Which Open Championship venue would you most like to play?

Which Open course would you most like to play?

• Birkdale

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Carnoustie

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Hoylake

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Lytham

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Muirfield

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Old Course

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Portrush

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Sandwich

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Troon

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Turnberry

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Went for The Old Course. Just because it's the course in my view.

However, I might be playing Portrush in November. Brother in Law is getting married 40 miles down the road and the Mrs has given me the go ahead to get a game in somewhere. Just not sure as a 23hcp I'd get round well enough to enjoy it? Answers on a postcard!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Went for The Old Course. Just because it's the course in my view.

However, I might be playing Portrush in November. Brother in Law is getting married 40 miles down the road and the Mrs has given me the go ahead to get a game in somewhere. Just not sure as a 23hcp I'd get round well enough to enjoy it? Answers on a postcard!
Play the Valley at Portrush - quids less and probably more enjoyable - it's briliant

4LEX

Visit site
The only ones I haven't played are Hoylake, Sandwich and Portrush. From those I'd be most excited about Portrush.

Of the others, I think Muirfield is the best course but I've been fortunate enough to play it a few times and I've played Carnoustie loads. I'd head back to the Old Course as I've only played it once, with my dad, when I was about 14, very rubbish at golf and the only thing I can remember is getting a row over the tannoy from the starter on the first tee. :oops:

More details needed :unsure:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Musselburgh is the most anticipated, as its the only one I havent played yet, and want to do one round with my clubs, one with Hickory clubs, as recommended.

Although I've played most more than once, except Portrush (playing it again next month), Muirfield, RCP and RSG, I would love to play the OC again. Only played it once, 5 over gross, 2 under handicap, but would love to get it in again as I think it would always be "very special".

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It was on the right hand side of the old 17th, I think. Some people who hit into it spent quite a while there. There is a bunker on one of the new holes called Little Nelly as a tribute.

Were they the two holes they "lost" in the new design. From memory the 7th is a totally new hole, nearer the sea, not sure where they gained the other one from.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Were they the two holes they "lost" in the new design. From memory the 7th is a totally new hole, nearer the sea, not sure where they gained the other one from.

Yeah, the new 7th and 8th were added on some land formerly used for the Valley (Portrush's 2nd 18). The new 7th and 8th look like great holes. The old 18th was a rather unexciting short par 5 back to the clubhouse, and the old 17th was a good enough hole but too easy for the big boys.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Yeah, the new 7th and 8th were added on some land formerly used for the Valley (Portrush's 2nd 18). The new 7th and 8th look like great holes. The old 18th was a rather unexciting short par 5 back to the clubhouse, and the old 17th was a good enough hole but too easy for the big boys.

Yep, the new 7th (a brute) reminded me of Trump Aberdeen in style and I new that the old 17/18th was one of the things that had kept it off the open rota for years, and the R and A recommended/insisted on these for change.

When I played it last time they were digging out what looked like reasonably new bunkers to insert the TV cameras in them.

D

Deleted member 21258

Played most, but would like to go back to Lytham., great challenging course.

Zig

Visit site
Down the side of the old 17th. 100% improved with the two new holes (and there's a replica of the bunker - though not as big - on the first of those two new holes.
Apols - didn't see the replies in between :( Need to read the whole thread next time - apols!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I like reading these type of threads. I've only ever wanted to play one and done it. I've yet to read any really good reasons to play another although Lytham seems to have a lot of people's votes. I'll continue to read with interest ☺️

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've only played Birkdale from that list, but will be ticking off Portrush next month. But I voted for the Old Course, Probably not the most attractive, or difficult, but steeped in history and it's a bucket list course for me.