What if your driver suddenly cracked?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
See Dustin Johnson’s driver cracked just before teeing off at Liberty National and his back-up was elsewhere. So he had to use a stronger lofted 3-wood that he doesn’t usually carry..

What would you do if your driver suddenly went on the day of a big one? Do you keep one in the boot/locker? I would likely start off with my 5-wood and lose faith very quickly and then try and hammer/de-loft my hybrid

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think if this happened a lot of ams would be better off.
An awful lot of golfers should not own a driver.
It causes them so much trouble.

Get a demo from the pro shop if I don’t take my own advice!:eek:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'd use my 3 wood.

We are currently not getting on that well. Only really use it on par 5 s 2nd shot and that isnt my favourite shot.

I've only broke par at my home course once and that day I only used the 3 wood all day. Didnt hit one driver. Had it on a string back then. Couple of years ago now. Plan to buy a new one for next season. Time to part ways.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’d knock some loft off my 3/4 wood and get it round with that.
Then I’d book a fitting for shiny new big dog.

G1z1

Visit site
I hit my 3 wood just as far as my driver but just less consistent, so would probably help my game lol. Keep saying im going to have a round with just the 3 wood.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think nearly everyone will have an alternate club off the tee for where the flight or landing area is narrow or there's a hazard etc in play if they were to use driver, so they switch to a.n. other club

Surely folks will just use that club if the driver broke

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Something similar happened to me years ago to my Ping G2 driver, there was a crack in the face.

DSCI0079.jpg

Fortunately, the nice guys at Ping gave me a G5 which is still going strong. If it happened again I've got a 3 wood which is 12 degrees so I'd just use that. Then I'd go on the hunt for a Ping G10 driver, spoil myself.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think if this happened a lot of ams would be better off.
An awful lot of golfers should not own a driver.
It causes them so much trouble.
I am not sure if this is true any more modern drivers are pretty forgiving things.
To the original question, I would go to my three wood, I used to use it a lot but with modern drivers I'm more reliable off the tee with a driver than a three.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I think I'd probably have to rely on my driving iron or hybrid seeing as I've completely lost the ability to hit my 3w nowadays.

Having said that, I played with the below for a couple of months until my Epic Flash arrived and it didn't actually appear to affect performance too much (it still flew everywhere but the fairway).20201204_115913.jpg

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd just use my mate's driver probably. Or if it was a comp and this wasn't allowed, I'd go back and try and cancel my comp entry. And if I can't get that back.. I just tee off with my next longest club which is the 5 wood. Would be annoying though. That said, my longest 5 wood shot is probably only 15 yards short of my average drive. But I just love hitting my driver so the round wouldn't be as fun.