WHS doesn't work

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A question for all of you WHS experts. Since having Club V1 installed, we have had access to a live leaderboard for most competitions. At the beginning of this season the club announced that it would be turned off during play, effectively doing away with it, this is a trial for a month.

What they didn't say was why. I mentioned this to a couple of people who might have known, but their answers were vague and woolly. I have emailed the club but have as yet not received a response, and think it is because they don't know the answer.

Furthermore, I was trawling through the minutes of the Competions Committee meetings and found reference to this subject. It was regarding a seminar that was held by Durham County where the attendees were informed that E.G. recommend that live leaderboards should be turned off during play, but the attendee couldn't remember the reason why this should be.

My question is. Do any of you club handicap secretaries know the reason for the recommendation?
I know years ago people complained that knowing what scores were in put them off their game.
They thought it changed the way they played knowing what score they needed to compete.
We had one but it was removed in a vote of members.

But the fact EG have a live leaderboard facility then advise you not to use it seems mad.

For elite comps maybe but handicap golf it’s unessesary imo.

Swango1980

Visit site
I know years ago people complained that knowing what scores were in put them off their game.
They thought it changed the way they played knowing what score they needed to compete.
We had one but it was removed in a vote of members.

But the fact EG have a live leaderboard facility then advise you not to use it seems mad.

For elite comps maybe but handicap golf it’s unessesary imo.
For those such people, they could just elect not to look at the leaderboard. It is not like they are plastered all over the course :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For those such people, they could just elect not to look at the leaderboard. It is not like they are plastered all over the course :)
It was in the pro shop behind the counter.
You had to go collect your card .
Virtually impossible to miss.
It went to a vote and members didn’t want it.!

PaulMdj

Visit site
A question for all of you WHS experts. Since having Club V1 installed, we have had access to a live leaderboard for most competitions. At the beginning of this season the club announced that it would be turned off during play, effectively doing away with it, this is a trial for a month.

What they didn't say was why. I mentioned this to a couple of people who might have known, but their answers were vague and woolly. I have emailed the club but have as yet not received a response, and think it is because they don't know the answer.

Furthermore, I was trawling through the minutes of the Competions Committee meetings and found reference to this subject. It was regarding a seminar that was held by Durham County where the attendees were informed that E.G. recommend that live leaderboards should be turned off during play, but the attendee couldn't remember the reason why this should be.

My question is. Do any of you club handicap secretaries know the reason for the recommendation?
If you mean the Leaderboard showing completed rounds during the day, then yes, we have ours turned off.

We found people were not entering comps if a “ridiculous” score was in, and, people weren’t entering the 2’s if either a lot of 2’s had been scored or if someone had got a hole-in-one.

Very sad, trivial reasons, but that was the reasons we were given.

Swango1980

Visit site
I always liked presentations when no one new who won......now I look at people on their phones and they know the result before it is announced.
How many competitions do you play in where people stay for a presentation? At our club, the first group will have finished their round a few hours before the last group has even started

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
How many competitions do you play in where people stay for a presentation? At our club, the first group will have finished their round a few hours before the last group has even started
None at my club, or any previously. Sometimes if playing an open if one of the last groups out.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Understood, I can only speak for myself, of course. It sounds like you have your condition under control and that’s brilliant.
I was giving a bit of thought to your situation, and the only thing I could think of that might help you would be to never look at your past 20 scores ever again, so that in time you will have little idea which score is dropping off next.

Of course you might have considered this already, or the thought of doing that might be a problem too, but I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was giving a bit of thought to your situation, and the only thing I could think of that might help you would be to never look at your past 20 scores ever again, so that in time you will have little idea which score is dropping off next.

Of course you might have considered this already, or the thought of doing that might be a problem too, but I thought I'd suggest it just in case.

When I responded earlier to Golfist, that is what I was suggesting without exactly saying it.

I don't think I am on the spectrum, but I can honestly say that I don't pay much attention to my personal scoring record on WHS. I turn up, check my HI, CH and PH for whatever comp I'm playing and go out to play. My handicap is what it is and will either change or remain the same for the next time I play.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
All very interesting but absolutely nothing to do with ‘WHS not working’.
(For what it’s worth some open events have ‘live leaderboard scoring’ but only up to say, the 15th hole, Mizuno Golf Pairs).
This seems to be the place for all things handicap, perhaps the title should be changed, maybe something snappy such as:

"WHS Works for Some But Not For others, But It All We Have, So We Better get on With It"

It may need a little work.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Thank you for all the replies. There are some interesting points. The fact that individual clubs have turned the live leaderboard off for their own reasons, but apparently E.G. haven't instructed clubs to do so is one.

Someone mentioned golfers looking up the leaderboard and not going out if the posted scores are unlikely to be beaten. The is not permissible at my club, if you cry off on the day you better have a cast iron excuse, and even then there is a good chance you will be sanctioned.

Cheating was mentioned i.e. knowing the best score and conveniently bettering it. The problem with this is all our singles comps are three balls, and cheating would imply complicity between three people. The comps aren't drawn, but anyone can and do book into any open slot.

The other issue as mentioned by our handicap Secretary was to do with people walking off if they weren't scoring well, particularly after the 16th, which is quite close to the clubhouse. The thing is, people have always done that, and will undoubtably continue to do so, leaderboard or not.

I like the leaderboard function. I like looking to see how I have done once I've posted my score, and looking to see how friends and others known to me have done, it's a talking point over a beer.

It seems to me they are taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut that barely exists, if at all.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm still a fan of a draw for comps. My "opinion" is that if you keep playing with the same friends....they get used to little things their partners do that "they" don't consider braking the rules, but still not ok......like being able to clean and place in the exact spot in the rough when the conditions are crap. How many times do I see people pick their ball up and then move it to a good lie?

Although....with how bad this winter has been, we've pretty well just agreed that preferred lies everywhere but hazards as being ok. Now that things are slowly drying out that will hopefully not be needed anymore. I sure hope the club brings in winter mats for next year.....there are plenty of people who just hate them though, although other than "they don't like them" is usually the best reason they have.

Last edited:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
This seems to be the place for all things handicap,
But it shouldn’t be. The thread title is pretty specific but like a lot of threads, “creep” sets in and after a couple of pages it’s off topic and all sorts of vaguely related stuff gets thrown in. Makes it a chore for those who want to discuss the title.

You could of course set up a new thread along the lines of “I’m having a hard time dealing with WHS” thereby making it clear that the issue is completely different to “WHS not working”.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
But it shouldn’t be. The thread title is pretty specific but like a lot of threads, “creep” sets in and after a couple of pages it’s off topic and all sorts of vaguely related stuff gets thrown in. Makes it a chore for those who want to discuss the title.

You could of course set up a new thread along the lines of “I’m having a hard time dealing with WHS” thereby making it clear that the issue is completely different to “WHS not working”.
Don't forget the thread for those who think WHS is great and works fine called "WHS is the greatest thing since sliced bread".

But then there would have to be a thread for the undecided called "I may be slow, but I'll work it out eventually".

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Don't forget the thread for those who think WHS is great and works fine called "WHS is the greatest thing since sliced bread".
Wouldn’t get any posts, those that like / accept it get on with it.
Most threads generally follow on from golfers moaning about everything, the greens, the rough, the bunkers, the fairways, the tees, the committee, the competitions, the rules and of course the handicap system.
Golfers are the most moaning of all sports people.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This isn't exactly a whs issue, per se, but systematic of the environment we now operate in.

I played in a 36 hole, 2 day event on Sunday/Monday this week in Scotland.

Scotland Golf haven't updated the new stroke indices, so the course wasn't available on the Scottish app. I can't get the course on Wales golf app.

The organiser sent everyone emails from golf genius with their card details, to send to their clubs.

I wonder how many will?
I sent mine Monday evening, no acknowledgement or sign of it on my score record.

If the club isn't keying scores, how can the pcc be worked out? This club also has no members and doesn't run its own comps...AFAIK..

So, I've played two qualifiers this week. No sign of the scores on my record. My mate sent his to his home club, that's not been entered either.

Chased it today. I wonder?😖

NearHull

Visit site
Well this bit isn’t working

***IMPORTANT WHS™ UPDATE REGARDING FOUR-BALL SCORES***
England Golf have been made aware of a few issues regarding the submission of
Four Ball Better Ball Competition Scores.
We have investigated these issues, and a resolution has been sought from our
technological provider, furthermore, a clarification has been sent to all ISVs on
the 19th of April 2024 to ensure they can implement the solution and provide
consistencies with posting of these scores for handicapping moving forward. The
ISVs have been instructed to implement the solution as soon as they as able to.
Actions clubs should make until the resolution is put in place:
- Delete any scores which have NOT hit the 42-point trigger based on a
Playing Handicap™ of 85% from the WHS™ platform.
Further information:
- When the fix has been applied, all previous acceptable scores based on
the Four-ball criteria will be resubmitted to WHS™
- Clubs do have the facility to manually upload any Four-ball scores which
hit the 42-point trigger directly to the WHS™ platform. A video will
available on the England Golf website.
We apologise for any inconvenience, and we do appreciate your patience and
support in reporting any issues to the WHS™ Team.