Entered competition when not eligible under rules of the competition

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The rules & guidance within GB&I unambiguously do not allow scores to be submitted without pre-registration. Forgetting to sign-in to a competition would mean that there was no pre-registration, so any such score would also not be acceptable for handicapping. From CONGU's guidance:
"G2.1a (2) Pre-Registration Prior To Play​
In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee."​

Hmmm. Missed that.

D-S

Visit site
Hmmm. Missed that.
So if I have entered a competition online and booked a tee time, I must somehow register on the day too? I assume this must be either by using the PSI screen or by going in to the Pro Shop or by reporting to a starter on the tee?
If this is the case, we need to change our procedures.

salfordlad

Visit site
The rules & guidance within GB&I unambiguously do not allow scores to be submitted without pre-registration. Forgetting to sign-in to a competition would mean that there was no pre-registration, so any such score would also not be acceptable for handicapping. From CONGU's guidance:
"G2.1a (2) Pre-Registration Prior To Play​
In GB&I each National Union determines that it is a requirement that all rounds for handicapping purposes (other than those used for the Initial Handicap Award) must be pre-registered either through the computer software or manually. Entering a competition or being named in a draw or a booking system is not in itself pre-registration. Registration must be confirmed on the day itself in the manner prescribed by the club/Committee."​
This raises an interesting issue for the situation in the OP. If players that pay their fee only at the start of the season simply turn up on a day of competition and play (perhaps having put their names onto some form of time sheet), then there is no "confirmed on the day" registration system which implies NO cards in the competition are acceptable for handicapping according to the handicapping system rules.
The normal process for the vast majority of competitions is folk put their names on the sheets and the physical payment process of the comp fee prior to the round is the pre-registration process.

Reactions: D-S

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So if I have entered a competition online and booked a tee time, I must somehow register on the day too? I assume this must be either by using the PSI screen or by going in to the Pro Shop or by reporting to a starter on the tee?
If this is the case, we need to change our procedures.

As do most clubs I suspect. We book online a week or so beforehand online and turn up on the day, grab a card and play. The pro shop may tick a sheet to say we showed our face but maybe not everyone pops into the shop.

wjemather

Visit site
As do most clubs I suspect. We book online a week or so beforehand online and turn up on the day, grab a card and play. The pro shop may tick a sheet to say we showed our face but maybe not everyone pops into the shop.
Without some form of sign-in on the day, how can the committee differentiate between no-shows and people who turn up and play but don't return their score?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When we used cards we had to pick them up from the pro and pay the cash entry fee on the day.
Now we have to register and pay from our comps purse via the HDID app on the day. All tee times are on BRS and as the 1st tee is right outside a new pro shop window players report to the window and the pro ticks them off.

D-S

Visit site
This all makes absolute sense, especially needing to differentiate between no shows and players simply not submitting a card. It is jsut that since online booking and comp entry, players stopped paying on the day and thereby pre registering - so this pre registering by default slipped through the cracks. We will now have to change our procedures - good to know.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just my opinion, but there seem to be a lot of "rules" meant to limit the number of scores that can be used for determining a player's handicap. I would think that more scores would be beneficial?
Providing they are not being returned retrospectively simply because the player got the result he wanted. ie a reduction (vanity) or increase (banditry) in handicap.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Providing they are not being returned retrospectively simply because the player got the result he wanted. ie a reduction (vanity) or increase (banditry) in handicap.
Where does player integrity fit into the system? Again, just imo, it seems that the "system" has a very poor opinion of its users!

NearHull

Visit site
Where does player integrity fit into the system? Again, just imo, it seems that the "system" has a very poor opinion of its users!
I think it is in Rule 1.2 Code of Conduct.

• Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

When we used cards we had to pick them up from the pro and pay the cash entry fee on the day.
Now we have to register and pay from our comps purse via the HDID app on the day. All tee times are on BRS and as the 1st tee is right outside a new pro shop window players report to the window and the pro ticks them off.

We use IG. Players who have pre booked in to the competition are also required to check in via the PSI screen on the day of the comp. Failure to check in means a player is not in the competition. However having pre booked I would assume the card is acceptable for handicap as they , most probably would have entered their score on to the PSI at the end of the round and the error would only be spotted when the scorer checks the comp on the computer the following day (IG notes who checked in).

Swango1980

Visit site
If we were to 100% rely on integrity, the rules of golf could strip away many of the Rules and penalties, such as signing cards. WHS also provides guidance on what penalty score to give a player, and provides specific guidance for those that try and manipulate their handicaps upwards or downwards, so the issue must exist.

As an ex-handicap secretary, I have known countless players who have tried to submit good scores after their round simply to get a cut. And, I hear there are players out there that would happily hand in poor scores to achieve much higher handicaps (some refer to as bandits)