what would you do if the best part of your game went overnight?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'd hit the range, check my setup, slow things down and try to recapture the feel of the swing. Then gradually turn the power back up.....

Managed to do that successfully between rounds last week after driving it badly in the morning. Hit it great in the afternoon round.

If that didn't work I'd take few days off golf and hope it fixes itself! :eek:

lay off didn't work, didn't play at all last week, was away with work.

Driving is just something Ive not had problems with before, Id often not even take a practice swing on the first tee, just hit it. That used to really annoy Dave (who won the Nairn meet) as he never hits the first fairway at Nairn and i would every time we play together.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driving is normally my strength too but lately I have been hitting a lot very high and left, probably not turning properly and leaning back but if I cant sort it out myself then at least I have a lesson booked for next week.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
op. most often times it's the sequence timing with folks trying to get clubbed back to ball to soon, the driver being the longest club takes the longest time from takeback to strike.

couple things to maybes try.
first off make sure the shoulders are in their sockets - shoulders 'down' when the arms hanging down by the sides. folks get tense lift the shoulders 'up' some, creates tension, tension prevents a good 'turn' going back.

then the start down is premature so the pull, or sensing that possibility a bit of a jump move with the weight shift & hips laterally, then arms & club little ways too far back, stuck, so either block it right, or try to save with forearms & hands & hook it.

make sure there's complete the shoulder turn to the top don't do that & likely be a snatch down. (to that check there's no lateral sway off the ball crept in any during the takeback)

& feel your swing motion is at 80%, smooth.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe its Shaft Fatigue/deterioration, its quite common in the north of Scotland with the significant differences in temperature between seasons. It affects the molecular composition of the shaft resulting in crap drives.

Id play it safe and buy a new Bat!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Maybe its Shaft Fatigue/deterioration, its quite common in the north of Scotland with the significant differences in temperature between seasons. It affects the molecular composition of the shaft resulting in crap drives.

Id play it safe and buy a new Bat!

could be!! hitting my irons well and they are brand new, all the woods must be at least a year old;)

Last edited:

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I appreciate this is probably very basic information, but just watch the club hit the ball! Was something highlighted in the high handicappers tips, but it is an invaluable tip.

Consciously watch the club face hit the ball every time.

Helps massively.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sounds a bit like a loss of confidence, best fixed with a wee quirky cure.

Try focusing/thinking on exactly where your left thumb is throughout each drive.

PS .....not joking:lol:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you warm up? Or just go straight out!

Those 2 pulls (on 1st and 2nd) possibly got into your head and affected the rest of the Driver swings.

If you can't see feel any obvious fault, then it's time to check fundamentals - and if they seem ok, then seek a Pro's view!

It generally comes down to the same sort of habits creeping back into the swing, so trawl the memory banks.

And the (unusual?) lack of play for a week could well be a contributor!

As long as it's not just an 'I got 5 birdies last night' ego-trip! :rolleyes:

Edit: I've seen Doon's tip work a treat! Though it may well have been the right one!

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I simply don't have a best part to my game. Any of it can be very good or shocking. I try and make it a passing semblance to averageness and go from there. I tend to warm up before I go out, if only to try and groove my ultra quick tempo into something resembling a blur

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played last night and slowed my swing down a bit still hit a couple of Blocks and only one pull... Only lost one ball and that was a freak as thats a short par 3, was heading towards the left bunker so a slight pull... never to be seen again.

maybe thats the key, didn't really feel any different

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd hit the range, check my setup, slow things down and try to recapture the feel of the swing. Then gradually turn the power back up.....

Managed to do that successfully between rounds last week after driving it badly in the morning. Hit it great in the afternoon round.
Very sage advise!!
Its so easy to get annoyed with a rubbish swing, so you start going at the ball harder and harder. That is not the key, get your tempo and rhythm back first. Start finding fairways and getting the confidence back before trying to dial the power back up.

Edit:
I'd also check (keep an eye) on grip pressure, the more stressed you get the harder and more tense you'll grip the club.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep been there and done that, I used to be able to drive off the T for bloody miles then I was ill and didn't play for a month or so and when I did eventually get back out my driving had gone completely to pot I'm talking miles high and right or low and left with the odd good shot here and there (I'm talking 1 in 10 at best) been doing my head in for weeks, I've managed to get my 3 wood back in play and the rescue has stayed reasonably constant but it's not effected my iron work which has improved 10 fold !

The driver lives in the locker at the moment but I will say I changed my shoes and because they rubbed I stopped following through with the swing so just check if you've changed anything !...:thup: