Will I play better if...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
So I have a budget for a new PC BUT I could stick with my old one for a year or more. It's from 2008 but it gets used daily for gaming. It's a solid 1080p rig and will be for a while but I really want to go 1440p...

My other option is to refresh my golfing gear, irons to driver.

Wedges and putter are fine...

I have a set of MP-57s, old and worn.

I have 2nd hand 3 wood and a low loft hybrid and driver. No 5 wood, no easy to hit hybrids

All great for when I played off 12, shooting low 80s or better.

Now I can barely hit the driver and just about get round in under 100.

I've hardly played since 2015, and then it's been mostly on a par 3 course.

So would a whole new approach, say GI irons, hybrids from 5i up and higher loft wood say 5 or 4 plus a higher loft driver make the game playable again and much more fun?

I will start to play more from this year as my toddler is getting easier to manage as he can do more things by himself. We are finding we have more time now compare to last year.

U

User62651

MP57s are for pretty good iron players imo, could be you would do better with some more perimeter weighted irons to make the need for decent ball striking less precise (lose feel but gain a larger sweet spot) to still get decent results.
Callaway or Ping game improvement shovels would perhaps let you enjoy golf a bit more if you're not at the level you once were?
Re driver a shorter shaft and higher loft is good for more control -13 degrees or more.

If budget allows maybe a club fitting is in order?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i still think the MP57 was one of the best and forgiving clubs Mizuno ever made. If you are not playing very much, its more about that than what clubs you use.

if you are not playing much, why spend money if its an issue for you, that you don't have to?

And i played once in a blue moon i would just stick with what i had.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you will play better if and when you play more ... no matter which clubs you use :D

If I could I would do this, the whole point of this thread is because I cannot do this.

I'm a little confused, I also thought my clubs were better suited to the better player, I was decent with my irons once...

So reading through the thoughts here I am thinking of getting a 12* driver, 5 wood and a hybrid to replace my 4 iron.

All my troubles, the fun sapping, happens at the long end of the bag. I just can't hit these clubs. I also think if I had the clubs I would play more and enjoy the times I do play a little more too...

A good bout of lessons would do the job but what's the point when I am hardly playing?

Off to eBay to see what it has in stock...

Hmm... look... a 7 wood!

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tom, I am going to sound patronising here, but new clubs will only help so much. If there are technical flaws in the swing, and the longer clubs are affected, then a club won't resolve them, a change in method is required!

Personally, stick to the majority of what you have and learn to hit them, which will give greater benefit

U

User62651

If you're short on time can't you make use of a range for a half hour in the week instead of course? Work on your long game, get a review from one of the pros?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tom, I am going to sound patronising here.

Personally, stick to the majority of what you have and learn to hit them, which will give greater benefit

You didn't, I agree my long game is likely MIA but will come back with lessons.

I certainly won't sell my old kit.

So I am really just looking for the quick and easy way out for a couple of seasons.

A whole set of irons is probably overkill, I see that now. Surely a hybrid, wood and a high loft driver would be good to have around as options?

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
So I have a budget for a new PC BUT I could stick with my old one for a year or more. It's from 2008 but it gets used daily for gaming. It's a solid 1080p rig and will be for a while but I really want to go 1440p...

To be a devils advocate here, I'd give the equipment a miss and get a Sapphire RX480 Nitro + if I were you.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be a devils advocate here, I'd give the equipment a miss and get a Sapphire RX480 Nitro + if I were you.

Ha I was actually going to abandon AMD, been going downhill for years.

Big fan of everything up to the R9 series which was a huge let down.

Eyeing up a GTX 1080 SFF build at the moment... sense might prevail and I might get a 1070.

Never AMD again, not until they make something to challenge the 1080.

U

User62651

I regret selling my MP52's, #NothingFeelsLikeAMizuno ️

....if you can hit it right in the middle every time :whistle:........otherwise numb fingers and a low scuttler :(....do know as I played MP33s and MP30s ages ago....badly:eek:!

Ever notice whenever people get forged Mizunos they love them yet strangely a year later or so have generally sold them on?:clap: They just look soooo nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
....if you can hit it right in the middle every time :whistle:........otherwise numb fingers and a low scuttler :(....do know as I played MP33s and MP30s ages ago....badly:eek:!

Ever notice whenever people get forged Mizunos they love them yet strangely a year later or so have generally sold them on?:clap: They just look soooo nice!

Have to say I have done this. But usually replaced with forged Mizunos.
Last 4 sets were MP58 to JPX EZ Forged (badly fitted) to JPX 850 Forged and now have MP54.

Very, and I mean very, brief flirtation with TM RSi1 in there but no contest to the Mizuno.
#mizzyislife

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I had mine for 3 seasons, so half my playing experience to date and won plenty with them, including H4H's, I miss them 😞

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
And to me but I think what Robin is saying is that they should all have a cavity cut in them and it does not look like they do?!.... Interesting.

wasn't it only the long and mid irons that had the cavity?

a guy i played with every week with at Tain had a set, and i def remember only some had a cavity