When did you last buy a new driver and why?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought my Titleist 910 in 2012 after a fitting at Celtic Manor (also fitted for a 3 wood at the same time). Still using both and unless they break I cannot see me changing anytime soon. Before these I had a Ping G5 driver and a Callaway 3 wood. The Ping used spin like crazy and into wind went absolutely nowhere. I can still carry the 910 around 240 yards and at my age I cannot see that the latest new fangled equipment will get me a big enough gain to warrant spending £400

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
After a couple of years of very iffy driving I replaced my Ping G400 for a Cobra Radspeed, did a lesson with the pro from whom I bought it and now I'm tonking the ball more frequently like I did a couple of years back

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought one late season before last, a Cally Mavrik with a 70g shaft. The reason was that I was getting very quick in the backswing and at the top and decided that more weight in the shaft would reduce this tendency, which it did. Over the winter break, I have been working on drills to slow the backswing and transition and I think that these should take, so I am considering going back to a 60g shafts, probably by picking up a TSi3.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Last new one was the original Epic..will be trying some new ones soon but my 7 year old Cally 815 is going so well it'll be hard to beat...and I'll need 10-15 yards and better dispersion before the credit card gets some action..
I don't like, and never have, the 2 tone or coloured heads. I like the black/fade to carbon heads or solid black/dark, dark blue..
Far from convinced by the face of the Stealth..looks are unimportant to some but important to me....

D

Deleted member 15344

Got the SIM about 3 weeks before the first lockdown - can’t see me changing it for a while, been the best driver I have had , will test the stealth but unless it’s a significant improvement it will be hard to justify the cost

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never bought a brand spanking new Driver and doubt I ever will. Just so overpriced! Though I've been happy to spend extra on Tour heads and occasionally exotic shafts in the past.
Last Driver change was to an 'old mans Driver' (Adams Speedline Tech w Matrix Rul 54 shaft) to compensate for loss of distance consequential to need for and recovery from hip replacement(s). That was getting near to 5 years ago. I'll be returning to the Adams XTD w Matrix Code 6 soon (I hope).

Fabia999

Visit site
Bought a brand new Titleist TS1 last year in the middle of lockdown. I previously had a Mizuno JPX EZ driver and traded it in for the same price i bought it for.

I'll never be the longest but I hit 8/10 down the middle so I can't see me changing anytime soon

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
For me tends to be every 4 or 5 years. I seem to like Titleist drivers having gone 905 / 910 / 915 / TSI3, they just seem to suit my eye and give me best results. I've never really got on with Taylormade or Callaway drivers for some reason (always give each release a hit) which helps in this regard as Titleist have a 2 year release cycle

I found the TSI3 quite a bit better than the 915, when middled both were with a couple of yards but TSI3 distance averages, dispersion and forgiveness particularly my necky cutty mishit were miles better. Also got an amazing deal on it from my Pro which helped.

Given the prices of new drivers nowadays I can see this staying in the bag a long time as I really like hitting it and the temptation to change is definitely impacted by potential cost for what I guess would be minimal gains if any.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
October 2016 and only because the shaft in my current one snapped. Luckily it was after my partner and I had won the Greensomes Ladies club final and not during it.

Stealthdrawer

Visit site
HI I bought as brand new Cobra Speedzone late 2020 as a retirement gift for myself, i got it off Ebay for £270 which at that time was £70 less that normal price of £350
i then sold my TM R15 for £90 a few days later so in effect got a brand new state of the art driver for £180 !! Its been a fine beast for me and i had a good number of very nice drives with it,

however if i were to purchase a driver again in the future i would want to do a custom fit !! (the 2022 Cobra drivers look very nice i actually saw one about 3 months ago when Cobra reps came to speak to our professional, notice thoughits £399 rrp !!)
cheers SD

RichA

Visit site
I bought a TM M2 2017 just over a year ago. I had only just started playing again after a 10 year break.
I've never had a driver fitting and bought it in standard spec without testing any others.
It was £225 brand new, which seemed like a bargain for a new driver that my research suggested was very well regarded, even 3 years after its launch.
On a good day, it goes further than I ever dreamed I would hit a golf ball.
On a bad day, I'm well aware that I'm at fault, not the driver.
I can't see myself changing it when the average price is over £400 and similarly skilled friends with newer, smarter drivers aren't finding any greater distance or accuracy.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I brought a Mizuno driver back in September. Played a round with the Craw who had one, had I few goes with his and it was a pleasant surprise, went long, high and straight. It was the model before last and got the same spec as the one I'd tried, true to form once it was one the course the performance was well below the one Crawford had?.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I brought a Mizuno driver back in September. Played a round with the Craw who had one, had I few goes with his and it was a pleasant surprise, went long, high and straight. It was the model before last and got the same spec as the one I'd tried, true to form once it was one the course the performance was well below the one Crawford had?.
Crawford's probably had Special Sauce on it......;)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Because the TM R360 that I had for some time was declared illegal.

Bought a Ping G10. My last brand new driver. All bought from club pro.

Replaced that a few years later with a Cobra f-speed (£25 off the club pro) that was/is older than the G10.
Still have both.

Don't think I will ever buy a brand new driver again.

I've bought two second hand drivers this year already.
This St Andrew one for 99p including headcover collected in person
St A driver face.jpg

and 1,3,5 Slazenger Accupower set for £11 inc postage will arrive soon.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As you say used is okay, my latest was bought 4 days ago and is a Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra" laminated (part of a 3 wood set, 1, 3 & 5) with stiff shaft.
I bought it because it came with a set of Wilson Staff Dynapower "Turfrider Sole" irons that I was after.

I'll probably play it in a month or so for a week.

I like a persimmon driver with black paint and a red insert, MacGregor produce some real head-turners but they're hard to find in the UK and usually command a high price.
Not brand loyal but most of my woods are UK made.
Most are from ebay.
I usually change driver once a week, sometimes more often.
They're always used and I'll never buy a new driver again.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cobra Amp Cell. It's fugly but, importantly, it's blue.

It's been in my bag for 9 years or thereabouts, it's always worked well for me. Early into its life I put a shorter and stiffer Diamana shaft on it and I got much more consistency. Haven't felt the need to change it since. I have changed every other club in the bag multiple times but this driver was THE ONE. Not sure what I'll do when it breaks, it certainly doesn't feel like it's got to the end of its life yet. I should probably treat it to a new grip.

D

Deleted member 16999

PXG Driver in the summer as it was only £205.00 brand new and I thought it would be fun to try it out against my Mizuno. It’s currently in the bag as it seems a bit more consistent.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a TM Sim driver last,year ex demo, played with it for 2 rounds and resold it.

I had a TS3 late last year S/H from a mate tried it with 2 different shafts over 4 rounds and resold it

Still using the M4 from a few years ago but I put a non stock shaft in it. I have also tried 3 other shafts with it.

D

Deleted member 1740

Bought a G425 about 2months ago, bit of an impulse purchase ?‍♂️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
New driver in July last year. Ping G425 Max.

Why did I buy a new driver? I snapped my Ping G10...bought off my pro for £50 many years previously. My driver at that time was a Callaway Steelhead III - so you can see I don't change driver very often - as I don't change clubs very often (every 15-20yrs).

Why did I buy a Ping? My Club Pro is a Ping stockist and he gave me a little discount on the driver as I was replacing ALL of my clubs (woods and irons) other than my putter at the same time.

I have no interest in brands, no brand loyalty, and no interest in spending a load of time trying out a dozen or whatever different brands of club or different shafts - as I knew (and it is being borne out) that no matter what I bought I would struggle with it at first as I was going to completely change my swing once I had the new clubs.

My Pro knows me well, and knows my swing - and I know that he wouldn't dare have me spend a LOT of money buying any club (never mind a full set) that I would struggle endlessly with or that in some way didn't suit me.