Whites v Yellows

Swango1980

Visit site
Good afternoon all,
From the first tee time this Friday (27th May) , we will be implementing new coloured ‘Tee Sets’ to the Championship North East Course giving us the option of playing the course at 3 different lengths.
  • BLACK (Championship) 7,122 Yards
  • WHITE (Members) 6,633 Yards
  • YELLOW (Tee’s of the Day) 6,187 Yards
As members you may play off any tee position you choose for ‘General Play’.
This change gives us the addition of a fully measured / rated ‘shorter course’ to enjoy.
We hope you take the opportunity to experience the ‘shorter course’… playing holes from different views, distances, approaches even if our ‘shorter course’ at 6,187 yards is still longer than many of the local courses from their ‘back tees’.
Next time you come play you will notice…
  • New tri-fold scorecards are available from reception / marshal hut
  • Tee yardage marker boards at each hole have been updated
  • Permanent tee yardage markers have been replaced
  • Daily tee markers re-coloured
  • England Golf and Intelligent Golf course information has been updated to reflect change
Every effort has been made to coordinate all these changes to work together from Friday, but please bear with us if we experience any teething problems. we will look to rectify at the earliest opportunity.
One additional change: The stroke Index on Hole 10 is now 16, and Hole 11 is now 10.

this is all i know atm but my mates on the committee so when he finishes work i can ask
Certainly seems they want to encourage members to play off shorter tees. Slow play problem?

I know you don't know, but I guess the ladies will still be playing off the shorter course (yellow tees). If so, I wonder how many mens egos will not permit them to play off the shorter course :)

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly seems they want to encourage members to play off shorter tees. Slow play problem?

I know you don't know, but I guess the ladies will still be playing off the shorter course (yellow tees). If so, I wonder how many mens egos will not permit them to play off the shorter course :)

The pace when i play is fine (weekdays) but weekends I dont overly know..

id love to play off the "yellows" but none of my ego friends will.. think it would make the course really interesting bringing bunkers into play etc and par 3s would be more fun

D

Deleted member 3432

Good afternoon all,
From the first tee time this Friday (27th May) , we will be implementing new coloured ‘Tee Sets’ to the Championship North East Course giving us the option of playing the course at 3 different lengths.
This change gives us the addition of a fully measured / rated ‘shorter course’ to enjoy.
We hope you take the opportunity to experience the ‘shorter course’… playing holes from different views, distances, approaches even if our ‘shorter course’ at 6,187 yards is still longer than many of the local courses from their ‘back tees’.
  • England Golf and Intelligent Golf course information has been updated to reflect change
Every effort has been made to coordinate all these changes to work together from Friday, but please bear with us if we experience any teething problems. we will look to rectify at the earliest opportunity.
One additional change: The stroke Index on Hole 10 is now 16, and Hole 11 is now 10.

this is all i know atm but my mates on the committee so when he finishes work i can ask

Wouldn't like to be behind a fourball off high handicappers playing off the Black tees.....

In fact, wouldn't want to play off them full stop. Slightest bit of breeze and it's going to be no fun whatsoever.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Good afternoon all,

This is kinda how the local course to me plays (distance wise)
I don't bother with the 7200 course set up (there's prepared teeing areas to push it to about 7500 but only used for tournaments)
We use the 6600 for comps/social games
And we use the 6200 (the old seniors tees) for social & fun rounds or when the wind is up (which it often is)

Jason.H

Visit site
If most courses have 2/3 shot difference between white/yellow I don’t see a problem. During the summer playing mainly off the whites there’s more roll to be had to compensate for increased distances. I hit driver more through the winter on yellows because the ball stops on landing. Plus no matter which tee is used it’s the same for everyone who enters a comp. Most will likely get a shot on those long tough holes into the wind.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good afternoon all,

Wow. Sounds great place to play, and well organised too

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

I don't think that would be too much of a problem with it being over 6000 yards. That would be more than enough for me.

D

Deleted member 15344

Well organised? Impressive?

It’s year(s) behind every course I’ve played since 2020 at least. It’s just doing what they should have been doing ages ago. ?‍♂️

Yep it’s pretty standard at most courses these days - play off the tees that most suit you , comps of various tees and each tee rated for both men and ladies.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well organised? Impressive?

It’s year(s) behind every course I’ve played since 2020 at least. It’s just doing what they should have been doing ages ago. ?‍♂️

Considering we opened in 2017 as a 9 and a 18 in 2020 with 27 being worked on for 2024 things take time

Pesky covid ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Yep it’s pretty standard at most courses these days - play off the tees that most suit you , comps of various tees and each tee rated for both men and ladies.
Not sure what county you are in. However, I have played dozens of courses (mainly in my county) since WHS, and not one has had sets of tees rated for both men and women. It is still reds = ladies, yellows and whites = men.

So, it is definitely not standard in my county, but can't speak for others.

wjemather

Visit site
Maybe where you are, and possibly at high end clubs and resorts, but get around the country to run-of-the-mill clubs and you'll see a very different picture.

A quick check of the rating database shows a small minority of courses in my area (covering several counties) with the forward tees rated for men, or anything other than the forward tees rated for women. Additionally, many clubs simply don't have big enough teeing areas for some sets of tees (e.g. the back championship tees) to be allowing general use - we certainly don't.

RRidges

Visit site
I've played off whites for my last three rounds. Good god, the difference is huge. I get ONE extra shot off whites, ONE. I can assure you I need one on the sixth, a monster 240 yard par three, so that's driver off the tee to anywhere. I need, one on the 10th, huge dog leg left where my drive, off white does get anywhere near the corner and the second shot is 220+. I need one on the 17th where today it was a well struck drive and a three wood to get within 30 meters of the green. One shot my eye! I will be playing most of my Monday knocks off whites for now on to get my H/C up to where it should be for the white tees.
Come play in US, where CR-Par is now used in the calculation of Course Handicap, so the difference is more obvious.
As someone who plays in both countries, it's just another slight cultural difference that matters not a bit HI-wise, as it's Differential from CR that counts in both countries. Differential is now obvious in US but not so obvious in UK. I have to adjust when I pay in UK, as I play mostly in US these days.
Your concern is actually a bit daft anyway, as you are getting an EXTRA shot with WHS/Slope compared to the old UK system.
Btw. In the old system, did you compare your score against Par or SSS? I'd bet it was Stableford points, so against Par, so 34 points off Whites was equivalent to 36 points of Yellows. I've gradually introduced Stableford to my US workmates, as it's a new concept to many of them.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Come play in US, where CR-Par is now used in the calculation of Course Handicap, so the difference is more obvious.
As someone who plays in both countries, it's just another slight cultural difference that matters not a bit HI-wise, as it's Differential from CR that counts in both countries. Differential is now obvious in US but not so obvious in UK. I have to adjust when I pay in UK, as I play mostly in US these days.
Your concern is actually a bit daft anyway, as you are getting an EXTRA shot with WHS/Slope compared to the old UK system.
Btw. In the old system, did you compare your score against Par or SSS? I'd bet it was Stableford points, so against Par, so 34 points off Whites was equivalent to 36 points of Yellows. I've gradually introduced Stableford to my US workmates, as it's a new concept to many of them.
What a great post. It shows to me how the old system made us all "stableford thinkers" including me.
Phrases such as, "I get x-amount of shots" persist as players are still focussing on stableford.
I have been trying to persuade people to judge their performance on differential. It mostly goes in one ear and out the other. It does take time to change one's thinking.

wjemather

Visit site
What a great post. It shows to me how the old system made us all "stableford thinkers" including me.
Phrases such as, "I get x-amount of shots" persist as players are still focussing on stableford.
I have been trying to persuade people to judge their performance on differential. It mostly goes in one ear and out the other. It does take time to change one's thinking.
WHS operates on a Stableford basis, as did UHS; the issue is that most golfers have never recognised that their play to handicap score could be anything other than 36 points, and they are now failing to account for the 95% allowance too.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
WHS operates on a Stableford basis, as did UHS; the issue is that most golfers have never recognised that their play to handicap score could be anything other than 36 points, and they are now failing to account for the 95% allowance too.
Players recognised the NDB concept but not the resultant differential to SSS.

AliMc

Visit site
Big difference between whites (72.3 and 128) and yellows (70.4 and 124) at Dunbar, for me anyway, in the prevailing wind on the back nine there are four par 4's that will probably be reachable in two from the yellows that are most likely going to be close to being out of reach off the whites. My hi is currently 5.4, my 8 best differentials are 3 off the yellows (2.4 to 4.0) and 5 off the whites (6.8 to 7.7) there's little chance I could match my scores from the yellows off the whites