What suits your swing?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I decided to start this thread following on from Virtuocitys thread regarding shafts and shaft fitting so as not to take it off topic.

Do you know what shafts actually suit your swing?

And how do you know for sure?

I'll get the ball rolling on this.

My swing speed puts me on the border line between regular and stiff, however, I have quite moderate to fast tempo to my swing.

When I was fitted for my irons, the best results came from a heavy regular steel shaft. This gave me the best combination of launch, distance and dispersion.

Iron shafts:
True Temper Dynamic Gold R300

My woods however are slightly different.

With my driver, 3 wood and hybrid, I'm much better suited to a lightweight, stiff shaft for the reasons listed above.

Wood shafts:
Driver: Project X PXv Tour 52 6.0
3 Wood: Project X PXv 53 6.0
Hybrid: Diamana S+ 72g

Interestingly, the iron shafts were from fitter recommendation, however the woods were through experimentation and trying different shafts to see how they affected the flight of the ball.

To me, the lightweight shafts feel much more stable and controlled through the swing, with feel being another crucial factor.

How about you? What suits you and your swing?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty much mr average, happy to fit for a driver shaft but others I am content with stock stuff or regular, probably would make much difference in the irons.

Just playing golf at the moment would be nice...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My irons were fitted back at Easter time, we want through loads of shafts but in the end the Nippon 1150's showed the best results.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Regular CFS shafts in the irons, nice high flight that I like. As for woods, whatever they come with off eBay, but always regular!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure about Irons, I've got the stock Dynalite S300's in stiff in my Covert's and they seem to go nicely. Had much better dispersion and distance with them in a stiff than any of the regulars I tried.

I too am on the borderline between Reg and Stiff (SS with a driver between 91 and 94mph) and when I went to a fitting day recently with Callaway I was put in a heavy regular which happened to be the XR Pro stock Reg shaft (Project X LZ Pro), with the regular XR head.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my old clubs I got fitted with Nippon 1150's and were great, that was 6 yrs ago, I got the new Nippon Modus120's in stiff for my new clubs but I wasn't fitted for these i just read the reviews and on forums and bought shafts off eBay. But I have a ES14 launch monitor and I tried the new Nippon Modus105's which are 7.5g lighter then 120's and I got 6mph faster equating to about an extra 10yds longer. The effort I have to hit the 120's to get the same result as the 105's is back breaking!!!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I decided to start this thread following on from Virtuocitys thread regarding shafts and shaft fitting so as not to take it off topic.

Do you know what shafts actually suit your swing?

And how do you know for sure?

I'll get the ball rolling on this.

My swing speed puts me on the border line between regular and stiff, however, I have quite moderate to fast tempo to my swing.

When I was fitted for my irons, the best results came from a heavy regular steel shaft. This gave me the best combination of launch, distance and dispersion.

Iron shafts:
True Temper Dynamic Gold R300

My woods however are slightly different.

With my driver, 3 wood and hybrid, I'm much better suited to a lightweight, stiff shaft for the reasons listed above.

Wood shafts:
Driver: Project X PXv Tour 52 6.0
3 Wood: Project X PXv 53 6.0
Hybrid: Diamana S+ 72g

Interestingly, the iron shafts were from fitter recommendation, however the woods were through experimentation and trying different shafts to see how they affected the flight of the ball.

To me, the lightweight shafts feel much more stable and controlled through the swing, with feel being another crucial factor.

How about you? What suits you and your swing?

I do have a good idea and I am seemingly some what the opposite(not quite) of you. As I recall we have similar SS (97mph driver). For irons my swing likes a mid weight steel shaft, something around 115 grams. Anything much below that I lose the club a bit and much over and my swing slows down. I come back again and again to the PX 5.5. Worth mentioning that the PX is counter balanced, so more weight in the butt than your DG.

I am aware that I am pretty violent on my down swing so the lack of feel some people (sweepers) get from the PX shaft is not true for me.

Graphite shafts I always pick a mid mid shaft and rather something more on the heavy side of usual but only a little. So in my hybrid I would rather an 80, 3 wood a 75, driver a 65 rather than the often seen 5 or so grams less than I have stated for my SS.

I am off to Golf Principles shortly for a no budget driver shaft fitting soon so we shall see what the expert says.

daverollo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good question Gareth

I was fitted for my MP60's back in 2006 and at that time went for NS Nippon 950gh shafts. I have a fast swing tempo, but early release of the club and a lighter shaft suited me.

Over the last couple of weeks I have been on a trackman and the Mizuno swing analyzer. Borderline stiff shaft for me as well with an average 81mph for a 6 iron, which surprised me. Mizuno gizmo came back with 3 options, all stiff and I tried them. The S300 felt heavy, but definitely gave a narrower dispersion on the irons I was trying compared to the JPX850's I have.

Not yet ready to go for a full fitting as I am currently working on some swing changes which may alter things, but picked up a nice set of JPX825 Pro irons. (much prefer the forged feeling to cast) These have an True Temper Dynalight R300 shafts in, which are lighter than the standard R300's, but heavier than the Nippons. Love them, seem to work really well with a nice flight and not heavy at all.

Driver I am using a regular shaft on the 910D2 which on the off center hits is a push.

As and when I am happy with the swing changes I am making over the winter, I intend to go for a proper fitting session and pay for it as well. Really good read here from Tom Wishorn's site (club maker).
http://wishongolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/New-12Myths-PDF-2014.pdf

I think getting a proper fitting for irons, driver, putter is well worth it in the long run.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Surprise, surprise! I've found pretty similar results to 'Gareth'!

Now using heavy irons - and stiffer than 'optional' to straighten me up a bit, at the cost of a bit of distance.

Very Light (but not super-light) shaft in Driver. Something to 'give it a crack' in FW and Hybrid. I tend to swing a lot smoother (think old-man's swing!) with the Driver than with FWs and Hybrids.

The Driver shaft is a 'poor man's version' of an old Matrix one (TP7) that I used to really get on with - and still have in another head (plus a spare and a FW length one I've recently re-purchased!). The MyGolfSpy review of the (couple of years old) club indicated I was someone who could benefit from the combo anyway - and they were right!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been fitted for heavy S300's, medium weight PX and lightweight stiff steel shaftsby a variety of fitters.
Twice I've used the Mizuno DNA gizmo and twice its come up with S300's.
I've played my best golf with S300's so as far as I'm concerned they're my iron shaft.

The Fubuki Z that comes with the 2014 Big Bertha range works well for me as does the stock Speeder in the 815. Again I've been fitted for a number of different profiles but the Fubukis have been in the bag for well over a year now, far longer than most shafts, although the Fujikura Flightspeed Gold found in Cleveland's of 2008 was a goer too..

I'll state now that, despite numerous fittings and LM trials, I never recreate distance and dispersion on the course..

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is it actually possible to say "I am regular/stiff/whatever" when there is no actual standard for what these words mean? If there was a standard, would there be as many shafts on the market, all claiming to give better launch/distance/spin/grouping/etc?

It is a minefield out there and the manufacturers rely on our ignorance to keep swapping and changing in the vain hope we find the holy grail!:D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is it actually possible to say "I am regular/stiff/whatever" when there is no actual standard for what these words mean? If there was a standard, would there be as many shafts on the market, all claiming to give better launch/distance/spin/grouping/etc?

It is a minefield out there and the manufacturers rely on our ignorance to keep swapping and changing in the vain hope we find the holy grail!:D

It's a good point. I started off using the stock shaft form the manufacturer of the club I was hitting and the fitter worked off that. Tried the stiff version vs the regular and then we looked at other shaft options to play with spin and accuracy, again in S and R until we eventually came across the best option for the club make I wanted and hit the best. It takes time and a monitor really helps

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
What ever the fitter found suited me

So you'd go with PX7.5s that you couldn't hit more than 6ft in the air as lond as the fitter (who just happened to have a set of those in stock) said they suited you?

You know what type of shift suits you, you might not know weights and specs but you know that what you need, in general terms.

My new irons have just arrived and I've moved away from the S300 to a Nippon Modus which, I believe, is that bit lighter and seems to flight it so much better for me.

I normally need a bit of help in the tip of whatever shaft I get, or that's what the fitter told me ;)

D

Deleted member 15344

So you'd go with PX7.5s that you couldn't hit more than 6ft in the air as lond as the fitter (who just happened to have a set of those in stock) said they suited you?

You know what type of shift suits you, you might not know weights and specs but you know that what you need, in general terms.

My new irons have just arrived and I've moved away from the S300 to a Nippon Modus which, I believe, is that bit lighter and seems to flight it so much better for me.

I normally need a bit of help in the tip of whatever shaft I get, or that's what the fitter told me ;)

I would expect any reputable fitter not to suggest shafts that didn't suit me just because they have the shafts there