Which Open Championship venue would you most like to play?

Which Open course would you most like to play?

• Birkdale

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • Carnoustie

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Hoylake

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Lytham

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Muirfield

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Old Course

Votes: 33 41.3%
  • Portrush

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Sandwich

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Troon

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Turnberry

Votes: 6 7.5%

• Total voters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are different types of links, the big dunes style, like Birkdale, the lunar landscape style, like The Old Course, some hard and fast, others more lush, and they can play quite differently.
Absolutely, it's a broad description. On the whole though they would be at the end of my list of courses to play.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Of the 5 I haven't played, it would have to be Portrush. Of the 5 I have played (RSG, Lytham, Birkdale, TOC & Carnoustie), the go to replay would be RSG. And Carnoustie 5 days after Paul Lawrie won The Open made me realise just how good these guys are; that course was absolutely brutal.

Boomy

Visit site
Played Royal Lytham yesterday, what an absolute treat. Did my best Adam Scott impression - all going superb until the 14th hole annnnd the wheels were off - great experience though. Also played Turnberry which is up there in my favourites. I’d really love to play Royal Portrush - stunning looking track!

2434814D-B3D9-4BCE-B747-6FF1291D168C.jpeg
Looking up the 18th @ Royal Lytham yesterday

4B15128C-421C-4FDB-BBA7-EB22EFCA3AEF.jpeg
Par 3 9th hole @ Royal Lytham (missed my putt for a 2 ?)

Last edited:

badgergm

Visit site
I’m a big fan ov views while playing, so I’d go for Turnberry I think. Played it once, 30 years ago. Also a big Tom Watson fan ?

aside from that then OC and Birkdale.

The Lion

Visit site
Now we're finally approaching another Open Championship which venue would you most like to play? Just for the experience of it, value for money doesn't come into it - for ease I've chose the venues that have held the Open this century

Will use the best bits for an online piece, thanks

Any chance we could arrange a few forum trips to tick these off please? ?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Played Royal Lytham yesterday, what an absolute treat. Did my best Adam Scott impression - all going superb until the 14th hole annnnd the wheels were off - great experience though. Also played Turnberry which is up there in my favourites. I’d really love to play Royal Portrush - stunning looking track!

View attachment 37247
Looking up the 18th @ Royal Lytham yesterday

View attachment 37249
Par 3 9th hole @ Royal Lytham (missed my putt for a 2 ?)
I love Lytham, might even be my favourite though I do keep changing. Amazing place

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've played Carnoustie & Portrush, would love to play any of the others but the Old Couse would be my pick for the atmosphere. I 've played most of the other St Andr3ews courses and have enjoyed them all there's a special atmosphere there.

D

Deleted member 17920

Now we're finally approaching another Open Championship which venue would you most like to play? Just for the experience of it, value for money doesn't come into it - for ease I've chose the venues that have held the Open this century

Will use the best bits for an online piece, thanks
Played them all and thoroughly enjoyed each one.

Wouldn’t turn down an invite to any of them but would happily play The sold course again and again.

Will never get bored of St Andrews

D

Deleted member 16999

Birkdale for me, have played TOC, Carnoustie, Troon and Royal Liverpool.

A chance of any them though would be a pleasure, nothing better than the feeling that you’re walking in the footsteps of Legends.

Zig

Visit site
Royal St Georges and Royal Birkdale are at the top of my 'still to do's'. Shame they've both become so expensive!

Favourite of those played: Royal Portrush by far. Turnberry amazing too. Loved the 1st/17/18 at the Old - the experience wows more than the course for me. Similar at Muirfield; would love to go back to play in Summer (rather than Feb).
Hoping Royal Liverpool have some more of those Opens in August and might be able to sneak that in. ;)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
No votes for Hoylake yet. Always think it would never be at the top of many people’s list but also not at the bottom either? Given the choice think I’d rather play there ahead of Troon and Carnoustie, maybe

D

Deleted member 17920

No votes for Hoylake yet. Always think it would never be at the top of many people’s list but also not at the bottom either? Given the choice think I’d rather play there ahead of Troon and Carnoustie, maybe
I can’t what course would be below Hoylake from the current rota.

Troon and Carnoustie are miles ahead of Hoylake.