When did you last play?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've twice experienced 40°C. I barely functioned and practically crawled to an air conditioned bar, just for soft drinks as I'd sweated enough for a thimble fun of beer to knock me over. The thought of playing golf in it, not happening.

AussieKB

Visit site
I've twice experienced 40°C. I barely functioned and practically crawled to an air conditioned bar, just for soft drinks as I'd sweated enough for a thimble fun of beer to knock me over. The thought of playing golf in it, not happening.
Yet when I was in England I played during the winter, look back now and think I must have been crazy, played Royal Wimbledon when it starting snowing on the 17th, played 18th and conceded the hole even though I had a birdie putt to win it, stated that when the clubs on my back came off next was when I put them in the boot.

We went into the clubhouse, had a round of drinks and when I came out the fairways were white, first time I had seen snow settle in London.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yet when I was in England I played during the winter, look back now and think I must have been crazy, played Royal Wimbledon when it starting snowing on the 17th, played 18th and conceded the hole even though I had a birdie putt to win it, stated that when the clubs on my back came off next was when I put them in the boot.

We went into the clubhouse, had a round of drinks and when I came out the fairways were white, first time I had seen snow settle in London.
It's what you are used to. I'm not saying I enjoy cold weather, I don't and I couldn't live in places like Detroit, Chicago, Canada and the like who have horrible winters. We tend to be fairly moderate here with just the odd few weeks of minus levels or snow. 40°C is as bad as -10°C to me, I wouldn't be playing in either (I'd just be sat inside next to a fire or air con)

AussieKB

Visit site
It's what you are used to. I'm not saying I enjoy cold weather, I don't and I couldn't live in places like Detroit, Chicago, Canada and the like who have horrible winters. We tend to be fairly moderate here with just the odd few weeks of minus levels or snow. 40°C is as bad as -10°C to me, I wouldn't be playing in either (I'd just be sat inside next to a fire or air con)
True...horses for courses, but it is amazing how you acclimatize to a new country.

Albo

Visit site
Yeah mid-high 30's used to be a physical shock to the body but over time you get used to it and now I actually start layering up on the course at low 20's
I can’t play in more than a T-shirt it the temp gets above 9!!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a Stableford Comp yesterday along with 15 other Seniors. We must all have been thinking that the solid, frozen greens would thaw out. With wind-chill of around -5* .... they didn't! It was a case of adapting your game & 'landing your ball just off the green so that it trickled on' or suffering a 10ft first bounce if landed on it. OH, & hope you get a lot of luck.
I managed all of that & with 19pts on the front with 3 pars, & 16pts on the back, thought I'd walk it but a 23 H/capper faired even better with 38pts (off our winter course 39pts is playing to H/cap)..... 30pts took 3rd place!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
With -5* before wind chill, being forecast for this Wed, I don't think I'll be riding my luck again, especially as yesterday was a 'double handwarmer round' & just 10 mins short of 5hrs.... oh no not again though, otherwise, it was a lovely winters day for a walk.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
41 Degrees is savage.
I couldn't cope with that.
I'd spend all day sitting in a Jacuzzi with a beer.
In 2022 we had two days that were 39-40 in England didn't we? I was working from home for one of those, I sat wearing just a pair of shorts and I kept soaking a towel in cold water and wearing it over my head. Could not cope at all. Felt like my head was going to pop otherwise. The other day I was in the office which had air conditioning thankfully.

D

Deleted member 1147

Last saturday, my first game since November and it was delightful. The game was a mixed bag, but not too bad.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Today. The first time since before Christmas that we've had a full 18 holes open and all the greens were like bell iron, which was fine as they were consistent if impossible to hold. Some of the fairways were running liked a baked summer, but it was the rough that was the biggest challenge, with seemly a large clump of frozen mud behind the ball on each visit making it impossible to take the ball first.

And then on the 11th it started snowing, laying obviously. By the 18th putting was a joyous lottery. Not to be taken too seriously.

While we sat in the bar after the snow turned to rain, and it was all washed away. Perfect.

Edit. I didn't put a card in, sorry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Weekend stableford last weekend. 36 points and no blobs but a sloppy finish and a stone cold putter did for my chances of winning. A 0.3 cut to start 2024 so a good start. Should have won the Sunday roll up but again a couple of sloppy mistakes at the end of the round saw me miss by a point. Game in a good place but looking at my range of putters as I need to find something to spark some confidence.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did not help me today, it was bloody hot out there, could not hole a putt, now enjoying a few cold ones......
I have been wallpaper hanging.
Snow everywhere so course is closed. ( not that I would play anyway it’s freezing)

getting it out of the way while weather is bad!

Enjoy your beer, regards.🍺🍺🍺