Marking a card.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve searched the rules app and I can’t find anything to help me.

3 players go out in a medal and walking down the first they all (somehow) realise that between them they only have one card.

They carry on the round using a combination of the card and a phone app to record the scores. On arriving back at the clubhouse a member of the committee hears them chatting about the round while all individually completing their score cards, asking aloud ‘what did you get on 6?’ etc. Committee member says you can’t do that, cards must be filled out as you go round and DQs all of them?

Only one of the three had a net 64 and would of won the comp by 10 shots!!

As I say I can’t find the rule. Can someone point me too it or confirm that as long as you complete a card and it’s signed by both player/marker it doesn’t matter when you fill it out.

Thanks.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it'll be 3.3b with the following as the rule

'...(1) Marker’s Responsibility: Entering and Certifying Hole Scores on Scorecard. After each hole during the round, the marker should confirm with the player the number of strokes on that hole (including strokes made and penalty strokes) and enter that gross score on the scorecard...'

&

'If the player breaches any of these requirements in Rule 3.3b, the player is disqualified'

*My bold emphasis
Only problem confusing me is one part refers to an action by a marker and the penalty noted is for a player :unsure:

No doubt I'll get corrected when the proper guys come along ;)

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Based on that, at least one of my normal group would be DQ'd in every round we play. There is always someone that forgets to record the score after each hole, and has to 'catch' up with the scoring.
Are we really saying that this warrants a DQ?!?!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think it'll be 3.3b with the following as the rule

'...(1) Marker’s Responsibility: Entering and Certifying Hole Scores on Scorecard. After each hole during the round, the marker should confirm with the player the number of strokes on that hole (including strokes made and penalty strokes) and enter that gross score on the scorecard...'

&

'If the player breaches any of these requirements in Rule 3.3b, the player is disqualified'

*My bold emphasis
Only problem confusing me is one part refers to an action by a marker and the penalty noted is for a player :unsure:

No doubt I'll get corrected when the proper guys come along ;)
You forgot to highlight one key word in (1), SHOULD.
In the Rules,
MUST is a requirement and failure to comply is a breach and will result in a penalty.
SHOULD is a recommendation, and failure to follow is not a breach.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

3 players go out in a medal and walking down the first they all (somehow) realise that between them they only have one card.

They carry on the round using a combination of the card and a phone app to record the scores. On arriving back at the clubhouse a member of the committee hears them chatting about the round while all individually completing their score cards, asking aloud ‘what did you get on 6?’ etc. Committee member says you can’t do that, cards must be filled out as you go round and DQs all of them?

As I say I can’t find the rule. Can someone point me too it or confirm that as long as you complete a card and it’s signed by both player/marker it doesn’t matter when you fill it out.

Thanks.

Id be asking the power hungry numpty under which rule the players have been disqualified

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Thanks.

I'd be absolutely livid if a committee member at a members club took things to that level for handicap golfers. I would take it as far as I could with regards to complaining against the member and committee and even be prepared to walk away from the club and cause as big a scene as I could.

Same thing often happens on wet days when the card becomes mush and you end up filling out a clean card after the round.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Whilst I think the committee member was a prize numpty, I lose a bit of sympathy when 2 out of 3 blokes in a medal actually forget to take a card out with them.

At mine, if you are in a comp you sign in at the pro shop and are handed your card, so I have to wonder how the majority of that 3 ball didn't have one.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Whilst I think the committee member was a prize numpty, I lose a bit of sympathy when 2 out of 3 blokes in a medal actually forget to take a card out with them.

At mine, if you are in a comp you sign in at the pro shop and are handed your card, so I have to wonder how the majority of that 3 ball didn't have one.

Well if you havent got one in that situ then you deserve everything you get, not so sure all clubs are run like that though!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Well if you havent got one in that situ then you deserve everything you get, not so sure all clubs are run like that though!

I just thought it would be the case everywhere, or at least the majority, certainly didn't expect it to be unusual which is what I'm getting from your post; am I wrong?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just thought it would be the case everywhere, or at least the majority, certainly didn't expect it to be unusual which is what I'm getting from your post; am I wrong?

Last club I was a member at comps were run by the committee not the pro shop, IF someone was there to run the comp then yes you would get a card, if not then you just signed a sheet before you went out and onus was on you to get a card, mark it up correctly and enter into the PSU

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting scenario. You can fill in scorecards in the clubhouse when, for example, your card gets soaking wet. However, the only problem I can really see here is that the person marking didn't have anyone marking their score and the committee will have a procure requiring it as per Committee Procedure 5F(3) in the rules of golf. If they did (with the app or whatever) then I'd definitely submit an appeal if a DQ was issued.
Yes it's normal and convenient to exchange cards before you go out but is it a rule breach? I think as long as it finishes up on a signed card and submitted it should be accepted.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting scenario. You can fill in scorecards in the clubhouse when, for example, your card gets soaking wet. However, the only problem I can really see here is that the person marking didn't have anyone marking their score and the committee will have a procure requiring it as per Committee Procedure 5F(3) in the rules of golf. If they did (with the app or whatever) then I'd definitely submit an appeal if a DQ was issued.
Yes it's normal and convenient to exchange cards before you go out but is it a rule breach? I think as long as it finishes up on a signed card and submitted it should be accepted.

I don't know why you think any of the 3 players didn't have anyone marking their score. They came back in and wrote out their cards according to the scores they had jointly recorded on the way round. Each card, certified by a marker would have been perfectly acceptable had the committee member not intervened - as you say. By the way, the responsibilities of player and marker regarding recording scores and returning the the scorecard are in Rule 3.3b not the Committee Procedure which is about the Committee's discretion as to who may be a marker.

You're right that there is no requirement to exchange cards before starting the round although it is standard practice (other than in our Seniors games where we often don't remember to do so until reminded by completing the 1st hole and having a score to put in :rolleyes:).

Last edited:

Jono_3

Hacker
Visit site
Yea you're right 3.3b covers that a marker needs to be used but as you say the committee can decide how markers are delegated. All I was thinking was that the marker didn't have a marker unless one of them used their app to do it.
I think either way we're in agreement, so long as they can verify their score, sign and return a card then there should be no penalty. It's a fair cop getting DQ'd if it's legitimate but they can't just make up the rules, that's what the R&A is for.