Lessons! Post here your thoughts.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I’ve had lessons off a few different people now. The guy who I think was best for me, didn’t try to start me from the beginning again. He saw what I had - in his words, ‘the basis of a decent swing’ - but changed bits that he saw as weak points. If I were to have lessons again, and I’m sure I will one day, I think I will make it clear to the guy at the outset: ‘This is what I have. It feels ok, it looks ok, and most of the time I hit the ball pretty well. What I need you to do is just try and tighten it up, to help me eliminate big misses left and right.’

If they can’t do that, I’ll look elsewhere. If a pro says that they would rip up Tiger’s swing and start again, I don’t think that’s the not guy for me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yea, that sounds like a nightmare for me. As mentioned, my fear of someone just ripping up my swing and starting again is one reason I haven't got lessons. Not saying my swing is perfect, but I wouldn't want to be trying to figure out an entirely new one that feels completely alien and takes 6 months to a year to bed in. I mean I only play once a week each weekend, I just want to get round in a decent score, not swing it like Adam Scott.

But you're playing off 20 and I guess a relatively young man. I'm not trying to be rude but if a Pro said he could get you to 10 h/c with, say, 10 lessons spread over the winter (assuming you put in the effort) wouldn't you go for that?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you're playing off 20 and I guess a relatively young man. I'm not trying to be rude but if a Pro said he could get you to 10 h/c with, say, 10 lessons spread over the winter (assuming you put in the effort) wouldn't you go for that?
Not if it meant learning a totally new swing from scratch, no. I'm just not about that level of effort. I play once each weekend, very occasionally I might go to the driving range once on a week night as well (let's say once a month). I'm not able to up that so at that rate it would take me forever to learn a new swing I would expect.

Really I just play for fun, enjoy going round with my mates, and I am still improving steadily just with regular play which is good enough for me.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Not if it meant learning a totally new swing from scratch, no. I'm just not about that level of effort. I play once each weekend, very occasionally I might go to the driving range once on a week night as well (let's say once a month). I'm not able to up that so at that rate it would take me forever to learn a new swing I would expect.

Really I just play for fun, enjoy going round with my mates, and I am still improving steadily just with regular play which is good enough for me.

But, as you get older, you're likely to find more time in the future and if you're keen on the game surely you'd be looking to improve from 20 which you could be stuck on forever if your current swing is really holding you back

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But, as you get older, you're likely to find more time in the future and if you're keen on the game surely you'd be looking to improve from 20 which you could be stuck on forever if your current swing is really holding you back
Will cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm enjoying my golf, don't have much money spare for lessons so why worry? My scores are coming down, I've shot 81 and two 83s in the last couple of months, none of them were comp rounds though so my handicap is a bit slow to catch up. :p

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Unless you have a terrible swing that really needs tearing up, I’m not sure that ‘starting again’ is a good thing. And I doubt it would take one winter either to implement either.

Faldo, a guy who was a proper athlete, a proper competitor, and a proper f*cking golfer, took 2 years to change his swing and that was whilst hitting 500 range balls a day. I think us amateurs can tweak our swings, but complete overhauls... I’m not sure it’s that easy unless you’re hitting the range 5+ days a week and having a lesson at least 2 or 3 times a month.

That’s a heck of a commitment.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t know any other sport were people aren’t taught how to play properly.
Why do some golfers think they can learn it all from Youtube or books.
Every single Golfer has nothing to lose seeing a pro at least once in their lifetime.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unless you have a terrible swing that really needs tearing up, I’m not sure that ‘starting again’ is a good thing. And I doubt it would take one winter either to implement either.

Faldo, a guy who was a proper athlete, a proper competitor, and a proper f*cking golfer, took 2 years to change his swing and that was whilst hitting 500 range balls a day. I think us amateurs can tweak our swings, but complete overhauls... I’m not sure it’s that easy unless you’re hitting the range 5+ days a week and having a lesson at least 2 or 3 times a month.

That’s a heck of a commitment.

Faldo and most club golfers are a world apart. I do play a reasonable amount and can hit the range as I'm semi retired but equally I'm 65 years old. I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago and made a huge change to my backswing and am due a lesson on Tuesday next. I played yesterday in the Stableford where I used the new swing from start to finish and finished joint 2nd with 34 points - I don't think a young man should worry about moving from 20 to 12 handicap with a few lessons

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I applaud your recognition of what you can realistically achieve and what you'd need to commit if you wanted to rework your swing. And there's no rule that says you have to do it any differently.

The only thing I would advise is go to a pro if you have a glaring fault. I reached low single figures without lessons, but when I then had a few lessons, in which I was advised to make major changes, it was a disaster. However, on the odd occasion I've tried to sort faults that have crept in its taken weeks, if not months. More recently I've gone for a lesson for the odd fault, and its been sorted almost immediately.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Think I had two goes round a pitch and putt and thought, I need to get good at this. I need a coach.
Never not had a coach.

For example. Last week. I couldn’t hit a ball. Toe strikes, shanks, open face. I’ve had a pain free season, so this was a shock.
I videoed myself. Saw what was wrong. I couldn’t implement the shallower downswing I needed myself.
Simple half hour lesson and I have the swing back and confidence for the sat and Sunday medals.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Faldo and most club golfers are a world apart. I do play a reasonable amount and can hit the range as I'm semi retired but equally I'm 65 years old. I had a lesson a couple of weeks ago and made a huge change to my backswing and am due a lesson on Tuesday next. I played yesterday in the Stableford where I used the new swing from start to finish and finished joint 2nd with 34 points - I don't think a young man should worry about moving from 20 to 12 handicap with a few lessons
I think you’re overestimating the average 20 handicapper. Moving down 8 shots all from a new swing and a winter of grafting at it... Unless that person is a beginner who is generally good at athletic disciplines, and has a bucketload of time, I couldnt see that happening.

Saying that, working hard on chipping, putting and pitching, then maybe.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Think I had two goes round a pitch and putt and thought, I need to get good at this. I need a coach.
Never not had a coach.

For example. Last week. I couldn’t hit a ball. Toe strikes, shanks, open face. I’ve had a pain free season, so this was a shock.
I videoed myself. Saw what was wrong. I couldn’t implement the shallower downswing I needed myself.
Simple half hour lesson and I have the swing back and confidence for the sat and Sunday medals.
It sounds like you’ve found yourself a good coach - well done :)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I think you’re overestimating the average 20 handicapper. Moving down 8 shots all from a new swing and a winter of grafting at it... Unless that person is a beginner who is generally good at athletic disciplines, and has a bucketload of time, I couldnt see that happening.

Saying that, working hard on chipping, putting and pitching, then maybe.

I'm not saying a 20 handicapper can move to 12 quickly but if the tuition is good then he/she potentially has a swing for life

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yea, that sounds like a nightmare for me. As mentioned, my fear of someone just ripping up my swing and starting again is one reason I haven't got lessons. Not saying my swing is perfect, but I wouldn't want to be trying to figure out an entirely new one that feels completely alien and takes 6 months to a year to bed in. I mean I only play once a week each weekend, I just want to get round in a decent score, not swing it like Adam Scott.

Why do you have this fear , as you say. When you go for a lesson its entirely what you want to work on. A lesson doesn't necessarily mean that your swing will be ripped apart and start again. Its your choice not the Pro.
Just a suggestion, as a high handicapper yourself, as I am, there must be something in your game that a decent Pro can help you with. Short game - pitching and chipping - bunker play - irons off the tee and putting. Improve on these and you'll get down to 18 in no time.

Try it, I bet you'll say I wish I'd taken lessons years ago! (y)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why do you have this fear , as you say. When you go for a lesson its entirely what you want to work on. A lesson doesn't necessarily mean that your swing will be ripped apart and start again. Its your choice not the Pro.
Just a suggestion, as a high handicapper yourself, as I am, there must be something in your game that a decent Pro can help you with. Short game - pitching and chipping - bunker play - irons off the tee and putting. Improve on these and you'll get down to 18 in no time.

Try it, I bet you'll say I wish I'd taken lessons years ago! (y)

He has the fear to go sub 4 hour rounds never mind a lesson!!!!

😂😂😂

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Shunned lessons for 30 years and did ok DIYing it. Quite enjoyed it at times but it was tough. Started taking them to help my game recover after injury and love it! Would have been much better off in hindsight. Shop around to find someone you connect well with though.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Apart from first getting you started lessons, I've always been sceptical about spending lots of time and money on lessons.

I have no doubt your scepticism is well founded.

I dont think pros or teachers (beyond a simple 30 mins get you started lesson as you say, although a quick flick through a book will give you that too), have anything to offer - the fundamental problem being that they have no better idea of what a good golf swing is than anyone else. It remains an interesting conundrum to solve, but so far, it would seem the surface hasnt even been scratched. Pros are invariably those who happen to be good at the game. And were ahead of the rest pretty much since they took it up. Not because they have any particular insight or understanding of the differences between an effective swing, and a poor one. All they really see, and present as swing coaching, are points of style, which tend to follow whoever the top of the tree in the tour scene.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I dont think pros or teachers (beyond a simple 30 mins get you started lesson as you say, although a quick flick through a book will give you that too), have anything to offer - the fundamental problem being that they have no better idea of what a good golf swing is than anyone else. It remains an interesting conundrum to solve, but so far, it would seem the surface hasnt even been scratched. Pros are invariably those who happen to be good at the game. And were ahead of the rest pretty much since they took it up. Not because they have any particular insight or understanding of the differences between an effective swing, and a poor one. All they really see, and present as swing coaching, are points of style, which tend to follow whoever the top of the tree in the tour scene.

I'm afraid that's just not true.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site

Are you aware they have to go through a PGA training course, over a number of years? I’m afraid your post is complete nonsense, and I’m sure many on here could point you in the direction of a Pro that would instantly disprove this, if you visited this for a lesson.