Golf goals..Which would you rather?

Mandofred

Visit site
If I had to pick one, I'd a with A. No limit on how good/bad I am.....it's up to me at that point and I can have fun on a so-so golf course. The other 2 options put a limit on how good I play. If you take the ability to get better away from me, I'd pack it in. I might not get better, but I need to have the hope of doing so.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would go with A as well. I am a member at a muni course and it's certainly good enough to enjoy week in week out, competitions pretty much every weekend should you want, I've got a group of good mates that play together regularly and enjoy a beer with after a round. I manage to play a couple of more prestigious courses every year as well as the 'better' courses in the local area in club matches or on a green fee and a 5 day golf trip with a group of 20 or so guys annually and I would guess that all doesn't cost much more than the £1500 in the OP, well maybe it does if the beers are included! :LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some sunny and warm summer evenings when I am out for a few holes by myself (remember these days?) I can find myself hardly caring a jot or tittle about the standard of my golf or whether my golf clubs are any good - regardless of what Mark Twain said golf won't be spoiling my walk as I enjoy my golf course and what it shares with nature :)

evemccc

Visit site
If cost is an issue though, getting new gear is surely the least efficient? A decent fitted hybrid costs you £200 these days? Which is like 10 lessons?

Maybe you have a point though, as I say equipment is no issue after spending thousands over the years.

Doesnt change my answer. Nice club/course still wins for me

How are people getting lessons for £20 or less? I can’t ever see lessons for that price advertised!! More like £50 an hour

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
A reasonable golfer can play a reasonable round with any equipment, in my opinion.

I could play any course alone and be bored, even Augusta, what's the point of doing something if you can't do it with your friends. So not that bothered about playing famous courses.

So I'd join a 'nice' course if I could afford it, and have a knock with as many people as I could become friends with.

My ideal would be as it was about 8yrs ago..... play my own course, have a lot of friends, and join in as many forum meets as I could afford because most of you guys are AWESOME to meet and have a knock with (y)(y)(y)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd be torn between A and C If I'm honest.

Lets say I have my membership and my clubs I'd then choose B.

Ser Shankalot

Visit site
I'd choose (A) but maybe with a twist.

(B) bucket list courses are something I'd definitely want to do some day, but I don't think I have the skill level to really appreciate the whole experience yet. Especially if i'm paying for it. Many years ago I was invited to play St Andrews Old Course by a bank but declined as I didn't want to make a fool of myself in front of work competitors from other firms as I was young and starting out. Pretty stupid decision looking back since it was free and my company would have paid travel costs.

(C) I don't get, as it only pays for 1 year membership - and probably not even that long for any clubs within 1hr of London. What happens the next year?

(A) The benefit would last me a lot, lot longer. And the twist would be why only clubs that would make me play better? Why not something that looks gorgeous and could be serious eye and arm candy, even if they end up causing more grief than comfort. Some Japanese niche forged clubs might fit the bill.

evemccc

Visit site
A reasonable golfer can play a reasonable round with any equipment, in my opinion.

I could play any course alone and be bored, even Augusta, what's the point of doing something if you can't do it with your friends. So not that bothered about playing famous courses.

So I'd join a 'nice' course if I could afford it, and have a knock with as many people as I could become friends with.

My ideal would be as it was about 8yrs ago..... play my own course, have a lot of friends, and join in as many forum meets as I could afford because most of you guys are AWESOME to meet and have a knock with (y)(y)(y)

As much as spending time with friends is good, I also enjoy playing golf alone sometimes

Definitely can’t get onboard with the idea of playing golf at Augusta and being bored...

A sunny dawn solo round at Augusta, followed by private jet to Monterey and a late afternoon / early evening sunset round at Cypress Point is quite possibly my favourite daydream

Complete with sashimi/sushi, bottle of Bollinger and a leggy blonde on the jet of course too..?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At last ?‍♂️
Someone spending it wisely... ? ?

My theory is

1) while being custom fitted over various years my golf has sat around 8-12hc, gear has made no difference. Also as my swing has varied over courses of lessons, the level to which the equipment has been effective has only been as good as the swing I’ve put on it.

2) I’ve been having lessons on and off since 2012 and the amount of times I revisit stuff over proves it doesn’t sink in.

3) a bucket list of courses is only going to be enjoyable in the right company.

4) all memberships near me are over £1500 as standard with courses like the addington being 2500 and I could do that on direct debit.

But my suggestion,
1) all the equipment in the world would effect it

2) it’d be a memory you don’t forget

3) I could punch above my weight

4) I wouldn’t have to explain to Mrs socks where 1500 disappeared to.

Winner! ?

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
As much as spending time with friends is good, I also enjoy playing golf alone sometimes

Definitely can’t get onboard with the idea of playing golf at Augusta and being bored...

A sunny dawn solo round at Augusta, followed by private jet to Monterey and a late afternoon / early evening sunset round at Cypress Point is quite possibly my favourite daydream

Complete with sashimi/sushi, bottle of Bollinger and a leggy blonde on the jet of course too..?

Can think of nothing worse than playing "solo" golf.
For me, golf is only enjoyable if you are playing with 2 or 3 like minded friends, or in competition (matchplay).
Give me a reasonable golf course, some mates, 30 points or more, and I'm happy.
;););)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

some of the hire clubs I used when on holiday down under two years ago were truly ancient and pretty awful...some real charity shop odds and sods stuff. But the courses I played were each stunning in their own ways, and the fact of my clubs didn‘t prevent me from hitting a ball round and enjoying a bit of golf while enjoying the experience and did not diminish one iota my enjoyment. Certainly I imagine the kangaroos and emus were as much amused by my golf as I was intrigued by their presence as an audience.