When did you last play?

Visit site
Our place hasn’t been closed at all over the last couple of weeks, simple incredible really.

Standing on the 1st tee at 9.30am in pouring rain, after heavy rain overnight, with only a few temps in play 👏 👏 👏

JayB

Visit site
Attempted to play on Saturday, covered in mud, the course was wrecked and nearly lost my shoes walking down the 4th fairway. Decided to give up and go home at that point.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
15th October, a combination of the weather and the chest infection I’ve not been able to shake, I went to the range on Saturday and hit balls for the first time since I last played. Due to play on Sunday, let’s see how the weather holds up!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played on Christmas Eve, unfortunately with Christmas and then me being away for four days I've not been able to play since then. Was going to play tomorrow on my last day off, but since it's 99.9% likely the course will be closed due to this horrendous weather, I've booked an indoor simulator with a mate instead.

I guess everyone's different but the only times weather stop me playing are;
1. The course is actually closed.
2. I know it's going to be torrential rain from start to finish, then I wouldn't bother going out. A shower here and there is no issue though.
3. Snow, I guess. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played on Christmas Eve, unfortunately with Christmas and then me being away for four days I've not been able to play since then. Was going to play tomorrow on my last day off, but since it's 99.9% likely the course will be closed due to this horrendous weather, I've booked an indoor simulator with a mate instead.

I guess everyone's different but the only times weather stop me playing are;
1. The course is actually closed.
2. I know it's going to be torrential rain from start to finish, then I wouldn't bother going out. A shower here and there is no issue though.
3. Snow, I guess. 😂

I have cancelled tomorrow's round in favour of taking the kids swimming because of the rain, I'll just play Thursday instead 🤣

Couldn't imagine not playing through winter

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit off topic .
I have noticed on this thread lots of players saying the course should be closed.
Few years ago my course would be closed with the amount of rain we’ve had here this week.

But now it never closes it lets golfers decide themselves if they can play or not.
This is a big change in thinking imo.

Whats the reasoning behind this is it financial getting bodies in the clubhouse ?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit off topic .
I have noticed on this thread lots of players saying the course should be closed.
Few years ago my course would be closed with the amount of rain we’ve had here this week.

But now it never closes it lets golfers decide themselves if they can play or not.

Whats the reasoning behind this is it financial getting bodies in the clubhouse ?
For us it's down to having a new Course manager , well 2 years in now and his mantra is if the weather is really crap not many golfers will play and he can deal with the traffic they create. This is by daily moving of ropes, daily divotting of tees, and from his inputs throughout the summer creating the best fairways , approaches and greens we've every had . No temporary greens also which is a huge plus.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A half dozen holes this afternoon by myself.

Course was well playable but tbh I’d not be disappointed if it was closed. It’s taking a right battering and really suffering - and I’m concerned about how well it’ll recover for next season. So wet and getting muddy and thoroughly trodden in many places. It desperately needs a rest. That said…the greens are splendid for this time of year.

Mind you, the rain since 4pm points towards closure tomorrow and much more rain forecast for next few days.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not played since the end of October I don't think and that was only 9 holes or so.

Been sent pictures of the course and there's standing water in places I've never seen it before so don't feel like I'm missing out much. There's even been standing water on the likes of Old Links which is testament to how much rain we've had recently.

Furthermore my membership has now lapsed and I don't think I'll be renewing so not sure when I'll next be playing either. Probably when/if I get an invite to one of the local links courses at this rate.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Boxing Day although it shouldn't have been open and was reduced to 14 holes. Hit it nicely but didn't enjoy the conditions. It is closed today, and I anticipate tomorrow too given the rain, so at least the greens and tees will get a much needed break

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Bit off topic .

We are the exact opposite. A few years ago, the course would remain open for everything but snow. There would be rope and consequently muddy paths on each and every hole, and balls would plug on every shot.

Now we never have balls plug, we are not allowed on the course if it's that soft. There is hardly any rope, you don't need it if the course is shut. The condition of the course is unbelievably good for this time of the year, there is no mud nor any muddy tracks anywhere, I've never seen it in such a good condition in January.

If that sounds good, it's not. The course has been closed more than it has been open, which is having a massive impact financially. I have been told that they have had to take out a large overdraft. I'm assuming they have convinced the bank that it can be serviced, so that is positive.

Unfortunately there is another 3 months of winter and my big fear is that come the spring we have a course which is in outstanding condition, but not enough members left to finance it as they have all gone elsewhere, or worse still no club at all due to lack of finance.

I do hope they know what they are doing, they have always looked after the club well, but this is unprecedented territory and I'm not sure if they have a plan to deal with it.

My plan would be simple, get the course open where you can and deal with the consequences once everything starts growing.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A half dozen holes this afternoon by myself.

Course was well playable but tbh I’d not be disappointed if it was closed. It’s taking a right battering and really suffering - and I’m concerned about how well it’ll recover for next season. So wet and getting muddy and thoroughly trodden in many places. It desperately needs a rest. That said…the greens are splendid for this time of year.

Mind you, the rain since 4pm points towards closure tomorrow and much more rain forecast for next few days.
It’s closed…

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
3 of us pulled out of a 4 ball on Sunday as it had rained hard for the previous few days, the 4th player ventured out soon but text me to say how very wet it was, not long after receiving the text it absolutely hosed it down. I would normally play tomorrow but it's still raining now, so I guess, with the weather due to brighten up after today, that the next game will be Sunday for the Captains drive in .

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 of us pulled out of a 4 ball on Sunday as it had rained hard for the previous few days, the 4th player ventured out soon but text me to say how very wet it was, not long after receiving the text it absolutely hosed it down. I would normally play tomorrow but it's still raining now, so I guess, with the weather due to brighten up after today, that the next game will be Sunday for the Captains drive in .
A Drive In in early January :oops: . That's bold. Does bad weather not impact it quite regularly?

All of the clubs I've been at have had the Drive In early April, start of the new season. Yes it can have bad weather still but the chance are it will be better than January.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A Drive In in early January :oops: . That's bold. Does bad weather not impact it quite regularly?

All of the clubs I've been at have had the Drive In early April, start of the new season. Yes it can have bad weather still but the chance are it will be better than January.
I don't disagree but rarely is it cancelled. Occasionally it's delayed a week or two but that is rare