What part of the swing plane is the most important ?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
swing plane long been a topic in golf

- mostly it's misunderstood not just throughout the golf industry but often in golf articles in magazines & also with great regularity in the youtube pro's videos with one even saying plane is not even important

often too see it 'misunderstood' throughout the forum

so as in the title 'what part of the swing plane do you consider the most important & why or is it not important at all' ?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
What the coaches refer to as the slot would be my answer. Club parallel to the ground before the ball until club parallel to the ground after the ball.

This area of the swing will dictate the quality of the strike, direction and side spin.

My go to example is Jim Furyk his back swing was on every plane and no plane, but his hands and club were in the slot.

I maybe misunderstanding the term plane, but for me it is the angle of the club relevant to the player and the ground

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Was thinking about this the other day. In essence after the first response , am lost

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree the path and plane are often mixed up but I know many excellent golfers who don't have a clue about their plane.

Some would argue as it has no direct influence on the ball flight it's best to focus on those that do ie the 5 laws.

D

Deleted member 21258

I would guess swing plane isn't that important, path being far more important.

Again guessing I would have thought that certain kinds of swing plane, may lead to certain kind of shots. Therefore would guess a steep swing plane(on the downswing) would normally lead to open clubface at impact?

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I would guess swing plane isn't that important, path being far more important.

Again guessing I would have thought that certain kinds of swing plane, may lead to certain kind of shots. Therefore would guess a steep swing plane(on the downswing) would normally lead to open clubface at impact?
Not at all. Jim Hardy says that people who swing on a steep plane e.g. Bubba Watson, have a clubface which goes from open to square to the swing path very rapidly & this is why people like him work that ball with a draw or fade, the face is square for such a short time. When asked what his most difficult shot is he's been quoted as saying it's the straight one. Shallower swingers, on the other hand, are more likely to have the face square to the path for most of the swing & are more likely to hit it straight.

All explained in his latest book "The Release"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I always thought the swing plane is predetermined by the angle of the shaft at address.

Then the player either swings on it, from under it or over it coming into the ball.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say as long as it’s correct at impact it doesn’t matter anywhere else .
Eamon Darcy ,Jim Furick come to mind but they were correct at impact.
Both had repeating swings witch made them consistent.
Theres no one plane fits all.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Intrigued, can you expand on this please mate?

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

On a 2 dimensional camera from a down the line view. It would just be a line up thought the shaft dissecting the player. Makes it easy to see how much under or over that line a player is swinging.

No doubt there is a lot more to it than that. :mmm:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
This is a good explanation

[video]http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/golf-swing-tips/difference-between-swing-path-and-plane[/video]

Fish

Banned
Visit site
You'd have thought logically that it's the take away, as it's this at at the beginning that will determine everything else, whether you have to adjust mid-swing to get it back on plane or not.

Possible all parts of the swing are equally important, as if 1 cog is out all the rest don't function properly!

I'm told I get 'ahead of the club' at times :confused:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You'd have thought logically that it's the take away, as it's this at at the beginning that will determine everything else, whether you have to adjust mid-swing to get it back on plane or not.

Possible all parts of the swing are equally important, as if 1 cog is out all the rest don't function properly!

I'm told I get 'ahead of the club' at times :confused:
This is my bad shot and usually results in a push.

I was told this happens when I try to step on it and swing to fast.