Whats your temperament like?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watching the golf last night and Greg Owen in particular I believe his temperament cost him the title.
Smashing the ground after a poor tee shot and then breaking his club meant to me that he had a meltdown at that point[did he ever recover] did he lose the tournament at that moment.

So my question is whats your temperament like.

A long long time ago when I was a 12 handicapper trying to get to single figures I was what I call a angry golfer.

I would smash a club into the ground and have been known to hit my trolley,then I realised my anger was stopping me getting to single figures,as soon as I smelt the roses so to speak and learnt to putt I got to single figures.

Now im a lot calmer even if I do suffer from Torettes at times.

I have played with club throwers off this forum and people who are in my Torettes society.

So are you a angry player or a calm player or somewhere in between.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My temperament is my biggest issue by far.

I get too negative too quickly which obviously affects my scoring.

I'm not a club chucker or trolley kicker, but I have been known to turn the air very blue at times.

Yes, I am working on this.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a weakness of mine in some respects. Not the club-slinging, but the getting mad and beating myself up when I do something silly. As for the effing and jeffing? There are some times when "Oh dear" just won't suffice.:D

I too am on 12 but am only .1 away from 13. Going through one of those annoying phases of playing great in bounce games but very flaky in comps.
Only this weekend I resolved to adopt your calmer approach and here's hoping that it might yield similar results.:cheers:

Last edited:

walliams8

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Calm calm calm!

Used to be a bit angry and over the top , but learnt to control it and has helped me with better consistency. I try to react to every shot the same , whether it's holing a 25 footer or leaving it 6 foot short .

I still release my anger in parts as I feel it's important to , but I release it to myself so half the course doesn't know !

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm pretty Zen out there. Many reasons I could go into but they boil down to

1. Naturally easy going
2. Understand it will achieve nothing

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
About 9 holes... If I'm having a really bad day it takes me about 9 holes to really lose it. I go from accepting a bad shot, to growling a little at myself, to an "argh, duck it," to a an almighty release of anger that includes a foot stamp.... a club chuck might happen once a year, with it going all of a few feet. Once that's happened I'll relax and enjoy the day.

Berger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My temperament is my biggest issue by far.

I get too negative too quickly which obviously affects my scoring.

I'm not a club chucker or trolley kicker, but I have been known to turn the air very blue at times.

Yes, I am working on this.

I'm the same. I don't throw clubs or anything like that but i let things get to me far too easily. Far too often I let a bad hole turn into 3 or 4 bad holes because i lose the head. And not just that, things like slow play and bad etiquette can get to me too.

On our 3rd hole on Saturday my ball was in the rough between the 3rd and 5th holes. As i do with every shot i checked it was my ball when I got to it. A guy playing the 5th came and asked me was it my ball because his landed in the same area, i checked again and told him yes. Then just as a I started my backswing he piped up "hold on a second, are you playing a titleist 4?" That really annoyed me and I let it get to me. So much so that after the double-bogey on that hole i dinged the next 2.

I know its something i need to fix, but its easier said than done.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Calm calm calm!

Used to be a bit angry and over the top , but learnt to control it and has helped me with better consistency. I try to react to every shot the same , whether it's holing a 25 footer or leaving it 6 foot short .

I still release my anger in parts as I feel it's important to , but I release it to myself so half the course doesn't know !

this more often laugh at myself rather than chuck a club.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
A little swear to my self , club in the bag and move on ..

Was on a good round last week 1 over thru 11 , Stroke play off the back tees ,

Hole 12 Index 17, Driveable par 4 (easy par ; possible birdie to go back even)

Bad drive putts ball in the trees on left , suck it up take the punishment , punched it right of the green , guys tell me it takes mad bounce and up under back lip of r/h bunker .. hacked it , out across green , into foot print in back of the other bunker , had to just play sideways no hope of getting out , anyhow i finished with a triple bogey 7 to go to +4
4 pars, 1 bogey , 1 birdie finish , sees me in at +4 css at 73 & a 1.2 cut ..

Had a great start that day 444443 to be -1 thru 6 , but im far happier with the 435444 level par finish after the 12th..

Ya cant change it so you mat let it go .

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty good as a rule but not perfect. Doesn't help any to get mad. Complain too much (usually under my breath to myself) about bad breaks when should accept them better and remember that if you clip a branch or some such you shouldn't have been that close to the tree!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
In life I am a total over reactor, drama queen and whatever else. At golf and with golf I think I am as calm as anyone. I will talk to myself out loud now and then "Oh Alex what was that" or maybe a little more colorful but that's rare.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In life I am a total over reactor, drama queen and whatever else. At golf and with golf I think I am as calm as anyone. I will talk to myself out loud now and then "Oh Alex what was that" or maybe a little more colorful but that's rare.

That's pretty rare from my experience, and a good way to have it too - i know several quietly spoken types who turn into the Hulk with a club in their hand :D

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Interesting comments and I know there are others that feel their anger effects their games.

I can safely say that anger will cost you more shots than not.

Even if your not a swearer or club thrower just getting hot under the collar can cost shots.

I wish sometimes I could heed my own advice.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a swearer, over and done with very quickly. Followed by club being placed in the bag with a little more force the necessary......another chip in the forged irons, oh for some iron head covers!!!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I only really call myself an idiot or forcefully put the club back in the bag if other folk have seen my hit a bad one. If there's no one around I tend not to bother too much.