What is a sport?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Are we really saying that breakdancing and skate boarding fit these criteria? :oops: . I think someone is fudging the numbers somewhere
Skateboarding & bmx were really good to watch at the last olympics.
Definitely better than the long distance running imo.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Skateboarding & bmx were really good to watch at the last olympics.
Definitely better than the long distance running imo.

I have a different memory of the skateboarding last time round. It seemed from what I saw that hardly any competitor was able to pull off any of their main tricks and ended up on the ground

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always wondered why the Americans have sent dream teams out for basketball and Ice Hockey but never for wrestling. Surely even at their age a team with The Rock, The Undertaker, John Cena and Hulk Hogan would romp home with the gold medals. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site
I think a sport is a game that is played as a competition between 2 or more players / teams that requires some sort of physical activity. However, that physical activity doesn't need to be limited to aerobic fitness or strength. It could be related to flexibility, hand/eye coordination and skill, etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Any different from some skiing and snowboarding events at the Winter Olympics, is it really any different from diving events or gymnastics though
I'd ditch those events at the winter Olympics as well. Either race it, jump the furthest or don't bother.

Diving, drop it.

Gymnastics, that's an interesting one but if we have to be consistent, off you go 🤷‍♀️

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a sport is a game that is played as a competition between 2 or more players / teams that requires some sort of physical activity. However, that physical activity doesn't need to be limited to aerobic fitness or strength. It could be related to flexibility, hand/eye coordination and skill, etc.

What about mental activity though. It is not hard to argue that chess takes as much skill and dedication as any physically challenging sport and so is there a place for it. I guess what I am trying to say, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, is that it is pointless arguing whether a sport should be included, there are arguments for and against anything and so unless you backtrack to sports included in the original games or even the start of the modern Olympiad, anything is fair game to be included or discarded.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd ditch those events at the winter Olympics as well. Either race it, jump the furthest or don't bother.

Diving, drop it.

Gymnastics, that's an interesting one but if we have to be consistent, off you go 🤷‍♀️

Yeah I always found gymnastics the most interesting example there.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Fishing, perhaps one of the most participated in sports globally. Should that be there. It is easy to measure a winner, plenty of global participation, skill involved seems to fit the bill.

They were in the Olympics a long time ago and have recently looked to try and gain entry

But it’s all about what sort of competition they will have

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Always wondered why the Americans have sent dream teams out for basketball and Ice Hockey but never for wrestling. Surely even at their age a team with The Rock, The Undertaker, John Cena and Hulk Hogan would romp home with the gold medals. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

😂😂😂

They must be gutted that wrestling was taken out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah I always found gymnastics the most interesting example there.
It's the most difficult to circle yet it feels as though it should be there. However, nearly every Olympics there will be a judging controversy, same with boxing. For those reasons, they have to go. (I don't think the Olympic committee are ever going to give me a job :ROFLMAO: )

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
It could be argued that darts is a more physical activity than shooting a gun - both are just about accuracy, but one of them is about keeping as still as possible. I just read that shooting has been in the modern Olympics since day one.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Could just go to the simpler days, if you get paid to do it, you do not get in the Olympics.
Unfortunately I’m not sure you will get many there - it’s impossible for them to compete at a high level and also work main jobs even though some still do a lot of coaching work etc in their sport to help with funding

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unfortunately I’m not sure you will get many there - it’s impossible for them to compete at a high level and also work main jobs even though some still do a lot of coaching work etc in their sport to help with funding
That was the point I was making with Wells and others. I am not sure they got any sort of payment other than their sponsorship to help cover training and travel to events, certainly not for winning

Swango1980

Visit site
What about mental activity though. It is not hard to argue that chess takes as much skill and dedication as any physically challenging sport and so is there a place for it. I guess what I am trying to say, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular, is that it is pointless arguing whether a sport should be included, there are arguments for and against anything and so unless you backtrack to sports included in the original games or even the start of the modern Olympiad, anything is fair game to be included or discarded.
Purely mental, I'd say not. It is a game, but for me not a sport. Of course, there will be people that see any game as a sport I suppose. So, Chess, Scrabble, Monopoly, etc could all be considered sports by some. I'd say Twister is more of a sport than those :)