• I don't care as long as they are quiet, still and out of the way

Votes: 187 83.1%
  • I am now aware of HNSP etiquette and will be using it in the future

Votes: 3 1.3%

• Total voters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'll open a new post if I may as I was not able to make a simple point on this matter before the thread was closed.

I was taught from a young age by some gnarled old Glasgow muni golfers that it is best and good etiquette to stand facing a player teeing off. And so that is what I do when others are teeing off - unless they ask me to move of course. And for me I like the same. I won't always ask a player to move if they are standing behind me - though I might feel a little uncomfortable as I can't see what they are up to or maybe about to do (that might cause me a distraction mid-swing). But I really don't like someone standing a the back of the tee looking down the fairway as I am about to tee off. Maybe that's just me. They are in my peripheral vision - I don't want them there, and so I will usually ask them to move.

All the subsequent discussion about what pros put up with when teeing off on the other thread was 'besides the point' as far as my post that seemed to kick it off was concerned.

If you think you can stand wherever you want in vicinity to me when I am playing then that is entirely up to you - but be aware that I will ask you to move if I don;t like where you stand and will be well p*****d off with you if you don't. Basic golfing etiquette and respect for your fellow golfers.

Mods - you can now close this if you wish now that I have clarified my statement.

Ta

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spot on Hogan.
The only time it is correct to stand behind someone is when it is into a setting sun to follow their ball flight.
After asking your FC of course.

If someone stands behind me I would consider them to be a beginner who has yet to learn the game. They would soon be told to shift.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm, I got taught when I started (not that long ago), that in front of, but still slightly behind the person is a good idea.

If 12 o clock on the clock face is directly in front of the person as they tee off, I would stand a couple of metres away (shadow allowing) at about 1.30 on the clock face. Maybe I'll move to 1 o clock. Or 1.15. If they complain, I guess I could move to 12.50.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I will generally stand on the side of the tee that you approach it from which means you would either be facing towards me or away from me depending on the hole, I think others at our place generally do the same. I give what I consider to be plenty of space to the player playing and have never been told to move or had to ask someone to move. As long as they are quiet and not moving around I don't care or even notice where they are as my focus is on the shot, not who might be standing where.

G

guest100718

Spot on Hogan.
The only time it is correct to stand behind someone is when it is into a setting sun to follow their ball flight.

If someone stands behind me I would consider them to be a beginner who has yet to learn the game. They would soon be told to shift.

When you say behind I take it you mean looking down the line? I am OK with them to stand behind my back as it were depending what way we are facing off the teee. Just not in my peripheral vission.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
so long as you dont move suddenly when im swinging i dont mind where you are .. if your too close directly behind me i normally step back from the ball an start a practice swing , that will get people to step to one side ..:D

If someone asked me to move i would no problemo tho .. got a bit of as pain one day playing with a leftie & a rightie .. had to move to different side of box after one had played .. not a problem tho ..

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Spot on Hogan.

Can't believe anyone thinks this is important.

How about when you are hitting a shot from the fairway - do you expect your playing partners to stand opposite you then?

G

guest100718

This thread comes close to beating the 'How do you remove the flag' thread :mad:

Maybe, but its also quite annoying when you are readying to tee off and another golfer wanders over and stands looking down your line.

D

Deleted member 15344

so long as you dont move suddenly when im swinging i dont mind where you are .. if your too close directly behind me i normally step back from the ball an start a practice swing , that will get people to step to one side ..:D

If someone asked me to move i would no problemo tho .. got a bit of as pain one day playing with a leftie & a rightie .. had to move to different side of box after one had played .. not a problem tho ..

The sounds good to me - stand wherever you like just keep quiet/still.

Normally I stand by my bag if it's close to the tee or dependent on the sun stand at the back of the tee to the left or right depending on the player.

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe, but its also quite annoying when you are readying to tee off and another golfer wanders over and stands looking down your line.

Can't see why it is relevant where they are standing, as long as they are still and quiet. After all your supposed to be keeping your eye on the ball while playing your shot so you shouldnt see them whether they are in front, behind or to the side.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally agree with the OP with one caveat, Directly facing or directly behind if the tee box dictates, basically not in my vision.

My father in law is one of them who stands right in the wrong place.

If sun is in the face and we are helping one another spot the ball we stand where ever is best for ball spotting.

G

guest100718

The sounds good to me - stand wherever you like just keep quiet/still.

Normally I stand by my bag if it's close to the tee or dependent on the sun stand at the back of the tee to the left or right depending on the player.

It really should be that easy. But often isnt.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Im the opposite , I think its very important , its as easy to stand out of someones way as in a place they are not comfortable with ..

I'm not going to stand anywhere a fellow competitor is uncomfortable with - I'll move if they want too - just can't see why where someone stands has to be so rigid in some peoples minds.

When we play mixed opens I get annoyed with my missus when she rigidly stands opposite the person hitting the ball from their fairway/rough shots - in that situation you should be on your way to your own ball so you are ready to play as soon as they've hit their shot - she says that's what all the ladies do.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
Fair enough - but be aware that your playing partners may not feel the same or as comfortable. So when they are playing a shot, your responsibility is to them - not you.

So on the 1st tee I should ask where they want me to stand , come on , I show courtesy , I don't move or talk , or stand behind surely that's enough , maybe your finicky way would be off putting to me , therefore putting me off my game ?