Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have
PW - 45
PW2 - 48
GW - 52
SW - 56

I always felt like I needed to bridge the gap between PW and GW so I bought a 48 degree vokey wedge. I now only really use it as a bump and run or 25 yards and in. comes out a lot lower and i can get more run than my SW.

(y)

I'd love to reach the level where I could feel competent with 4 wedges. Sadly I doubt I'll get there. I can only practice my 50 wedge at short game area for about 45 minutes a week and still screw it up more than I'd like on the course

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
PW 45
GW 52, my go to club for most dinks around the green
SW 56, out of bunkers only
LW 60, for those Phil shots 😄. I might not use it for 2 or 3 rounds but when required it's invaluable.

My 52 is by far the most used club out of the above.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The Golf Handbook
by
Richard Bradbeer and Ian Morrison
Abbeydale Press 1998

ISBN 1-86147-006-1

club lofts.JPG

I think a lot of us are using only two wedges. I think I have always so.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
PW - 42
GW - 47

Strong lofts are a bit of a joke...

Also considering removing the GW and adding in something at the top of the bag, having 5 wedges is silly.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I added a 48 a couple of years ago which has really helped, covers the gap between 105-120 where I previously had to take something off the PW. My 52 maxes out about 100 without having to swing off my feet, but I also use 52 for everything 40-100. 58 for everything inside 40 yards, incl. bunkers (unless no trouble in front and I'll bump and run my 8i all day)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
46 - Part of iron set

Apart from the 6° gap between the 54 and 60, all my clubs throughout the set have a 4° gap. The wedges are just an extension of this.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been thinking about changing things in my wedges.....but I'm nuts and am always thinking about changing something...somewhere. Currently 44 with the PW...then 50, 54, and 60. My thinking is that I am comfortable hitting my PW in the 85-100 range. My 50 covers 75-90. 54 covers 65-75 plus chips. 60 goes up to 60...maybe 70 during the summer if I push it.

This winter I've changed my attitude and use the 60 ONLY when I really need that soft floppy shot. I go to the 54 for most of the short shots inside 75yds.....just less chance of getting that horrible shot because I've tried to do something Phil-like with the 60.....and the scores have been better.

I could easily go just 52-58...and with a little practice would be just fine.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've been thinking about changing things in my wedges.....but I'm nuts and am always thinking about changing something...somewhere. Currently 44 with the PW...then 50, 54, and 60. My thinking is that I am comfortable hitting my PW in the 85-100 range. My 50 covers 75-90. 54 covers 65-75 plus chips. 60 goes up to 60...maybe 70 during the summer if I push it.

This winter I've changed my attitude and use the 60 ONLY when I really need that soft floppy shot. I go to the 54 for most of the short shots inside 75yds.....just less chance of getting that horrible shot because I've tried to do something Phil-like with the 60.....and the scores have been better.

I could easily go just 52-58...and with a little practice would be just fine.

Breaking News.

Amateur golfer says he would be "just fine" with rolling back to wedges of 52 and 58 degrees.
Will this be a trend that manufacturers take heed of?
Are we likely to see iron sets with the lofts back to where they were in the Faldo and Seve era?

iron set lofts.jpg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the lowest bounce you have seen on a wedge.?
I am having problems with our bunker linings, you just can’t play a proper splash shot.
so thinking a very low bounce might be the answer.

I have a few old wedges would they become non conforming if I grind them down.
giving this is a selling point for wedges I think I will be ok, but not sure.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What’s the lowest bounce you have seen on a wedge.?
I am having problems with our bunker linings, you just can’t play a proper splash shot.
so thinking a very low bounce might be the answer.

I have a few old wedges would they become non conforming if I grind them down.
giving this is a selling point for wedges I think I will be ok, but not sure.
I've seen Vokeys with 4° on, I think, a 60...not sure if it's a current version though..

evemccc

Visit site
I've seen Vokeys with 4° on, I think, a 60...not sure if it's a current version though..

Why, if a golfer has a SW and a LW, it is most likely for the SW to have a higher bounce than the LW?

I often see 54 or 56 wedges with 12/14 degrees of bounce, and sure, although you can have a high-ish bounce 60, it’s more common for them to be 6/8 degrees?