WHS - current GM article

D-S

Visit site
Yet non members can now get an official handicap for what is it £40 a year? They have access to the app so can sign my cards for me if I play a round with them rather than before having to have a member of a club to play a round with to witness the card

For that alone it's a good thing

A friend of mine always used to get a fake club handicap made for when he traveled to posh clubs incase they asked (did a couple of times) but now he just presents his recognised whs handicap provided by golf England for £40 a year

Everyone's a winner

Apart from low handicappers
You could equally have done that pre WHS via clubs like Orchardleigh. They still provide this cheaper and better than EG.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
See the analysis below carried out by Golf Monthly from data supplied by HowdidIdo.

So yes data has been made available for analysis by at least one independent organisation.

I've also carried out an analysis of my own clubs data over the last ten years. This showed that up until 2021 Cat 1 golfers had a significant advantage over other Category's with Cat 4's having barely any chance. This has changed significantly since the introduction of WHS with old Cat , 2 and 3 golfers having a marginally better chance of winning than others. I strongly suspect this is scewed by new regular golfers who tend to improve the quickest and some lower guys actively protecting their status.

Any member can do this, but too many on here prefer to listen to their bias interpretation of their experiences.

I'm sorry but that analysis is weak. The average Stableford score does not reflect the likelihood of winning a competition. It is not just the average that is important but the deviation around the average that is important. It is outlying scores that win competitions not average scores.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm sorry but that analysis is weak. The average Stableford score does not reflect the likelihood of winning a competition. It is not just the average that is important but the deviation around the average that is important. It is outlying scores that win competitions not average scores.
I agree that article is weak, but that is not how I did my own. I took actual results of competitions and compared the chance of a return on investment (entry fee v prize winnings).

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Apart from low handicappers
Low handicapper are winners too !
- they participate in a fairer handicap system
- when they win now, they fully deserve it and get the recognition rather than in the past, they would have been seen as just the beneficiaries of biased hc system

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Sorry, I thought we'd established that higher handicaps gets the advantage now and you were saying that that was correct. I stand by what I said - it's impossible to make it not biased towards somebody, so if anyone, why not the better golfers? Fair play to them, they worked hard and got good at golf. The deserve a bit of benefit of the doubt.

Clubs don't play much in the way of 'gross golf' so that's a moot point.
Are you really not agreeing that a handicap system should be equally fair ? You are not alone, but this misconception seems to be the root of much of the discontent. And one cannot blame the system for that - it is the golfers themselves with the grievance who are at fault. Though as I said, better communication could improve this. The first step on the road to recovery, understanding, and reconciliation, is to embrace the fact that the level of golf you play has no bearing on how you will fare in handicapped golf. If you still think better golfers should have some benefit, then handicap golf is not for you. Play open golf.

The aim of WHS is to make it fair. And that has been achieved within a margin so as to make no difference. Much tighter than Congu of old. So a big advance. Why complain about it now when it is 5 times better than it was ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The Government, NHS and drug companies have an intrinsic obligation to the public and neither they nor we can opt out.

The R&A, USGA etc have no obligation to publish anything they want to withhold. We have simply volunteered to use the facility they offer. If we don't like it, we don't sign up.

Of course they don't any obligation, but they have a responsibility to implement change effectively to their stakeholders. (That's us golfers, all of us!)

I suspect they don't understand this!

If golfers haven't bought in to the new approach, that's a two way responsibility.

Being "right" isnt an effective lever in managing change. You need to take people along with you, or things don't get adopted properly.

YandaB

Visit site
I've updated my analysis for upto last week in 2023. Each year is between 70-100 competitions (between 3 and 4,000 rounds per year), it clearly shows that Cat 1 golfers (as was) are still winning more than they should on a truly equivalent playing field but significantly less than 2018. It's only 1 club but lots of competitions and rounds, can anyone else share theirs?

1700164830171.png

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Whether you agree with what she has said or not. One things for sure, she has got folk talking about WHS again.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you of the opinion that low HIs should win a higher proportion of competitions than if they were high HIs ?
I am you cannot give everyone an equal chance of winning in stroke play with handicapping you can only approximate it at best. I believe the approximation should favour the better golfer.
It's a sport allbeit a handicapped sport not a lottery.