What is a sport?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I started to answer and then realised there are too many exceptions to the rule and so in the end, I'm not sure there is a definition that stands up. It ultimately comes down to a judgement, and on that we all differ.

For me, too many pastimes are now in the Olympics and I have no time for them. People can happily disagree with that, I just wont watch most of it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I could form a sentence or two defining a sport, but the thing I find impossible to do is list or define what are not sports.

Yoga is a physical discipline and some form of judging could be introduced to produce a winner.
Chess is a competition of skill where the winner is clearly defined and not judged.
But I am undecided whether either of these is a sport.

In horse racing the winner is usually declared as the name of the horse, but show in jumping it is usually the rider that gets a gold medal. I find that odd.
Motor racing should give credit to the best vehicle as much as the driver.
Golf can be won by the best player or the one with the best clubs or a combination of those two elements. Or are all clubs pretty much the same?

But all these games and activities have a set of rules to abide by and an outcome of a winner. In practicality that is all that is needed.

As for breakdancing - I think breaking wind would be a better Olympic event. I'm world class at that one.

The key part of a sport is competing

In yoga you maybe doing physical exercise but you are not competing against someone else or a course or yourself

The jockey in horse racing gets the win as well if they win

The best thing about the Olympics is that is offers a massive range of sports to watch and it highlights some sports that normally don’t get any airtime etc

It’s a massive event for a lot of sports out side the mainstream

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

In yoga you maybe doing physical exercise but you are not competing against someone else or a course or yourself

…and with pastimes we generally don’t compete…competitive philately anyone?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site

The best thing about the Olympics is that is offers a massive range of sports to watch and it highlights some sports that normally don’t get any airtime etc

It’s a massive event for a lot of sports out side the mainstream
My wife is much better than me at yoga - if it were judged - she would beat me every time.

I've never put the jockey's name on a betting slip.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
My wife is much better than me at yoga - if it were judged - she would beat me every time.

I've never put the jockey's name on a betting slip.
But it’s not judged 🤷‍♂️

And what you put on a betting slip doesn’t mean the jockey doesn’t also get the win

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
But it’s not judged 🤷‍♂️

And what you put on a betting slip doesn’t mean the jockey doesn’t also get the win

That is why I wrote, "Yoga is a physical discipline and some form of judging could be introduced to produce a winner."

You are judged if you take a test to become an instructor.
Just like breakdancing - some are better at it than others.

I did say that I was undecided as to yoga and chess as sports. My view has not changed. I doubt this thread will convince me either way on these two activities.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m afraid the Olympics have become like a junior school sports day, where you get a certificate for just taking part…. With some of the events that have joined the roster that’s how it feels to me. A reduction in number of events/sports would give it greater kudos for me.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m afraid the Olympics have become like a junior school sports day, where you get a certificate for just taking part…. With some of the events that have joined the roster that’s how it feels to me. A reduction in number of events/sports would give it greater kudos for me.

Just playing devil's advocate, you don't have to watch any of the sports you don't like. Chances are most of the minority sports will barely get any screen time.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I believe the amount of Core Sports stays around 32 ?

The host request some are added for their games

But for the sport to be included I believe it has to be played in over 70 countries and across all continents for it to be included in the games

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I believe the amount of Core Sports stays around 32 ?

The host request some are added for their games

But for the sport to be included I believe it has to be played in over 70 countries and across all continents for it to be included in the games
The Olympic Charter indicates that in order to be accepted, a sport must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents and by women in no fewer than 40 countries and on three continents.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are we really saying that breakdancing and skate boarding fit these criteria? :oops: . I think someone is fudging the numbers somewhere

I suspect that those are more realistic than rugby and baseball when that was in. Not sure what the criteria is. Does it need to organised with a national governing body, no idea. Hell, poetry has been a competition before. My thought is that the Olympics has to keep growing to even look like covering the cost to host it and so whatever is going to get the crowds in or watching on TV or have big name competitors from the countries that pay the big bucks for TV rights, they are going to get in.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Are we really saying that breakdancing and skate boarding fit these criteria? :oops: . I think someone is fudging the numbers somewhere

Well at the last break dancing world champs - there were 177 competitors from 62 countries.

skateboarding- over 200 men and women combined from 68 countries in the last world championship

It’s actually mad how many people actually compete in these events

Speed climbing is roughly the same as well

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I suspect that those are more realistic than rugby and baseball when that was in. Not sure what the criteria is. Does it need to organised with a national governing body, no idea. Hell, poetry has been a competition before. My thought is that the Olympics has to keep growing to even look like covering the cost to host it and so whatever is going to get the crowds in or watching on TV or have big name competitors from the countries that pay the big bucks for TV rights, they are going to get in.
I think we have seen from venues pulling out because of the rising costs that the financial implications far outweigh the honour and prestige of hosting and ultimately it is becoming harder and harder to balance the books. Paris definitely trying to be greener than previous games - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cm52drr0lp1o