WHS doesn't work

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Even with the maths mistake, what is the rationale for restoring the difference back to 10 ? Is that not the point of slope : that it should change the differential according to course difficulty difference between different handicaps ?

What if all players are playing together on their home course? Surely that is why there is a difference in their H.Is which accounts for the relative difficulty each finds on that course.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly it about understanding that Handicap Index reflects your ability and not your Course or Playing Handicap

The following figures are approximate only

So if we take 3 golfers with Handicap Indexes of 10, 20 and 30 there is a 10 shot difference between each of their abilities.

When slope is applied
the 10 may become 11
the 20 22
the 30 33.
So they now no longer have a 10 shot difference between each of them

If 95% is applied
the 10 is 11
the 20 is 21
the 30 is 31

so the difference in their abilities is maintained/restored back to 10.
Love it…didn’t appreciate the arithmetic aspect…and how HIs in different ‘deciles’ convert to CHs, with the 95% adjustment resetting the balance. Unless your explanation turns out to be rubbish 🤔😉

Last edited:

AussieKB

Visit site
In OZ we use 93% instead of 95% when we started this system it was 100% but single digit golfers won nothing, so this was one of many changes, think we were the guinea pigs.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Ozzie Playing Handicap.jpg

GA Handicap is what Brits call Handicap Index.

There is no Course Handicap.

Daily Handicap is what Brits call Playing Handicap for Individual Strokeplay.

(Scratch Rating is the same as Course Rating)

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Visit site
And then they do not use Adjusted Gross Score to calculate the Score Differential.
They use Stableford Points Scored to calculate Score Differential.

Ozzie Differential.jpg

Voyager EMH

Visit site
(36 - Stableford Score) + Daily Handicap + Par = Adjusted Gross Score

The Adjusted Gross Score also appears on GOLF Link as part of the GA handicap record.
But is not the same Adjusted Gross that we have in Britain, as that is done with a nett double bogey limit according to Course Handicap.
The Australian Stableford score is done according to Playing Handicap 93%.

wjemather

Visit site
But is not the same Adjusted Gross that we have in Britain, as that is done with a nett double bogey limit according to Course Handicap.
The Australian Stableford score is done according to Playing Handicap 93%.
That isn't really the point but in any case, we don't (yet) have [CR-Par] in the CH calculation whereas the rest of the world does, so if you want to be pedantic, the adjusted gross in GB&I isn't the same as anywhere else.

There are more than a dozen variances in the WHS options that have been adopted across jurisdictions that make insignificant differences to the number that matters - Handicap Index.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That isn't really the point but in any case, we don't (yet) have [CR-Par] in the CH calculation whereas the rest of the world does, so if you want to be pedantic, the adjusted gross in GB&I isn't the same as anywhere else.

There are more than a dozen variances in the WHS options that have been adopted across jurisdictions that make insignificant differences to the number that matters - Handicap Index.

Any news on when CR-Par might come in?

Our course is one that will adjust by at least 2 shots when it does.. Par 69 but CR 67.1 White and 65.8 Yellow!!

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I guess some pretty high Stableford scores must be recorded in yellow tee comps?

All comps are off the Whites at ours but yeah - you're not winning at Raven with anything lower than 42ish... and that's on a low day...

wjemather

Visit site
Any news on when CR-Par might come in?

Our course is one that will adjust by at least 2 shots when it does.. Par 69 but CR 67.1 White and 65.8 Yellow!!
As @Wabinez said, 1st April next year is the date we've been given for England. I heard a whisper that Scotland will be earlier, but haven't heard anything about Wales or Ireland.

When it does come in, I imagine there'll be a few complaints about "lost strokes" with those ratings.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
As @Wabinez said, 1st April next year is the date we've been given for England. I heard a whisper that Scotland will be earlier, but haven't heard anything about Wales or Ireland.

When it does come in, I imagine there'll be a few complaints about "lost strokes" with those ratings.

Oh plenty I bet but it should make our handicaps a bit more accurate in my opinion.

My handicap does not travel well at present and I put a lot of that down to the CR

Swango1980

Visit site
Argh! I can't even remember what the CR-Par conversation was about! :) At least we'll be properly briefed ahead of it by our Home Unions! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm sure it will be well communicated to clubs, especially as they'll need to update boards.

It will then be mainly down to clubs to communicate it to members. How well that is done will probably be quite variable from club to club.