WHS doesn't work

Alan Clifford

Visit site
Do you have all tees rated for both men & women?
I asked but was told there was no demand. I sometimes play off the same tees as my wife in South Africa but don't have the option here. My club seems to have missed this important point about WHS.
Hoping to play in Lanzarote next week. Will play off the front tees with the wife it it is an option.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I asked but was told there was no demand. I sometimes play off the same tees as my wife in South Africa but don't have the option here. My club seems to have missed this important point about WHS.
Hoping to play in Lanzarote next week. Will play off the front tees with the wife it it is an option.

If you are just playing friendly check the course rating database. It may well have been done but the club has not told anybody.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just returned from Costa Teguise. Lovely weather but a bit hot for golf.

Have you asked your County to speak to your club?

JGolfer

Visit site
So I’m not sure how it was pre WHS, as I did not enter many open comps. But some of the winning scores are becoming borderline ridiculous at this stage.

Mixed greensome winning scores I have seen recently are. 51 points, 56 points, 57 points.

Look at some of the winning teams, they are seemingly always 25+ handicap men and 35+ handicap women, who so happen to have the round of their lives.

Then you look at their round history, and the men constantly scoring below 30 points at their home course. Women? Never enter the comps, and when they do? Always win by a large margin

Increasingly frustrating at this stage

Swango1980

Visit site
So I’m not sure how it was pre WHS, as I did not enter many open comps. But some of the winning scores are becoming borderline ridiculous at this stage.

Mixed greensome winning scores I have seen recently are. 51 points, 56 points, 57 points.

Look at some of the winning teams, they are seemingly always 25+ handicap men and 35+ handicap women, who so happen to have the round of their lives.

Then you look at their round history, and constantly scoring below 30 points at their home course.

Greensomes or Better Ball? Crazy scores regardless, especially for Greensomes.

If I was handicap sec, would be very keen to look at the players handicap records.

JGolfer

Visit site
Greensomes or Better Ball? Crazy scores regardless, especially for Greensomes.

If I was handicap sec, would be very keen to look at the players handicap records.
Greensomes. Believe it was 7 drives each, 1 must be on a par 3.

That is higher than some of the scramble scores I have seen this year.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Then you look at their round history, and the men constantly scoring below 30 points at their home course. Women? Never enter the comps, and when they do? Always win by a large margin

Pre WHS we used to see one or two crazy scores a year mainly from improving or new golfers.
Now the crazy scores are commonplace.
so there must be millions of improving and new golfers having good days

But we’re assured it’s not the fact WHS is so easily manipulated if you’re that way inclined.
after all golfers are trustworthy in the main.

RichA

Visit site
Pre WHS we used to see one or two crazy scores a year mainly from improving or new golfers.

But we’re assured it’s not the fact WHS is so easily manipulated if you’re that way inclined.
It happens. It's the nature of amateur handicap golf.
I shot 79 (net -10) a few weeks ago (recreational round, but played to strokeplay rules). It didn't feel like an especially great round but it was my best ever.
Yesterday I felt like I had a great round and took 91 strokes. 🤷‍♂️

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Medal yesterday with 71 players, all seniors. Only 3 scores under par the rest were over, some by lots and lots. No change to the PCC 🤷‍♂️

Swango1980

Visit site

The end of his e-mail said "and constantly scoring below 30 points at their home course", which would imply these crazy high scores are occurring in Opens?

As handicap secretary, I'd definitely would be keen to evaluate their history much more closely, especially if these are happening frequently. And contact their home club if necessary. Are their home club unaware of these players, or failing in their own duties to review handicaps?

One concern I'd have are scores in Open competitions. Although players can manipulate their handicaps, if they do so to score well in home club comps, then the handicap committee should be aware of it (and I'm sure other golfers would quickly highlight it). However, there are golfers out there that play in lots of Opens through the year, and I'm sure some of them are only too happy to have a high handicap to help them win some decent prizes. They could constantly submit bad scores at their home club, then just go out and do really well in Opens, with little chance of their home club ever knowing. This could happen pre and post WHS, although post WHS they can accelerate their handicaps upwards if they want.

wjemather

Visit site
Medal yesterday with 71 players, all seniors. Only 3 scores under par the rest were over, some by lots and lots. No change to the PCC 🤷‍♂️
1. Par has (almost) nothing to do with handicapping. Course Rating is the number that matters.
2. Average scores are 3-4 over handicap.
3. The expected range of scores goes a few strokes higher than that.
4. PCC will not move unless a significant number of players return scores outside their expected range.

wjemather

Visit site

You'd probably be less agitated if you took some time to understand handicapping a little better. There's been enough good information posted in these threads (buried among some absolute nonsense, admittedly) to have dispelled these myths and fallacies for you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just out of interest, did you take this any further ?

No.

I am not the handicap chairman neither am I responsible for administering handicaps within the office. I am just on a comps and handicaps sub committee. I was doing the meet and greet and taking the cards in to check for 2s when somebody asked for their card back. I could see the phone in his hand with the EG app opened and watched what was happening on the table they were all on.

The come from outside of our county. I have a fair suspicion of what is happening re handicaps at the club they come. Membership is just £1 and then it is pay and play and you can join from anywhere in the country.

wjemather

Visit site
No.

I am not the handicap chairman neither am I responsible for administering handicaps within the office. I am just on a comps and handicaps sub committee. I was doing the meet and greet and taking the cards in to check for 2s when somebody asked for their card back. I could see the phone in his hand with the EG app opened and watched what was happening on the table they were all on.

The come from outside of our county. I have a fair suspicion of what is happening re handicaps at the club they come. Membership is just £1 and then it is pay and play and you can join from anywhere in the country.
Your club's handicap committee should be deleting any unacceptable scores submitted by any players at their club, including visitors.
Even as just a player, you have the responsibility to report any potential issues to the relevant authority - usually the local handicap committee or county.

That will be Orchardleigh then.