When does lie angle become negligible?

Mattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all

So I'm tall and my irons are fitted but my driver / woods/ hybrid are standard length etc.

I'm assuming after a certain length lie angle bears very little significance on shot shape or does it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Drivers are in the main are hit off tees and lie angle is not important.

Lie angle is mainly about how the club interacts with the ground so it becomes subject to the actual design of the sole of hybrids and fairways a well rounded sole on the club and it should not make that much difference.

If you have clubs that can adjust the angle then they may also have a setting that just changes the lie angle without changing the face angle.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My angle is 2° flat which I found out at my first ever fitting at the grand old age of 57. It has helped me to give a cleaner strike to my shots.
I did always struggle with hybrids off the floor and was told at my fitting that they are not best suited to a flat lie. In the end I found a Cleveland Classic Hybrid suited me but for me, lie did make an order.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I didn't put much store in the lie angle stuff for the normal handicap golfer and considered it just one of these techie things some try out in an attempt to improve their game.

However it seems that I was wrong. So very wrong. By 'gripping down' a little on every club the change in my ball striking has been very marked indeed - and it has promoted a more upright stance that seems to help with my other main issue, the hosel finding the ball.

And when I mentioned this to my pro he said lie angle more suited to me promotes better strike and also less likely to present hosel to ball.

Count me convinced.

D

Deleted member 21258

I thought lie angle was more about getting the club face pointing at the target(normally), at impact.

As if your lie is to flat(down), then you will tend to hit the ball right. (think I have that round the right way, I know I have longer clubs and more upright, as I used to hit my irons right. Now I hit them both ways of target:LOL:)

I think as a result of that, when the loft becomes less, then the clubface remains more pointed at the target irrelevant of the lie angle delivered. Which is what the Tram said.

You try it with your own clubs and look where the clubface points as you angle the shaft up and down and you will see.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hold a pencil perpendicular to the club face and note where it points. Then moved the club face around and watch the change in where it points (helps explain why we don't normally go so skewiff direction-wise when hitting the lofted clubs compared with the straighter-faced ones)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Sorry, "fake news" ?

The less loft on the driver is the reason, nothing to do with hitting off the tee. If you hit a sand wedge that's too upright off a tee, it will go left.

This business about the heel hitting the ground and changing where the face points is fine if you want to hit every shot fat ?, but apart from that it's an old wives tale.
You may be correct, but I don't give a toss about how an over-upright SW acts off a tee! It's how a club interacts with the ground (heel or toe dominant) that is important to me! And Yes, I know that in 'proper' shots I'm hitting ball first, but getting lie angle right (and consistent) for me made a huge difference to the consistency of my strike across all irons!

And again, the effect of lie angle for a driver is pretty irrelevant too - it's a tiny amount and I'd automatically compensate after a swing or 2!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
What makes you think, just because you're tall, your lie angle will be other than standard. It's the wrist to floor measurement which is important & that is surprisingly consistent to people of widely varying heights, excluding knuckle draggers like me who need clubs 3° flat.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What makes you think, just because you're tall, your lie angle will be other than standard. It's the wrist to floor measurement which is important & that is surprisingly consistent to people of widely varying heights, excluding knuckle draggers like me who need clubs 3° flat.
You are not alone! I have short legs/long back for my height! Beneficial as a Tennis player, but not so as a Golfer. And excluded a few (undesirable anyway) positions in Rugby!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lie angle is important off a tee or off the ground. Ground contact is not necessary for an incorrect lie angle to affect direction. An upright lie points left, a flat lie right in both situations.

Take a 7 iron with a perfect lie angle, square to the target line. Move the grip down towards the ground at your feet. The face points further and further left as you do and it is no longer square as you effectively make the club more upright. The opposite happens with flatness.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Whilst I agree, I've twice been static measured and given an upright club to use on the lie board. After a number of hits and tweaks I've ended up back at standard - which I expect is a result of various dynamic adjustments in my wonky swing ? Maybe next time I'll be brave, go with the measure and play/adjust into them.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Height and wrist to floor measurements give you a starting point but cannot be done on their own, you then must do a dynamic test of the lie to check it as the static measurement does not factor in your swing. Generally the toe of the club sits slightly in the air as the club will flex downwards a little at impact flattening the angle. You can also check your divots to see if they are deeper on one side or fairly uniform in depth.