What era produced the best players?

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Is there really any need to give thought to how good would Harry Vardon be versus Rory?

Which era? No idea, it affects nothing and no one can answer it

Bit boring though eh, no discussions on forums, best club, best ball, best golfer now then or when. It's just a little chat between mates like down the pub but online.

Personally I agree with the below, the best are the best and will always shine through regardless of era.

I wouldn't say any era is better, just certain players are better.

Hagan, Sarazen, Snead, Hogan, Nelson, Palmer, Nicklaus, Player, Watson, Seve, Faldo, Norman, Woods, et al - put any of them in any other era, as the equivalent fitness, equipment, courses, rules etc they would be the standout players.

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it is impossible to say. One of the great things about golf is the game is always evolving but essentially the same.

I do know that even very late into their careers, Nicklaus, Player and Palmer could pull off remarkable shots as well as men less than half their age. Maybe not put it together for an entire round, but enough you can see they were once the real deal.

D

Deleted member 16999

One of those debates that's really interesting but can never be answered,
Some of the issues with the era goes to more than Golf itself, some players were influenced by parents or social aspects, eg Tiger being born at the same time as Vardon would not of got the same opportunities as he did in real time, and the hours the previous generations put into inventing certain shots maybe wouldn't be required in the modern era due to technology.
We'll all have favourites and opinions, just think it's one question that'll never be answered.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course it's impossible to say. Each era has produced great players with skills required at the time. I think there are more better payers now but in terms of skill I think there would be nothing to choose between best 2 or 3 from each era.

To match the original triumvirate how about these

Hagen, Jones and Sarazen
Hogan, Snead, and Nelson
Palmer, Player, Nicklaus
Watson, Seve, Norman
Woods, Mickelson, McIlroy

If I had to go for one era I think for all round skills given the balance between technique, equipment and playing conditions I think I'd go for Hagen, Jones and Sarazen. Just in that transition from the old game to the new. Hogan, Snead and Nelson of course all had impeccable technique which set the template for the modern golf swing and which would stand up today.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Of course it's impossible to say. Each era has produced great players with skills required at the time. I think there are more better payers now but in terms of skill I think there would be nothing to choose between best 2 or 3 from each era.

To match the original triumvirate how about these

Hagen, Jones and Sarazen
Hogan, Snead, and Nelson
Palmer, Player, Nicklaus
Watson, Seve, Norman
Woods, Mickelson, McIlroy

If I had to go for one era I think for all round skills given the balance between technique, equipment and playing conditions I think I'd go for Hagen, Jones and Sarazen. Just in that transition from the old game to the new. Hogan, Snead and Nelson of course all had impeccable technique which set the template for the modern golf swing and which would stand up today.

More like Faldo, Seve, Norman - Watson was a bit of an overlap, but if you had to drop one it would be Norman due to his lacklustre major career.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think each era produced players who were the best they could be in that era. There were limitations in each era. The equipment, the condition of the course, the conditioning of the players, including coaching.

I'd be tempted to equate it to the sprints in athletics. Once upon a time it was a grass track, then a cinder track, and then various 'bouncy' tracks. Once upon a time athletes trained when they could but also had a full time job, and didn't have a coach. Then it was a coach at the local club, then a national coach and now the top athletes, just like the top golfers, have a team around them.