When did you last buy a new driver and why?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bought the wife a Callaway XR Speed driver two years ago after 2 hours of testing different models in an indoor range with full set up. Went to the range to try it out, I had a go with it and smashed three balls arrow straight. Went back to the store the next day and after another hour of swapping shafts came away with the exact same model. AS I got a tighter dispersion with the ladies shaft. I have since changed the shaft to have the longer mens senior shaft (exact same model) so now get an extra 15 yards as well. BOOM !

No chance of me swapping EVER!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bought the wife a Callaway XR Speed driver two years ago after 2 hours of testing different models in an indoor range with full set up. Went to the range to try it out, I had a go with it and smashed three balls arrow straight. Went back to the store the next day and after another hour of swapping shafts came away with the exact same model. AS I got a tighter dispersion with the ladies shaft. I have since changed the shaft to have the longer mens senior shaft (exact same model) so now get an extra 15 yards as well. BOOM !

No chance of me swapping EVER!
Time to update your sig then!:rolleyes:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw a Stealth and a Rogue in the flesh tonight....one of them looks stunning at address.The best thing about the other is its red face.?

JGolfer

Visit site
Bought a Sim Max 2, a few months ago. Was giving up a lot on the tee (100-103mph SS, but my carry was only 200 yards), went for a fit, they knocked 3500rpm of spin off, and massively increased dispersion. Also it suits my eye much better.

Gained around 25yards in carry.

(lesson has also gained me 25 ish)

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Saw a Stealth and a Rogue in the flesh tonight....one of them looks stunning at address.The best thing about the other is its red face.?

Just shows we are all different as I prefer the look of the Stealth driver, I don't like the shape of the Callaway at address but I do like the colour & the look of the matt crown.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last bought a "new" driver about 4 years ago - a secondhand Callaway XR with a couple of spare shafts. (Got it from the For Sale/Wanted section if this forum - from Oddsocks I think?) It was to replace a driver that had "gone missing" in some woods after a tantrum on a golf holiday. I fancied a shiney new one about 15 months ago so went in our studio and tested several different brands and models on the monitor. Upshot was that our Pro said "If I was a salesman, I'd say that you should get 'that one' (a Callaway Rogue if I recall). But if I'm honest, stick with the one you've got. You hit that better than any of these ..." So I still have the old one. (Sort of still fancy a shiney new one though).

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last bought a "new" driver about 4 years ago - a secondhand Callaway XR with a couple of spare shafts. (Got it from the For Sale/Wanted section if this forum - from Oddsocks I think?) It was to replace a driver that had "gone missing" in some woods after a tantrum on a golf holiday. I fancied a shiney new one about 15 months ago so went in our studio and tested several different brands and models on the monitor. Upshot was that our Pro said "If I was a salesman, I'd say that you should get 'that one' (a Callaway Rogue if I recall). But if I'm honest, stick with the one you've got. You hit that better than any of these ..." So I still have the old one. (Sort of still fancy a shiney new one though).

Glad the old girl is serving you well, which shaft did you end up using?

I’m only on a my second. ?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Glad the old girl is serving you well, which shaft did you end up using?

I’m only on a my second. ?
Can't remember offhand (ie without looking) precisely what the two shafts were - but I'm using the one that's the heavier 60g Regular shaft (as opposed to the one that's slightly lighter & Stiff)

Mike79

Visit site
Got my Titleist 915 in 2016 and got on ok with it. Played with shaft options last year and think went one extreme to the other (too stiff/low spinning to too flexible and ballooning). Walked through the pro shop heading to the range in Dec and they had a TS3 at a bargain price. Tried it, liked it. I’m going to a Titleist fitting in a few weeks to see how far off I am with it - I’m hoping they can give me some pointers as to whether it’s right or what I should change. Fingers crossed. If I bought something not right, I’ll sell it on and likely won’t lose much on it.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Try another fitter. There is no such thing as a fitting that won't improve your numbers. It's what fitting is.

I was fit for my current driver by the same fitter. Had a fitting for stealth plus head with a matching shaft to mine and various alternatives, tweaked down the loft to 7 degree and couldn’t improve on my current driver numbers as I’m just spinning it more optimally which is my own issue due to spinning high.

Not a fit issue, my SZ just spins much less with weight forward which is what I need.

To warrant buying one id need to see 10-20 yards and improved consistency. Not seen that after a few dozen balls. Lost 10-15 yards due to spin however it was more forgiving on mis-hits.

Also have reservations on the carbon face, I’d certainly not want to be first in line to buy one I’d rather see what the failure rate is like first.