What makes "A Good Golf Hole"

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In most cases idiots will just describe a plain hard hole as good (even if it isn't). A good hole is interesting and ideally provides options. 460yd par fours with a fairway bunker left and right at 250 and a front left and right hand greenside bunker are not good golf holes (as much as sky will try to tell you they are).

A hole I consider great as an example is the par 5 on the front nine at Silloth with the angled tee shot, interest on the second shot and a really good green (forget the hole number).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

you dont always have to knock it on the green to make it a risk reward hole.

you take the risk with the long club leaving a pitch if you cannot or dont hit the green.

I think the 3rd at Augusta is a great example of a risk/reward hole.
The majority of players will hit an iron or fairway wood to leave a full'ish wedge in. But sometimes players will have a go with the driver. If they end up just in the wrong place, despite being greenside, it can lead to a very difficult up & down (often 4 from the edge isn't unusual).

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When playing a links the 'standard' rules very much go out the window. 'Short' holes sometimes require a good smack with the driver followed by a long iron, other times they are driveable. I've seen bunkers that are in play at 150 yards when the wind turns but other days you don't even think about them.

My home course is a links so I know all about the variables of this type of course.

D

Deleted member 1147

In most cases idiots will just describe a plain hard hole as good (even if it isn't). A good hole is interesting and ideally provides options. 460yd par fours with a fairway bunker left and right at 250 and a front left and right hand greenside bunker are not good golf holes (as much as sky will try to tell you they are).

A hole I consider great as an example is the par 5 on the front nine at Silloth with the angled tee shot, interest on the second shot and a really good green (forget the hole number).

I don't fully agree with you there. They can be good holes as they force you to make a decision about your approach to the hole. If I pull Driver out can I hit it between the bunkers, can I carry them if I don't hit it straight, can I still hit the green in regulation if I hit 3 wood etc etc. It may depend on whether it's uphill or downhill, where the prevailing wind comes from or just the pin positioning.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What would you call risk/reward then? If you aren't a fairly long hitter you won't be able to reach par 5s in 2 or par 4s in 1 which is exactly what I would call risk/reward.

The only other way would be having water or hazards in the landing zone. By the sounds of it 200 yards from the tee would be risky for you but for those able to hit drivers over 250 it wouldn't even come into thought.

For example creating a preferred angle into the green with slope/hazards which is more difficult to hit from the tee. For example heavily bunkering the front right of the green but only having LHS fairway bunkers.

Classic examples would be 16 & 17 at the Old Course, or the 6th (hogans alley) at Carnoustie.

D

Deleted Member 1156

My home course is a links so I know all about the variables of this type of course.

Then you'll appreciate that a 320/330 yard hole downwind in summer is very much in range even for an average hitter :thup:

edit Just had a look on google maps and measured it at 275m from the back tee to the front of the green so def worth a tonk if downwind :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You should. There's a great par 5 with a burn going across at 280 yards. I'll show you how to take it on. ;)

Played Duddingston once and enjoyed it but I did loose some balls in the burn, 280 would possibly be out of my range unfortunately ;) but would give it a go if it was in the summer with plenty of run.

Remember going close to a eagle on a par 5 on the back 9 I think ,some great driving holes.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My idea of a good golf hole is one that, if I were a member, I'd happily play day in day out.

I played the 17th at Littlestone last week and par'd it for the first time and I think it's just a beauty of a hole

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My idea of a good golf hole is one that, if I were a member, I'd happily play day in day out.

I played the 17th at Littlestone last week and par'd it for the first time and I think it's just a beauty of a hole
Must have been down wind.:whistle:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cutting rough under trees, reasonable rough length, hole length and carries for the intended level of players. Tees for abilities expected and lay up areas as required to cater for abilities.

Other than that do what you like.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Its needs to be fair, a decent drive with trouble filling your mind. And tough if you miss. And then slopey greens after you avoid all that.

16th at the forest is a good one #Arden

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Then you'll appreciate that a 320/330 yard hole downwind in summer is very much in range even for an average hitter :thup:

edit Just had a look on google maps and measured it at 275m from the back tee to the front of the green so def worth a tonk if downwind :D

And you will appreciate that most links courses are in Scotland and baked hard fairways are not always the norm even in summer.:thup:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That'll rule a lot (most even!) of James Braid openers out then! :rolleyes: And I'd say many like that are great openers! But would make pretty/very tame finishers!

All sorts of reasons why a particular hole is 'good' to me - and it certainly depends on what position it is too! But also vision, threats, options (that's where the risk/reward comes in imo) and balance (within the rest of the course) are certainly big considerations!

D

Deleted Member 1156

And you will appreciate that most links courses are in Scotland and baked hard fairways are not always the norm even in summer.:thup:

Guess we'll just have to disagree on that one because I've played a lot of links golf in Scotland and had plenty of run on the ball.