What to look out for during practice rounds...

D

Deleted Member 1156

Here is a game plan for an 8 year old playing a par 3 course:

1) assuming he can reach it, aim for the middle of the green

2) enjoy it

This is a pretty ridiculous thread in my opinion.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite possibly the most dangerous piece of advice you can give! :rolleyes:

Why so dangerous?

When he started he had a habit of looking at me or the club head or a seagull at the top of his backswing and then missing the ball. I tell him to keep his head still and watch the ball so that his chances of hitting it are increased.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Here is a game plan for an 8 year old playing a par 3 course:

1) assuming he can reach it, aim for the middle of the green

2) enjoy it

This is a pretty ridiculous thread in my opinion.

Pretty decent advice for every golfer, regardless of age :)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why so dangerous?

When he started he had a habit of looking at me or the club head or a seagull at the top of his backswing and then missing the ball. I tell him to keep his head still and watch the ball so that his chances of hitting it are increased.

Because he won't be able to swing properly if he keeps his head still!

He'll either damage his neck or only (be able to) make half a backswing, with no weight transfer! A stable head is beneficial - don't let it flop around - but it's often issues with other parts of the body that are the cause of apparent head movement, which is often the unconscious movement to avoid injury - like when the brain decides the club is going to hit into the ground rather than hit the ball!

Annika Sorrenstam and David Duval got to be World #1s with significant head movement btw!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So what do you believe the most dangerous piece of advice is?

Dont play on the M25 at tea time

Fair amount of head movement in this swing too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

When I ask my pupils to keep their head still it's to stop them swaying on the backswing. Any movement off the ball on the backswing will cause problems trying to get the club back to a good impact position consistently.

Of course there will be movement at impact.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Please don't add text to 'my' post when you quote me! And that 'advice' seems a lot less dangerous than it could be too!

You are not really wanting your pupils to actually keep their head still (as in stationary relative to the ground) though are you! So what are you asking them to 'keep the head still' relative to - aka how do you measure the improvement? Shoulders? Centre of mass? Would you advise someone who is not swaying to 'keep your head still'?

Why don't you keep your head still during your swing?

I'd challenge you to show a vid of a swing of any Pro who actually keeps their head still? There are plenty (including Hogan - and Donald?) whose first apparent movement in the swing is actually head movement!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Please don't add text to 'my' post when you quote me! And that 'advice' seems a lot less dangerous than it could be too!

That was a mistake. Apologies
My advice was supposed to be outside your quote and by the time I realised I had done it it was too late to change.
Didn't realise it was such a big issue as it was supposed to be a light hearted quip.

Why don't you keep your head still during your swing?

I was talking about the backswing as I've already mentioned and I think you'll find it is pretty still.
As for the rest of your post, passed experience tells me to not even bother to reply.
You have your ideas and I have mine.
Live and let live

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is by the looks of it a tour open to kids U14 with handicaps less than 36, we aren't talking about the elite here. I don't know what this kids handicap is but if I understand it right he will be playing against other kids 5 years his senior, he needs to enjoy himself.

I know we are not talking about the elite, but Tiger was his age once, wonder what he did to prepare himself for a kids tournament? yes be competitive but also accept failure and also enjoy it no matter what the outcome is, but that will be down to how his parents guidance, so long as they are not the pushy kind that you see.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was talking about the backswing as I've already mentioned and I think you'll find it is pretty still.
As for the rest of your post, passed experience tells me to not even bother to reply.
Live and let live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I

So you reckon that the huge (but well controlled) head turn - just check how much the hat turns - is 'keeping the head still'? :confused:

Not up to my challenge?

Here's an interesting, if seriously non-PC these days, article and vid that reinforces my point! http://www.golftipreviews.com/2011/09/golf-swing-drill-hogan-watch-ball-head.html

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That was a mistake. Apologies
My advice was supposed to be outside your quote and by the time I realised I had done it it was too late to change.
Didn't realise it was such a big issue as it was supposed to be a light hearted quip.

Live and let live

Tbf bob's head stays pretty much where it starts in the back swing. A slight turning which is natural. you all seen what happened me last week when I starting swaying off the ball. Bloody horror show. it didn't matter what swing I put on the ball when I swayed. Everything came off the hozzel.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tbf bob's head stays pretty much where it starts in the back swing. A slight turning which is natural. you all seen what happened me last week when I starting swaying off the ball. Bloody horror show. it didn't matter what swing I put on the ball when I swayed. Everything came off the hozzel.

But it ain't still is it!

Here's more backup! http://www.golfinstruction.com/golf-instruction/quick-tips/tec4.htm

Here's a quote from another article that puts the same desire in a much better way....

Joe Dante, one of America’s best known teaching professionals, from his book Four Magic Moves To Winning Golf. “Keep the head still.” This impossible advice has been given in one form or another for about as long as there has been any literature on golf: “Keep your head down.” Keep your head still.” Keep your head fixed.” “Keep your eye on the ball.” “Don’t lift your head.” “Don’t look up.” You’ve heard these directions a thousand times. If they would only say, “Keep your head back,” they would be much closer to being right.

Anyway, back to the topic....D4S's 2 suggestions seem pretty much spot on!

Last edited:

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why not give an 8 year old a £1 extra pocket money for birdies and £1 off for bogeys. That'll teach em.

Fun? Nah.

Also, does Bob Rotella do a junior range of books?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just about!

I'd suggest 'stable' or 'under control' (though that's pretty vague)!

But 'still'? No, that's dangerous!

Still is probably an easy way of conveying to someone to stop letting it drift about. The head will turn a bit naturally as long as you don't overly resist.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Ok, I'll try once more.
When a pupil comes to me and says "I keep topping it/duffing it" then I'll have a pretty good idea he's swaying.
I'll ask him to hit some balls to see if he is swaying. Yeup, a 6in sway.
I'll then film him and let him see the sway.
I then ask him to keep his head still and explain how that will give him a better turn and more chance of improving his contact.
What will actually happen is the 6in sway is reduced to 2 or even 1in which is controllable. He will still drive forward to a nice finish and his contact will improve which is what he wanted.
I then film him again to show the reduction in the sway and although there is still some movement, his better contact is proof that keeping the head still works and stops the duffs and tops.
Result...........pupil leaves happy.

As for my 'head movement', I apologise if it moves 1 or 2 mm but to me, real and feel are far more important than criticising a 2mm turn of the head.
And by the way, there is no such word as 'aint'

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok, I'll try once more.
When a pupil comes to me and says "I keep topping it/duffing it" then I'll have a pretty good idea he's swaying.
I'll ask him to hit some balls to see if he is swaying. Yeup, a 6in sway.
I'll then film him and let him see the sway.
I then ask him to keep his head still and explain how that will give him a better turn and more chance of improving his contact.
What will actually happen is the 6in sway is reduced to 2 or even 1in which is controllable. He will still drive forward to a nice finish and his contact will improve which is what he wanted.
I then film him again to show the reduction in the sway and although there is still some movement, his better contact is proof that keeping the head still works and stops the duffs and tops.
Result...........pupil leaves happy.

Couple of Yes/No answers then - just to keep it really simple...

Do you want the pupil to keep his/her absolutely stationary - relative to his/her feet and not twisting?

Do you believe it is possible to swing a golf club properly with an absolutely stationary head?

And by the way, there is no such word as 'aint'

Check your Oxford Dictionary! At least for "ain't"!

Then see if there's an entry for 'yeup'! :rolleyes: