What's the difference between a chip and a pitch?

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
I only ask because this months GM has a tip with Gary Alliss talking about spinning your chips. But in one of the pictures he has hinged his wrists. I though chips were played without wrist hinge and that what he is demonstrating is a mini pitch? So is the difference determined by distance not technique?

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always believed that a Chip is played around the green where you get the ball onto the green at the earlest point and let it run out. A pitch was a shot played into the green from a greater distance anything from a 100yrds took a bounce and bite on the second bounce with little role out. I used to see a lot of youngsers trying to spin their chips with little success.

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A chip spends more time on the ground and a pitch more time in the air.
A chip/pitch a little more in the air but still mostly on the ground
A Pitch/chip a little more on the ground but mostly in the air.
And if you're using the linear method or the S&T, it's different again

:clap:

P.S.
It's much harder to sh*nk a chip than it is a pitch (but not impossible)

Last edited:

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
So is the difference determined by distance not technique?

Not in my mind. No way, Jose.

I've chipped the ball 50 or more yards before, only on Links admittedly.
Pitch = up in the air
Chip = along the ground

Playing a big chip with a non-wedge club breaking the wrists is for the insanely talented, or when needs dictate. Can see it spinning much either.

I'm confused and need to lie down. :(

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd argue it's to do with time in the air vs total length of shot.

e.g - 50yds from flag, ball spends 90% of time in the air, 10% rolling on ground = pitch

50yds from flag, balls spends 40% of time in the air, 60% rolling on ground = chip

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I like these questions because they make you think about things you have been doing for years!

Personally I would categorise a chip as a shot played without the intention to use spin ie it's natural angles for launch and the ball just rolls out.

A pitch would generaly intend to use some element of spin to check the roll of the ball, uses unatural launch angles - but could well include low shots, those that will roll more than they flew etc.

This delinination has no basis in any definitions I have seen, but then again so many are contradictory that's not saying a lot!

The only meaningfull alternative is that put forward by Bobmac ie it depend on the ratio of air travel to roll.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think there's a few definitions flying around and no one standard again as it seems to be with golf. Utley would argue you'd use a wrist hinge for pretty much every shot but a putt.

He defines chipping as something like reducing the loft of the club through impact, hitting the ball first and then the ground with the leading edge of the club.

Conversely he describes pitching as playing the shaft in a more neutral position and hitting the ground with the bounce on the bottom of the club, and then the ball.

He doesn't go for distance or ground or air time as a distinguishing characteristic. It's really a case of picking your own poison, and if discussing it with someone else defining your terms.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd say it's a function of how much air time vs roll time you plan for the shot. I play all chips with wrist hinge but hold the hinge angle through the shot.

Neddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I want a chip to run towards the hole, i want a pitch to bounce a foot from the pin and stop there

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
My lesson with Paul foston was a chip no wrist hinge and a pitch was with wrist hinge and a higher finish. My definition when playing would be as others have said, a chip a low running shot and a pitch a high soft landing shot. Although mine tend to run more than I'd like!