What lofts are on your wedges?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Why, if a golfer has a SW and a LW, it is most likely for the SW to have a higher bounce than the LW?

I often see 54 or 56 wedges with 12/14 degrees of bounce, and sure, although you can have a high-ish bounce 60, it’s more common for them to be 6/8 degrees?
The 54/56 lofts are most often the sand clubs and they need bounce to not dig in..they glide through making it easier to get out.
58/60 tend to be the "parachute " lob clubs and they need lower bounce or a particular sole grind to keep the leading edge close to the ground.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Cleveland did the RTX Zipcore in what they call low bounce.

The also did a 60° 588 with 6° and loads of trailing edge relief. I might have one in the garage

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The 54/56 lofts are most often the sand clubs and they need bounce to not dig in..they glide through making it easier to get out.
58/60 tend to be the "parachute " lob clubs and they need lower bounce or a particular sole grind to keep the leading edge close to the ground.

I honestly don't get the appeal for having the lob wedge with little bounce.
Playing a tricky lob shot is something you would actually want a bit of help with.
I appreciate its easier to open up a low60 to play a flop of tight lies but these shots are not that common.
Even with run offs. Being stuck completely short sided over a bunker is pretty rare.
More often than not a player will miss the green and be in short rough. It'd not really necessary to have such low bounce for these shots.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I honestly don't get the appeal for having the lob wedge with little bounce.
Playing a tricky lob shot is something you would actually want a bit of help with.
I appreciate its easier to open up a low60 to play a flop of tight lies but these shots are not that common.
Even with run offs. Being stuck completely short sided over a bunker is pretty rare.
More often than not a player will miss the green and be in short rough. It'd not really necessary to have such low bounce for these shots.

I used to play a course that was very firm with closely cut areas around the greens. The high loft, low bounce was useful.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to play a course that was very firm with closely cut areas around the greens. The high loft, low bounce was useful.

You only need to really open it way up if your going over something. Bounce on tight cuts is actually useful. The high loft of the club is enough to get it in the air.

evemccc

Visit site

Interesting

That actually confirms my experience and thoughts — I am pretty good with my 60 low bounce wedge and use it a lot for popping it over stuff or stopping a ball dead —— when I try and do the same and nip it off a tight lie with my high bounce 55 degree I blade it way more often…

Last year I was experimenting with getting rid of the 60 low bounce club, and using the 55 high bounce for everything —- no way am I doing that now

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting

That actually confirms my experience and thoughts — I am pretty good with my 60 low bounce wedge and use it a lot for popping it over stuff or stopping a ball dead —— when I try and do the same and nip it off a tight lie with my high bounce 55 degree I blade it way more often…

Last year I was experimenting with getting rid of the 60 low bounce club, and using the 55 high bounce for everything —- no way am I doing that now
Yes that’s why I want a low bounce for the bunkers with linings in and very little sand to get under the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you use it in the bunkers.?
the linings in ours makes it like playing a bunker shot off a range mat.

Next time you are in a bunker. Open the face up. Lower ur hands at address and hammer the heel of the wedge under the ball. The heel is the sharpest part of the wedge. It will dig in under the ball and pop it up.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Next time you are in a bunker. Open the face up. Lower ur hands at address and hammer the heel of the wedge under the ball. The heel is the sharpest part of the wedge. It will dig in under the ball and pop it up.
That’s the problem . I have tried everything.
I can’t get under the ball.
the club just bounces off the lining ,if any speed is applied it rockets over the green.
doing my head in,
we just have no control over the shot
bunkers just need more sand in them if you use these linings.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don’t understand what a bunker with a lining is? Never knowingly came across those before
It’s basically a hole in the ground that is lined with a very thick felt.
Sand is put on top of it to make it a hazard.
but if the sand isn’t deep enough your club hits the lining and just bounces off propelling the ball to far usually.
Its impossible to control the ball if your club hits the lining.

TigerBear

Visit site
It’s basically a hole in the ground that is lined with a very thick felt.
Sand is put on top of it to make it a hazard.
but if the sand isn’t deep enough your club hits the lining and just bounces off propelling the ball to far usually.
Its impossible to control the ball if your club hits the lining.

Dear me, is there no way for the members to club togther and get the greens team to install a proper bunker or put more sand in?

A hole in the ground with lining and a sprinkle of sand sounds awful!

Mandofred

Visit site
You only need to really open it way up if your going over something. Bounce on tight cuts is actually useful. The high loft of the club is enough to get it in the air.
Not for me. If I open my 60 (6 degree) I can nip under the ball. With more bounce if I am not perfect with contact the club will bounce off the ground and zing.....thin shot through the green.

CountLippe

Visit site
That’s the problem . I have tried everything.
I can’t get under the ball.
the club just bounces off the lining ,if any speed is applied it rockets over the green.
doing my head in,
we just have no control over the shot
bunkers just need more sand in them if you use these linings.

A steep angle of attack will reduce the dynamic bounce. If this doesn't work I doubt a zero bounce wedge will.

sjw

Visit site
I have 52, 56, 60 (Kirkland set). I bought them to fill a gap in distance between my new PW and my old SW (which was not, in hindsight, lofted enough really to be classed as a sand wedge). The gap is smaller but not perfect. Could probably do with 48, 52, 56, but they'll do for now. I need to also sort out the longer part of my bag over time, so I don't want to go mad buying wedges!

CountLippe

Visit site
I have 52, 56, 60 (Kirkland set). I bought them to fill a gap in distance between my new PW and my old SW (which was not, in hindsight, lofted enough really to be classed as a sand wedge). The gap is smaller but not perfect. Could probably do with 48, 52, 56, but they'll do for now. I need to also sort out the longer part of my bag over time, so I don't want to go mad buying wedges!

To be honest, your probably better off working on different yardages with your pitching wedge first and only if this fails look at wedge gapping.