What lofts are on your wedges?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pw (44)

will leave it like this until the new SM10s come out and then have a proper fit and gap. only had to throw the 48 in as changed irons and the gap between PW and 52 was just a bit too much to be able to fill

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been 45/6, 50,54,58 for as long as I can remember
The secret to having more wedges is knowing which to use and when...
And with regard to dropping a wedge in favour of a longer club..a Pro from years ago said How many times are you going to hit a green from 180-210 yards..? You'll need a choice of wedge to get you on the green when you miss it..
Seems to work for me

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Pw 45°
50°
54°
60°

Tbh I rarely use the 60° unless I'm shortsided. But I play on a fairly short course (5800yd par 69) so I haven't felt the need to swap it out for another club at the top end.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On one hand the OP's spacing and number of wedges looks fine already but only they'll know their game to say what shots these wedges can’t do for them and whether that’s a deficiency in full shots or chips etc
Are they just the stock wedges that came with the iron set or standalone wedges

Of course OP might not be fixing a problem & just buying shiney stuff and so its good to read what others have set their bag as for options

Edited (to correct the waffle):

I use a 45 PW (from the set) and 50 GW (blade)
PW is full shots only and 50 for full shots & every other pitch/chip under its full shot distance inc bunkers

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
But what is this need for several wedges all about?
Why don't we tell manufacturers that we want to buy a set of irons from whatever to PW? Have enough loft on the PW so that we only need one more wedge. This makes sense to me.

It really was not very long ago that standard PW was 52.
What exactly was wrong with that, that they needed to change it by 8 degrees, thus renumbering all the clubs by 2?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But what is this need for several wedges all about?
Why don't we tell manufacturers that we want to buy a set of irons from whatever to PW? Have enough loft on the PW so that we only need one more wedge. This makes sense to me.

It really was not very long ago that standard PW was 52.
What exactly was wrong with that, that they needed to change it by 8 degrees, thus renumbering all the clubs by 2?
I don't even think of my PW as a wedge - that's just a name. It's part of my iron set, I think of it as a 10 iron effectively.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Don’t worry about how many “wedges” it’s completely irrelevant.

As is the number on the bottom. All that matters is the 13 clubs you have go the distances you need with sensible gaps.

I’ve technically got 4 wedges. But the P and U are just a 10 and 11 iron. The 54° and 58° are the only clubs I have that I would call wedges.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Don’t worry about how many “wedges” it’s completely irrelevant.

As is the number on the bottom. All that matters is the 13 clubs you have go the distances you need with sensible gaps.

I’ve technically got 4 wedges. But the P and U are just a 10 and 11 iron. The 54° and 58° are the only clubs I have that I would call wedges.
Yep.
Or you could consider that your P and U are 8 and 9 iron and your other irons are -2 from what it says on the bottom. That would make sense with having the two wedges, in my view.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bet you couldn't believe how much further you were hitting that pw over your old one. What irons did you get?
I have the Rogue ST Max. I went into the fitting thinking I didn't want stupidly strong lofted irons. But I came to realise my hands were tied a little bit - if I wanted the forgiveness (which I do) pretty much all the forgiving irons were strong-lofted. And watching the 7 iron travel 160+ and dead straight it would have felt silly to stand there and say "I don't want this - it goes too far and too straight." If I couldn't hit the 6 iron because it was too strong, it would have been a problem, but I can hit it fine so it's not. As I mentioned, I just had to add the AW (approach wedge I think.. but I call it the attack wedge 😆) and I have an effective set of irons. The number doesn't matter, it only matters that I know how far each of them go.

CountLippe

Visit site
I moved from 2 wedges (52 & 58) to 3 wedges (50/54/58). A number of reasons. Firstly I despise hybrids. It got to the point I couldn't bear looking at it, so removing it from the bag gave me space.

Secondly, the yardage gap between my pitching wedge and 52 was too great so a 50 was brought in, this is also the go to for chip and runs. I could then have gone with just a 56, but there was the bounce issue - more for bunkers or less for pitch shots?

A medium bounce 54 has improved my bunker play and general chips. A low bounce 58 is great for lob shots and pitching.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just got some new irons with gap wedge which is 48 degrees. I’ve had to drop my normal 50 deg gw and put the 54 back in. Also got a 58 but I don’t really use it a great deal.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Pw 45°
50°
54°
60°

Tbh I rarely use the 60° unless I'm shortsided. But I play on a fairly short course (5800yd par 69) so I haven't felt the need to swap it out for another club at the top end.

I have regular irons that I use less than my 60 and I find mine useful for bunkers too but agree that short sided damage limitation is when I use mine most.

Fabia999

Visit site
I have
PW - 45
PW2 - 48
GW - 52
SW - 56

I always felt like I needed to bridge the gap between PW and GW so I bought a 48 degree vokey wedge. I now only really use it as a bump and run or 25 yards and in. comes out a lot lower and i can get more run than my SW.