What would you have done?

Libzy

www.subach-world.org.uk
I was playing a round on Saturday and as you can expect with the weather the course was packed and playing slow. We were held up from the 3rd hole as the group in front seemed to be making the most of the players in front being slow and would seem to dawdle up the fairway.

This is not really a problem as you kind of expect play to be slow. However on the 10th tee, we saw the two guys standing on the crest of a hill playing their 2nd shots. They then dissapeared over the hill. Having won the last hole it was my honour, but with my two friends hitting a 5 wood and 4 iron off the tee I let them go first.

Now assuming that the two players would now be long gone as 2-3 minutes had passed since we saw them go over the hill with no indication of them being there I fired my drive up and over the hill.

To my suprised upon waling up the fairway my ball was only 150 yards or so up there. I was very confused by this and my friends insisted it wasn't my ball, but I knew it was. Very confused I continued to play the hole and was taken aback when on teh next tee the two guys we had seen go over the hill told us in a not so polite way that we needed to slow down as we drove in between them as they were standing near the bunker just over the hill.

Naturally I was taken back by the fact they had taken it upon themselves to throw my ball back down the fairway. not taking into account that they had gone out of sight knowing we were behind them leaving no indication that they were in range. This they actually did several times dissapearing into trees off the fairway and standing out of sight when we were ready to take our shots, which led to me being too scared to use my driver off the tee instead hitting a 5 wood or less in case they happened to be there.

My question is what would anyone else have done in our situation. Would you assume that the players having gone out of sight knowing they are over a blind hill or round a blind dog leg had gone and hit your shot. or wait longer risking slowing play even more, just in case? And in similar situations, do you let it be known to the players behind that you are still there by leaving some kind of indication, such as a bag or making sure you stand in view of the players behind?

I am just curious as this seems like the kind of situation that could happen to a lot of players out there.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I would have rammed my... No, in fairness I have done the same with someone the other week and knocked his ball under trees due to a near miss when he hadnt been called down to play, shouted fore and I hadnt rang the bell to let them know we where ready and waiting for their slice.

I take it the course doesnt have bells on blind spots? I ask as we have a up and over with a bell and my friend was hit full on with someones drive on Saturday on the same hole, the bell hadnt gone but they presumed play had moved on.

I would suguest to the board to add bells on blind spots if they are not there already if you are a member.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
Your course really needs bells its not either of your faults

You thought they would be out they the way but they weren't.

In todays H&S crazy world it is a bit of a hazard

I had a instance at my club the other week,my girlfriend kept saying i wish those two behind us would stop playing there tee shots so soon one nearly hit her

As you can imagine i got a bit pissed,4 holes down the line same thing happened again and again until we came to our 17th a blind hole with bell.

We where on the green and a ball came flying over onto it,i picked it up and robbed it,then after we finished the hole i rang the bell as loud as i could seeing them walking up the fairway.

Once we played 18 they where nowhere to be seen didnt finish there round while i was there,i would of ripped them a new well you know what

Rant over

Sorry

Libzy

www.subach-world.org.uk
I feel for both of you. Being a greenkeeper I get to see a lot of irate golfers in my daily routine. Notably when we are working beside a fairway and find lost balls we throw them out for golfers to pick up, every so often one comes along assuming the golfers behind have player and go off on one until I explain that I threw it out from the rough.

But it is true in the H&S heavy world you can never bee too careful with what you do. There are really only 2 or 3 spots on the course that have blind crests that make it hard to see if anyone is there, the addition of bells though in the middle of the fairway may be a little over the top however.

But a little common sense that if you are barely over the hill to stand so the next players can see you until you move off would be nice. The fact is if they were not waiting to take a shot just out of sight there would be no problem, and they only had to step back 2-3 metres or onto the bank around the bunker.

I just hope that one of my balls never finds another players head one of these days!

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The problem with bells is that by having them the club is admitting that there is a potential problem with the hole hence leaving themselves open to legal proceedings if someone gets injured. Crazy I know but true.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
don't agree, you need bells on those holes and at minimum notices on the tees.
how do you handle the situation where the tee was empty when you crossed the brow to play your shot but another group steps up to it in that time? do you expect players to keep running back up the slope just in case?
if you don't want bells give every group a long flag to carry.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would depend on the circumstances as I saw them. If I thought I had given them enough time to be well out of the way and they had chosen not to be so, I would give them a telling off for being out of sight but not in a safe location or for not leaving a bag to indicate they were still in range. If they admitted they had thrown my ball somewhere I would walk down the edge of the next fairway and wait for them to play, then do the same to them.

But its all hearsay as it would depend on how I saw it and what I did about it at the time.

Some golfers are as arrogant as they are stupid, you must accept this on golf courses from time to time, the situation you have outlined happens all the time on courses with blind spots and it is nearly always the fault of the group that almost get hit in my experience.

If remote controlled grenades were hidden in fairways at about 250 yds and detonated by the following group whenever it was deemed clear I can assure you no golfer would EVER put themselves in a position where they could be blown up by the following group assuming it was clear because they couldnt see. Some golfers love the confrontation though when its only the odds of being almost reached by a golf ball. if you come across such people they are often not worth much so put it behind you and move on.If the situation is ever reversed, give yourself a slap for being dopey, congratulate the ball striker for a good drive and let them play through and apologise for expecting them to have a crystal ball with them. :D ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think bells are vital on blind tee shots, we have 2 on our course and could do with a third. On that hole though there are signs warning each group to check that the fairway is clear before teeing off.

As to the mention of people being in the trees etc, surely it is common sense to leave at least one bag in sight on the fairway to warn others that you are still on the hole.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unfortunately we come back to the old saying - Common Sense is anything but Common!!!!!

I've never liked blind shots anyway. I like to be able to see the ball hit the ground.

I know some courses that have view towers so you can climb the ladder to see if there is anyone in range.

D

Deleted member 1740

Gave him a glasgow kiss then take a swig of water and practice my swing :D :D

Seriously, i would of confronted him why his behaviour was so childish by throwing the ball back. Unless it hit him he had no right to touch your ball.

Also what would've happened if you had been playing in a very important comp and he's moved your ball?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they were members, or knew the club, they should have anticipated this happening and been aware of the hazard.
One other option not mentioned yet is to have a periscope as they do at Elie. :D
The obvious thing to do however is to shout "Fore"

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
We just had one hole with a bell, now the council have taken the old one down (too loud :D ) and replaced it with a cheaper one that can be just heard at the tee box, but in winds not a chance. They also have added them to two other holes but the day golfers don't have a clue.