing and just play, but I can't let it go. Just when I think I have it sussed they change the calculations again. I feel for you, as it's clearly something that's out of your/our control.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wow. I never thought about it to this degree. I don't have autism (although I do believe I'm mildly on the spectrum), but things that are needlessly complicated or that I can't understand drive me mad. I keep saying I just need to accept that I can't work it out, forget about what my handicap is doing and just play, but I can't let it go. Just when I think I have it sussed they change the calculations again. I feel for you, as it's clearly something that's out of your/our control.
Yes that must be frustrating.
The games hard enough without stressing over scores going missing.

Did you have any problems with the old system ?
Or did the simple nature of it not bother you.?

Last edited:

Golfist

Visit site
Yes that must be frustrating.
The games hard enough without stressing over scores going missing.

Did you have any problems with the old system ?
Or did the simple nature of it not bother you.?
The old system was fine. I liked it. It was the story of my golfing life as opposed to current form which for a mid / high handicapper is pointless really as I can be mid 70’s one day and mid 90’s the very next day. I’m not consistent enough for current form to be a relevant marker. The main problem is those last 20 rounds, for someone like me, it’s a bit like building something that I’m especially proud of only for someone to come along and demolish it. If I have a good round coming off, I’m that anguished that I’m paralysed and can’t play. I’ll practice instead, week after week, until I feel confident that I can replicate the score coming off. I only felt confident enough twice last year to have a card in my hand. I’m paying my membership fees pretty much to have use of a practice facility. Looking at my last 20 scores, they are now spread over the last 4 years. It really has destroyed my enjoyment of my favourite hobby.

wjemather

Visit site
The old system was fine. I liked it. It was the story of my golfing life as opposed to current form which for a mid / high handicapper is pointless really as I can be mid 70’s one day and mid 90’s the very next day. I’m not consistent enough for current form to be a relevant marker. The main problem is those last 20 rounds, for someone like me, it’s a bit like building something that I’m especially proud of only for someone to come along and demolish it. If I have a good round coming off, I’m that anguished that I’m paralysed and can’t play. I’ll practice instead, week after week, until I feel confident that I can replicate the score coming off. I only felt confident enough twice last year to have a card in my hand. I’m paying my membership fees pretty much to have use of a practice facility. Looking at my last 20 scores, they are now spread over the last 4 years. It really has destroyed my enjoyment of my favourite hobby.
Handicaps are simply something that should reflect the (average) best of how you are actually playing and scoring in order that you can compete equitably in competitions.

Ultimately, all you are really achieving by trying to protect your handicap is building it to a standard that by your own admittance, you cannot possibly hope to meet, and in doing so have prevented yourself from being able to compete equitably in competitions.

Last edited:

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just play golf like you use to, and personally work out your handicap using the old system, nobody is forcing you to use WHS. Golf should be played to enjoy the experience of being out in the fresh air whacking a small ball around a field and not worry about irrelevant repercussions of how you played

Golfist

Visit site

I think if you’re on the spectrum at all (OCD, Autism, ADHD or similar, or even depressed) then WHS is likely to have a negative impact on you.

Golfist

Visit site
Handicaps are simply something that should reflect the best of how you are actually playing and scoring in order that you can compete equitably in competitions.

Ultimately, all you are really achieving by trying to protect your handicap is building it to a standard that by your own admittance, you cannot possibly hope to meet, and in doing so have prevented yourself from being able to compete equitably in competitions.

I think you’re wrong on that, the old system did what you say, the new one is based on form. I think differently to you and I can’t do anything about that. I can beat my handicap, I think I made that clear. The problem is when a good score is dropping off, before I even get to the point where I can try and put a card in, anxiety is so high that I’m paralysed to the point where I can’t play. I can’t even go into the pro shop or clubhouse. It’s nothing to do with playing ability, it has everything to do with my mental state which WHS has a huge negative effect on.

I don’t even care what my handicap is or if I can compete or not, that’s irrelevant, what is relevant is that WHS and how it works triggers my condition and makes it worse which robs me of my enjoyment.

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
I think you’re wrong on that, the old system did what you say, the new one is based on form. I think differently to you and I can’t do anything about that. I can beat my handicap, I think I made that clear. The problem is when a good score is dropping off, before I even get to the point where I can try and put a card in, anxiety is so high that I’m paralysed to the point where I can’t play. I can’t even go into the pro shop or clubhouse. It’s nothing to do with playing ability, it has everything to do with my mental state which WHS has a huge negative effect on.
By design, the old system absolutely didn't do that at all, especially for lower handicaps.

You've attached a completely unwarranted importance to your handicap. You need to find a way of detaching from that.

Golfist

Visit site
Just play golf like you use to, and personally work out your handicap using the old system, nobody is forcing you to use WHS. Golf should be played to enjoy the experience of being out in the fresh air whacking a small ball around a field and not worry about irrelevant repercussions of how you played

Yeah, that’s exactly it. I’ll likely stop comps which means there is no point in having a handicap. I’ll just play and monitor myself.

Golfist

Visit site
By design, the old system absolutely didn't do that at all, especially for lower handicaps.

You've attached a completely unwarranted importance to your handicap. You need to find a way of detaching from that.

I know you’re right but the autistic mind doesn’t work like that. It gets stuck on things that others see as silly or unimportant but for the individual it’s like life or death. Part of it is being unable to embrace change, we are creatures of habit and if that habit is messed with, it’s incredibly upsetting and disruptive to our lives.

The way I saw CONGU, was that it was based on your best or potential (which is more ability based). WHS is not based on your best, it is based on the average of the 40% best scores from your most recent.

Last edited: