Poll: Would you like to see shot penalties for slow play?

Would you like to see shot penalties for slow play?

• Yes

Votes: 54 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

Mandofred

Visit site
Shot clock with a couple of timeouts available for the genuinely tough decisions. It worked well at the Austrian open a few years ago. Scores weren't adversely affected, play was brisk, and almost no penalties were required. The players just got on with it.

Perhaps if people started shouting "hurry up" instead of "mashed potatoes"? ;)
Yeah....kind of like this....

badgergm

Visit site
When a player takes more than the time they are "allowed" to play their shot. 45 seconds or thereabouts.
Exactly. It’s not difficult, that’s the thing. only issue is that there is odd occasion where longer is needed. But not hard to give a number of exceptions per round, for example.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Would love to see both the American and the Euro Tours apply time penalties, but not holding my breath ( who are they afraid of?? )
Equally have been watching some womens golf and they can be really slow in some cases!!
Just bad examples to set to juniors coming through ( also some of the adults:whistle: )
The annoying thing is when you tell the slow group in front of you that you want to get home before its dark/ the Ten O'clock News comes on,/etc; etc. and they only start to move when you say that you're going through them at the next tee-!!:rolleyes:

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
BTW-Is anyone watching the Womens' Scottish Open??-----Blowing an absolute 'hoolie' at Drumbarnie-yet some good scores coming in!
P.S......How do fancy that joint/course Karen ( have you played it )??

Sorry...Forgot to title this and put in right section?- Hmm, don't seem able to, maybe some kind MOD could do for me -Please?

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Corporal punishment for a first offense, capital punishment for a second. would quickly sort out slow play then you needn't add strokes which would only work for those in contention.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stacy Lewis had a lot to say about slow play including handing out shot penalties for the slow coaches... yes or no? Please show workings/the inner workings of your minds

I would like to see if an official is there and you take too long, you should get shots. I would honestly like to see that. Because I think as a tour, we need to make this game more enjoyable, make it more fun to watch. Carlota Ciganda got a penalty shot at the Match Play, she had a loss of hole and it lost the match. I mean, it was harsh. Everyone initially was, wow. I don't know if she was out of position or not, but it is harsh, and it looks harsh to the media and everybody on the outside. But I do think we need that. Because you start playing with shots that affects where you are on the leaderboard, affects how much money you're making, it affects your status at the end of the year. That affect things a lot more than $1,000 fine does ultimately. I'm okay with it and I'd like to see more of it.
The various tours have Pace of Play procedures which include stroke penalties. The details of when and to whom penalties are applied are rarely publicised.
https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/news...play-regulations-come-in-to-effect-this-week/

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have two sets of winners. Every time player get round in under 4 hours they receive two shots. Apply this over the four rounds to the scores and dole out the prize money to this set of players. The actual winners can have the prestige but quicker players get the dosh.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, really good course, I loved it.

As for slow play penalties.... yes in the pro game, maybe at elite amateur, no at club level.
England Golf and most(?) Counties have Pace of Play conditions with penalty strokes.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Indeed, but I don't remember anyone being penalised in any event I've played in.
Do you think that anyone you were out with / behind deserved or merited penalties that would hit their scores?
I mean of course for slow play-not the usual looking for a free drop / placement etc..
Dare I assume that that you ( like the rest of us ) can't be bothered with taking the air temperature / moisture content and all that rubbish that some I've met seem to think is vital to their next duff and just want to look, size up, select club. feel the shot, practise swing and GO??:whistle:

Btw.....would you / have you actually said to anyone to move it at your higher end competition comps? I'm taking it that your normal crew know how you like to go / play??

Last edited: