Which Course is Worst Value For Money

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having trouble answering the 'worst course' thread. For me it all depends on what is being charged and what the course if looking to be and base my expectations on that. For example, there is a little 9 hole course in my village. Not much more than a mown field but it was never meant to challenge Wentworth. It only costs a few quid and is fine for a quick knock in the evening. Yes, if you are rating the course with no other factors then it is pretty bad but take into account cost and what it is trying to achieve then it is absolutely fine and decent vale based on it costing not much more than a bucket of balls at a driving range.

So, what course is the worst value for money based on the course and experience you had compared to the green fee that you paid.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't play courses with high green fees so cannot really comment, however.

I played Bovey Castle in Devon when it was Mortenhampstead, it was a fine course but not Earth shattering, when the developers came in, made a few adjustments then started charging huge amounts for it, I'd never play there for that amount

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't play courses with high green fees so cannot really comment, however.
I think you might be missing the point. It's not about expensive courses, it's about value for money. You may pay £250 for a course and think it was great VFM or you may pay £20 for a course and feel you were ripped off.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you might be missing the point. It's not about expensive courses, it's about value for money. You may pay £250 for a course and think it was great VFM or you may pay £20 for a course and feel you were ripped off.

not missing the point at all, but bad value for money is going to more likely come from a more expensive course. I will pay between £20-30 for a round, so the course would have to be atrocious for that to be terrible value for money.

I also will do a lot research into a course and read reviews before bothering to play

D

Deleted member 21258

Hard one to pick, easier to pick value for money courses and had great surprises for a few pounds.:)

Think it would be RSG the second time I played it, think it was £190, still didn't love the course, had to wear trousers when sunny/high 20s and conditioning wasn't brilliant and have to park in the grassy paddock.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Stoke Park....
As you may remember, a wee while ago, I played there with Fragger, CVG and CVG's mate.
Fragger' had won an auction from a 4 ball voucher which included £30 for food afterwards.
The golf cost us £32.50 instead of in excess of £100.
I didn't think it was worth £20 let alone £110....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Stoke Park....
As you may remember, a wee while ago, I played there with Fragger, CVG and CVG's mate.
Fragger' had won an auction from a 4 ball voucher which included £30 for food afterwards.
The golf cost us £32.50 instead of in excess of £100.
I didn't think it was worth £20 let alone £110....
Nice clubhouse though.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Hard one to pick, easier to pick value for money courses and had great surprises for a few pounds.:)

Think it would be RSG the second time I played it, think it was £190, still didn't love the course, had to wear trousers when sunny/high 20s and conditioning wasn't brilliant and have to park in the grassy paddock.
Played RSG with a mate, Swinger and Frankie, and think we paid £125 each. Beautiful summers day, and probably one of the best value days I have had on a golf course.

I am biased as I love the course, and usually play well there. Lunch is not bad either.(y)

All about opinions.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The OP makes a great point... I mentioned Carswell as bad...but you can get on there for £15... and I imagine you could still have a fun round for that!

Rowly86's point is understandable, but also regional... I can think of some decent courses to be played in South Wales for £30, but you might struggle in and around the M25. ;)
Examples?
Anyone paying full rack rate for the Monty at Celtic Manor isn't going to be impressed....but few pay that. But get on for £30 or in a package? Tidy (as they say round here)

I really like Stoneham near Southampton, but I'd never pay £80 to play there!! Contrast Blackmoor at £70, no worries , here take £80! :)

Glyn says "Sunningdale anyone?"... yes mate... here's my wallet! Help yourself!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The OP makes a great point... I mentioned Carswell as bad...but you can get on there for £15... and I imagine you could still have a fun round for that!

Rowly86's point is understandable, but also regional... I can think of some decent courses to be played in South Wales for £30, but you might struggle in and around the M25. ;)
Examples?
Anyone paying full rack rate for the Monty at Celtic Manor isn't going to be impressed....but few pay that. But get on for £30 or in a package? Tidy (as they say round here)

I really like Stoneham near Southampton, but I'd never pay £80 to play there!! Contrast Blackmoor at £70, no worries , here take £80! :)

Think Blackmoor is £30 if you want to play with a dodgy member.(y)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

Examples?

Yes very true, my experienced living in London/Surrey won't be universal for everyone in terms of cost

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Like Rowley I don't pay more than £25 for a round and have a good look before I play anywhere. I've been the most disappointed playing Calverley near me, last 2 holes are horrendous (aparrently closed now) and the greens at the time on the course weren't great. Club shop non existent but the bar's decent :ROFLMAO:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rudding Park, Harrogate. A bit bland, semi is not deep but is thick and there is a lot of it. A long walk and the drinks are a rip off afterwards. It is not a bad course but considering the cost of the round plus drinks it is poor value for money.

Wolf

Visit site
There's a few I can name as poor VFM for me, The Ridge just outside Maidstone in Kent absolutely terrible VFM when I last played it bunkers were just compact clay, the tees were like Goat pens and one the greens you'd been better of chipping than putting, green fee was £25 and it was atrocious..

But I have one that tops that High Elms near Orpington, only played it once. Couldn't tell the difference between fairway and rough, you only knew what was a tee because they had markers in the ground they were terrible and the greens had so many tyre marks on where the locals ride their motor bikes over them it was atrocious. That has to be the worst VFM I've ever had and I didn't even pay for the round as it was free playing in a match for my previous club, even the members we played against kept apolsong for the state of the place.

VFM doesn't always mean expensive in my experience I'd rather pay more for better quality. But unless you try it you never know.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rudding Park, Harrogate. A bit bland, semi is not deep but is thick and there is a lot of it. A long walk and the drinks are a rip off afterwards. It is not a bad course but considering the cost of the round plus drinks it is poor value for money.

How much did you pay for the round? I really like Rudding. Playing it in a couple of weeks time on our society do.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
not missing the point at all, but bad value for money is going to more likely come from a more expensive course. I will pay between £20-30 for a round, so the course would have to be atrocious for that to be terrible value for money.

I also will do a lot research into a course and read reviews before bothering to play
I largely agree with this. I pay £20 a round or less, so for me to say a course is terrible, it has to be pretty much unplayable. The one I mentioned in the thread was that, but no other course I've ever played has been that bad. Almost any course has redeeming features somewhere.