What makes "A Good Golf Hole"

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has to be visually interesting, ideally with some strategic bunkering for both the average club player (200-230 yard range) and more to make the big hitters think (250-260). Has to be not too long to offer everyone a chance to have a chance of hitting the green and ideally with a contoured green without it being silly. Good greenside bunkering too. I'd like a natural brook or stream and maybe an old stone wall at some point

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Guess we'll just have to disagree on that one because I've played a lot of links golf in Scotland and had plenty of run on the ball.

Its ok to disagree sometimes makes life interesting :thup: of course you will get plenty of run on a ball if it's good weather but that's not always the case in Scotland.

I have been playing for over 25 years now and played many links courses in Scotland, also played a lot of golf in the Kent, Sussex area nearly all parkland/ heathland courses and get far more run of the ball in the summer than in Scotland

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
id also add that good shots get rewarded and bad shots get fairly punished

for me aesthetics matter a lot hence why im not a fan of blind holes and would never call one a good hole (albeit i know others will disagree)

These are the two points I would have made. I think that “fairness” is the real key.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That'll rule a lot (most even!) of James Braid openers out then! :rolleyes: And I'd say many like that are great openers! But would make pretty/very tame finishers!

Of the many Braid courses I've played (30+) only Fraserburgh, Reading and Shanklin & Sandown have 400+yd par 4 openers. They tend to be quite easy as a general rule, mostly in the 330-370 range.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Of the many Braid courses I've played (30+) only Fraserburgh, Reading and Shanklin & Sandown have 400+yd par 4 openers. They tend to be quite easy as a general rule, mostly in the 330-370 range.

Given that there was a 'Sky' reference - so applicable to the tournaments/courses they are commenting on - I took the liberty of adjusting the length to 'suit' we mere mortals! Probably should have mentioned it, so apologies for not doing so! Indeed, most are 'gentle starters', but there's a distinct 'stamp' on many for a pair of bunkers at potential driving distance and at the front of the green.