Who's going to be RC Captain ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Given that its only going to be a Ryder Cup tribute band, I love the idea of Bjorn Again. Ryder Cup is a non event now with players already barred. Maybe there will be a resolution in the civil war before it comes around, but it is the only sure casualty of the LIV venture so far.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought it had been passed to Bjorn based on rumours. Would like Donald to get it though as probably doesn't get the credit he deserves but maybe they'll save him for the US.

Personally still thinking an RC will be superb, Europe haven't really lost the key players given the oldies were dropping out of rankings, and US have lost players i tended to dislike anyway. Does though depend on who else goes.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think Hernrik has sold his soul not for one minute....

Maybe Rory will take the captaincy on, I hope so as he has a habit of getting involved in things lately and him leading Europe to defeat sounds good to me. But something tells me Rory will be jumping shop soon also.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Awkward really. Probably best to go with someone who's done it before, since anyone new would just know they're second choice.

I thought Stenson was ideal so it's a shame really. I am also worried it will be a bit of a farcical Ryder Cup with an asterisk if it carries on this way as well.

evemccc

Visit site
No idea who gets it, I’d imagine Luke Donald?
As things stand with LIV, my hunch is that the Ryder Cup could be a big casualty — unless something changes

Irrespective of that, I’d like more televised / media focus on the Walker Cup…now THAT does really mean something to those taking part. I watched a lot of footage of the Amateur Champs at RLSA and Hunstanton, and it was excellent ——with none of the “light the candle/get in the hole” annoyance that golf on TV (esp involving US ‘fans’) brings..

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Was a vice-captain ever announced?

Molinari E and Bjorn the two assistants in place. Imagine Bjorn the favourite though would rather McGinley - perfect ‘extenuating circumstances’ to get a former skipper involved and he was brilliant at Gleneagles. Not sure what Donald would bring to the table

Other than a kick in the knackers/massive loss of face might be quite good for Europe as always imagined Stenson would have been a bit rubbish as captain

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Molinari E and Bjorn the two assistants in place. Imagine Bjorn the favourite though would rather McGinley - perfect ‘extenuating circumstances’ to get a former skipper involved and he was brilliant at Gleneagles. Not sure what Donald would bring to the table

Other than a kick in the knackers/massive loss of face might be quite good for Europe as always imagined Stenson would have been a bit rubbish as captain

If it gets him out of the commentary box then he gets my vote, can he take Coltart as VC too please :)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think Hernrik has sold his soul not for one minute....

Maybe Rory will take the captaincy on, I hope so as he has a habit of getting involved in things lately and him leading Europe to defeat sounds good to me. But something tells me Rory will be jumping shop soon also.
Beating a weakened US team wont have any great merit, credibility, or be a particular achievement. The next RC is already a damp squib.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

McGinley, no thanks!

D

Deleted member 3432

McGinley is a great shout since we will be getting trashed and it will shut him up.

Sadly he will know the score and steer well clear.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Given that its only going to be a Ryder Cup tribute band, I love the idea of Bjorn Again. Ryder Cup is a non event now with players already barred. Maybe there will be a resolution in the civil war before it comes around, but it is the only sure casualty of the LIV venture so far.
Isn't the Presidents Cup also impacted? Believe PGAT have banned International & US liv players from it also.

D

Deleted member 15344

I see it’s still the standard to write off the Europeans chances, someone will have to remind me the last time the US won in Europe , 90 something

The choice will prob be Bjorn as I suspect they will wait until the US for Donald

For a lot of people Stenson will have let a lot of people down and ruined any legacy he had

Maybe he is still skint after the Stanford issue

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see it’s still the standard to write off the Europeans chances, someone will have to remind me the last time the US won in Europe , 90 something

The choice will prob be Bjorn as I suspect they will wait until the US for Donald

For a lot of people Stenson will have let a lot of people down and ruined any legacy he had

Maybe he is still skint after the Stanford issue
The current situation helps us as USA have lost better players than we have so far. But as I said, if that's still the scenario, if we do win with several players missing for either side, it will have an asterisk. (The dreaded asterisk.)