What to look out for during practice rounds...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Back to the OP
Vkurup, you might want to have a chat with your mate about 'kids burnout' which is when they try and do too much too soon and just get fed up with their chosen sport. It might help him spot the signs if his kid tries too much.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Couple of Yes/No answers then - just to keep it really simple...

Do you want the pupil to keep his/her absolutely stationary - relative to his/her feet and not twisting?

Do you believe it is possible to swing a golf club properly with an absolutely stationary head?

Check your Oxford Dictionary! At least for "ain't"!

Then see if there's an entry for 'yeup'! :rolleyes:

It wouldn't matter how I reply, you would still argue with whatever I said.
Cant believe I got dragged into arguing with you again.
I'm out

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It wouldn't matter how I reply, you would still argue with whatever I said.
Cant believe I got dragged into arguing with you again.
I'm out

:rofl:

I can't believe you aren't prepared to answer a couple of absolutely straight forward questions! :rolleyes:

Btw. I absolutely agree with your post about the potential for 'kids burnout'. Though it shouldn't be confused with the 'Parent Pressure Problem' and/or 'Taking it too seriously too early syndrome'!

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bliley, I didn't realise I'd cause such a debate by telling a 5 year old to keep his head still.

The purpose in my instance was to stop him looking at me standing behind him or the club head above him or the seagulls flying across the range all of which have happened. Possibly could've chosen a different phrase but don't want to get too technical with him at a young age.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Bliley, I didn't realise I'd cause such a debate by telling a 5 year old to keep his head still.

The purpose in my instance was to stop him looking at me standing behind him or the club head above him or the seagulls flying across the range all of which have happened. Possibly could've chosen a different phrase but don't want to get too technical with him at a young age.

Try 'Look at the ball, not at me or the seagulls' next time then. :whistle:

Though at 5, I'd suggest just letting him swing away could well be better!

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Think it's got blown out of proportion. A 5yr old isn't goin to know what's right or wrong, they do what's instinctive to them. I would say the same advice you gave to a 5yr old, to make them focus on the ball. there head will move and body will sway but they do what they can to hit it. Now to give the same advice to an adult, then that's different.

V

vkurup

I am not saying I have it right...

My 5 yr old likes his golf, but I have been a bit more relaxed with him. He went thru an intense love of the game and would play it everyday in the gardeN.. then he went thru a 6 months of not wanting to pick a club.

A few weeks ago enrolled him for 30 mins group session with his friends and I could not get him home after a session.. stayed back at the range and hit a bucket of 60 balls!!! Only the promise of ice cream got him out.

're the 'still' head debare, like CoFC's son, my son is also very fickle. Our way of doing it is called 'watchy watchy' - effectively keep watching the ball till you hit it. This universally applies to all the sports that he has tried - cricket, golf, footy etc. Irrespective of his head being steady, still, titling, as long as he is watching it, it just aligns the rest of the swing.
The second thing he has learnt is 'photofinishes'. So the kids aim to hold their finish at the end of the swing.
I have realised that when nipper does watchy-watchy AND photofinish, he can hit the ball about 20-30 yards straight as an arrow and consistently.. not bad imo..

V

vkurup

Back to the OP
Vkurup, you might want to have a chat with your mate about 'kids burnout' which is when they try and do too much too soon and just get fed up with their chosen sport. It might help him spot the signs if his kid tries too much.

I worry about the same. Bu. The kid loves it he plays our short course and would do that everyday if he could. He has gone to bed his clubs. My worry comes not from the kid but from my mate. His game is ordinary and at the current trajectory his son will get better of him in a few years. But you can sense that he has started to live his game via the kids eyes. It's alright right now, but it will take its toll..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All for kids being as competitive as they like at 8 years of age whatever sport they play. The only thing I would ensure if I was their parent would to make sure they learn to lose with good grace. That was something my dad installed in me and an ethic I try and play sport by even now. I always go out intending to win but if I don't make sure you lose with a smile