What shafts do you use in wedges?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've recently upgraded my irons which has included a gap wedge to, funnily enough, plug the gap in my set up. I have now got a PW, 49, 54 and 60.

I got Project X 6.5 shafts in my irons and matched this in my 49 wedge as I will be using this mainly for full shots. My 54 and 60 are dynamic wedge flex which I am likely to change in the coming months.

So, I have been told by different people to match all my irons and wedges, use wedge flex or use one step softer than my irons, i.e. 6.0.

How are you set up and how should I go?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've recently upgraded my irons which has included a gap wedge to, funnily enough, plug the gap in my set up. I have now got a PW, 49, 54 and 60.

I got Project X 6.5 shafts in my irons and matched this in my 49 wedge as I will be using this mainly for full shots. My 54 and 60 are dynamic wedge flex which I am likely to change in the coming months.

So, I have been told by different people to match all my irons and wedges, use wedge flex or use one step softer than my irons, i.e. 6.0.

Just bought ping I blades with Modus 3 105 stiff .
wedge in set is 45*
just got 50 54 58 ping glide wedges with same shafts in.
you need same shaft for full shots but not really for half 3/4 shots
feel is everything in wedges and I have always matched my shafts.
different flex is personal but if you go down the shaft for pitch / chip shots it will feel stiffer as shaft gets shorter anyway.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no right answer. Some very respected equipment guys sware by matching irons, some wedge specific shafts. Some people even get good results using things like DG Tour spec in their wedges.

Early wedge specific shafts were just shafts with more active/softer tips (think KBS Hi-Rev) to create more spin but the shaft manufactures have got a bit better at it now and you can play about with flight a bit more. All the big OEMs have lots of wedge choice now.

Worth having a play about and seeing what works for you.

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got Modus 3 105's in my irons, pitching wedge has 105 wedge shaft which is heavier then the 105's in my irons and then I have Modus 3 115 wedge shafts in my 50 55 58 wedges.
I prefer my wedges to feel heavier and also a more lower penetrating ball flight.

No right or wrong way.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ive KBS C taper 120 in my irons, but have just DG wedge flex in my 50 and 56 wedges, which Ive had since 2010. not looking to change these anytime soon, but if i did i would try the KBS wedge shafts

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Project X 6.0's in my wedges exactly the same as the rest of my irons. I've tried 'wedge flex' options and do not get on with them at all. Can't stand them in fact. I'll change shape and flight of the ball through set up and swing elements not through the club specifications.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk

I am in a similar position to you, I have Project X 6.0 in my irons, and currently have DG wedge flex shafts in my 54 and 60 Vokey, which feel ok but a few people have recommended getting matching shafts in the wedges, albeit with a slightly softer flex, so I am tempted to try the Project X 5.5’s.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a thought for PX users who have DG in their wedges. PX is a counterbalanced shaft, so weight in the butt, DG is the opposite so going to PX throughout can be a nicer feel as all clubs should swing the same. Comment purely based on feel.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
PX 6.5. Like the stiffer shaft for full shots and the PX feel has always been my favourite, went for the heavier shaft in wedges due to wanting a bit of extra weight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I stick to the standard Ping stock shafts and to be honest I've never really considered matching or changing to something to match my irons. Have many on here done so or is the norm to stick to what they come with

splashtryagain

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Px 5.5 in irons and TT DG spinner shafts which are easily the best shafts I've used in wedges - bounce, bounce, dead stop, sorted.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For anyone not making a living from the game the standard wedge shafts should be fine.

I don't know anyone with fitted shafts in their wedges unless they got the wedges as part of a set.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Just the dg s200 they came with. They work ok some of the time...:whistle: