Which country would you move to.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I would move to almost any country in Western Europe where I could gain access to American type food. I know Sainsbury's sells food I could cook.
Unfortunately, I'm not welcome with your immigration laws.
Italy might take me because I can prove full ethnicity, but neither my Irish wife nor our half-breed adult kids would follow.

Pretty sure McDonalds is everywhere now. ;)

sunshine

Visit site
We're not a would you, more a why did you?

The 2 main things are weather and cost of living. But that doesn't answer a question about where. We live in southern Spain but it wasn't our first or second choice. We researched the hell out of our choices, Italy, Portugal & Spain and in that order.

Italy; the heel of Italy(Puglia) or Sicily. We visited every year, sometimes twice a year for at least 10 years. We made lots of friends there amongst the locals., and some of the expats out there. As melodramatic as its sounds it was the Mafia that put us off. Goes as a tourist, and you're as safe as houses 95% of the time. Live there, and you have to pay your 'insurance.' Buy a house and there's a kick back. Get the utilities switched on and there's a kick back. It not much more than pennies but its there. Southern Italy is beautiful, and our fav place for holidays but its very corrupt.

Portugal; at the time that we were looking to buy Portugal was still well into its recession. There was talk of a levy of 10% on all bank accounts holding more than €xx. And there was also whispers of the military taking over the country again. 50 to 150 miles north of Lisbon is beautiful. Very green... for a reason, a bit wet in winter. Cheap as chips, both to buy and to live. The Algarve is expensive but not bad just inland, and a lot warmer, but although we holiday'd there often it just didn't blow us away..

South east Spain; very warm - think I've only needed long trousers through the day about 5 times this winter. Very cheap - our council tax is less a year than we were paying a month in the UK. A coffee in the bar in the village costs us €1.20 each, and we can do lunch for less then €2.50 each - we're away from the tourist areas. My pension goes 40% further, at least. And our 3 bed semi-villa cost less than £70k fully furnished, inc white goods, hence why we could retire so early. The people are lovely, especially away from the tourist areas. Go into a little bar in one of the villages, try a little Spanglish and they'll love you forever.

The downside; our children are in the UK, but are hours away from each other. If they lived close together we'd still be there. We miss our family but our 'visitor's' book is very full this year, as it was last year - here's hoping it still happens. We miss a few friends but we have loads here now we're retired, Spanish and Brits. Do I miss paying £3 for a putrid coffee in Starbucks, or paying £7 for a carvery in a Toby?

Really interesting read, thanks for sharing.

Given your 2nd choice was northern Portugal, did you consider NW Spain? Or other parts of Spain? Galicia is lovely -amazing food.

I lived in Barcelona and Valencia, fantastic places, I was younger and lived in the city centre, now if I went back I would be happier in a village with access to the city. Living near Valencia, playing golf at El Saler, stone's throw from the beach, going into the city at the weekend to watch the footy and have a night out. It's extremely seductive.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Canada, loved it when I travelled down there after a war exercise at BATUS.

Flew down to Vancouver, went all over Burnaby BC, Victoria etc for 2weeks, loved the place. Train back through the Rockies, would go back in a heartbeat.

D

Deleted member 1740

Canada, loved it when I travelled down there after a war exercise at BATUS.

Flew down to Vancouver, went all over Burnaby BC, Victoria etc for 2weeks, loved the place. Train back through the Rockies, would go back in a heartbeat.

Lovely, I’ll start the Whippy now.....one way ticket of course ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ok..who's surprised by this......:unsure::ROFLMAO:

I always thought they liked a good bar brawl, we’d had a few tough battles with the locals in Suffield & Medicine Hat, thought the city boys were going to be softer, they weren’t ?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ojai, but I couldn't afford it.

Key West, but my liver couldn't handle it.

The boss says we are staying here, so I've stopped worrying about it - and just accept the base cost of living is high, it rains, and I spend my time and spare cash travelling elsewhere.

Del_Boy

Head Pro
Visit site
We're not a would you, more a why did you?

The 2 main things are weather and cost of living. But that doesn't answer a question about where. We live in southern Spain but it wasn't our first or second choice. We researched the hell out of our choices, Italy, Portugal & Spain and in that order.

Italy; the heel of Italy(Puglia) or Sicily. We visited every year, sometimes twice a year for at least 10 years. We made lots of friends there amongst the locals., and some of the expats out there. As melodramatic as its sounds it was the Mafia that put us off. Goes as a tourist, and you're as safe as houses 95% of the time. Live there, and you have to pay your 'insurance.' Buy a house and there's a kick back. Get the utilities switched on and there's a kick back. It not much more than pennies but its there. Southern Italy is beautiful, and our fav place for holidays but its very corrupt.

Portugal; at the time that we were looking to buy Portugal was still well into its recession. There was talk of a levy of 10% on all bank accounts holding more than €xx. And there was also whispers of the military taking over the country again. 50 to 150 miles north of Lisbon is beautiful. Very green... for a reason, a bit wet in winter. Cheap as chips, both to buy and to live. The Algarve is expensive but not bad just inland, and a lot warmer, but although we holiday'd there often it just didn't blow us away..

South east Spain; very warm - think I've only needed long trousers through the day about 5 times this winter. Very cheap - our council tax is less a year than we were paying a month in the UK. A coffee in the bar in the village costs us €1.20 each, and we can do lunch for less then €2.50 each - we're away from the tourist areas. My pension goes 40% further, at least. And our 3 bed semi-villa cost less than £70k fully furnished, inc white goods, hence why we could retire so early. The people are lovely, especially away from the tourist areas. Go into a little bar in one of the villages, try a little Spanglish and they'll love you forever.

The downside; our children are in the UK, but are hours away from each other. If they lived close together we'd still be there. We miss our family but our 'visitor's' book is very full this year, as it was last year - here's hoping it still happens. We miss a few friends but we have loads here now we're retired, Spanish and Brits. Do I miss paying £3 for a putrid coffee in Starbucks, or paying £7 for a carvery in a Toby?
Hi Brian - wouldn’t mind picking your brain nearer the time as my wife and I are due to come to Mojacar end of June. Appreciate this may not happen but would be good to get your view nearer the time if the trip is likely to go ahead

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi Brian - wouldn’t mind picking your brain nearer the time as my wife and I are due to come to Mojacar end of June. Appreciate this may not happen but would be good to get your view nearer the time if the trip is likely to go ahead
Brian is our "man on the spot" so is the expert & fount of all knowledge. But am happy to offer a "frequent visitor" perspective if of any help.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm kind of a simple living guy who likes tranquility.

I'd be more than happy on Islay or similar. I'm not a sun worshiper. Just give me a few great beaches to walk, some spectacular coastlines and views and a great links track and I'm happy as Larry.

Plus an abundance of distilleries, some great dining, internet and sky tv I think I would be more than content. Also only 20 minute flight back to Glasgow.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Always fancied the East coast of Scotland for a summer retreat.
The trouble with moving away for me is leaving a community I've lived in and bought my family up in for 30 years. I think I'd find it tough to replace that, but maybe it would be fine. More out of my control is that I suspect that my wife definitely wouldn't want to leave it all behind.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm kind of a simple living guy who likes tranquility.

I'd be more than happy on Islay or similar. I'm not a sun worshiper. Just give me a few great beaches to walk, some spectacular coastlines and views and a great links track and I'm happy as Larry.

Plus an abundance of distilleries, some great dining, internet and sky tv I think I would be more than content. Also only 20 minute flight back to Glasgow.
Yeah I could easily do Islay... home of my favourite Whiskies though I'd also settle for Lamlash on Arran. Golf, fishing, sailing & walking Would defo have to be the W coast of Scotland