What do you hate about the game?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm retired now but when I did use this system it worked very well. (For comps and days out mainly).
The way I see it is there are 3 realistic choices

1. Let slow players out first followed by fast players.
2. Mix up the slow and fast players.
3. Put fast players out first, then slower behind.

No.1 will never work
No.2 (present system) doesn't work.
No.3 Does work very well.

Ok, it may mean that a few people may have to change their plans but if it meant EVERYONE could play at their own pace without being hassled, it would be worth the effort.

After all, the club doesn't exist to pander to the few that have plans that ruins everybody else's day.
Someone has to decide who all the slow players are though?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Someone has to decide who all the slow players are though?
Not really.
Slow players will try and play with faster groups but won't enjoy being rushed so they will play later.
We're not talking about a large percentage of fast or slow players.
You may find that there are only 3 or 4 groups of each

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really.
Slow players will try and play with faster groups but won't enjoy being rushed so they will play later.
We're not talking about a large percentage of fast or slow players.
You may find that there are only 3 or 4 groups of each
I just mean that as we always say on here, usually no one actually admits to being the slow player do they? So someone would have to decide for them. :p I suppose you will get a few who just say they don't want to rush and will go out later though.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Poor etiquette.

You can be as slow or as quick as you want providing you acknowledge that others might want to play the game at a different speed.

You want to swear when you duff it for the xx time in a row? Crack on, but just try and make sure you don't upset the guy 100yds away thats got a great score going.

You've got a phone call you want to take/make, fine but try not to impinge on someone else's enjoyment by doing it loudly.

There's so many examples/expectations in the game. Some are a little frustrating but they all mean something to someone. You might not like them but that doesn't mean you shouldn't respect them.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In your opinion.

Well yes, none of us have minutes from the R&A meetings.

But they have made a comment in the past about wanting to avoid crossing the Championship with politics.

Obviously we'll see what happens if Trump loses the election or stops becoming president. They certainly weren't put off by Trump when he 1st took over and I remember Peter Dawson making comments about 'being kept informed' about changes to the course and they also said the trophy would just have 'Turnberry' on it, rather than 'Trump Turnberry'.

However obviously a lot of wind has blown through since then.

Visit site
Who decides what a reasonable pace is?
If you ask 3 different people the chances are you'll get 3 different answers.
I've said it all along.....
Sprinters out early doors
Less quick players mid morning
Slower players after lunch.
EVERYONE can then play at their own reasonable pace
I think you missed my sarcastic point.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I hate how it makes you feel you have cracked it on a Saturday and makes you feel you have just played your first ever round on a Sunday

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I hate how it makes you feel you have cracked it on a Saturday and makes you feel you have just played your first ever round on a Sunday
Can't argue with that. Won and had a cut a few weeks ago and now playing with no idea where its going next. I guess this remarkable scale on inconsistency is a stark reminder why we don't have to worry where our next meal as a pro golfer is coming from!

Visit site
How golf is becoming time based instead of being about the score.
If I knew that going round in under 2hrs 30 would get my hc to scratch then I’d get my bolt shoes on and run.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
- slicing the ball oob
- missing short putts
- being stuck behind a slow fourball that won't let me play through
- those weird days when I just can't seem to get a ball into the air at all
- playing partners who try to mansplain the game to me
can a man mansplain to a man? And can a man be mansplained to?

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Inconsistency. How I can hit two identical shots with massively different results and have no idea why.
How after hitting 10 shots on the range I can hit it like a single figure golfer, but the same shot once every 15 minutes on the course exposes my hacker status.
How, when looking at an eclectic result I realise I can par and birdie every hole on the course but can never do it in one round - or anywhere close.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ps

I’m sure some git will be along shortly to confirm just how shocking my driving and back 9 shanks were last Sunday.

Cause he’s nice like that...
Unless he's still 'poorly'!

He is still "poorly" actually!! Looks like it may not have been a hangover after all 🤢

And I've no right to talk about how bad Tug's game was. Mine was only very marginally better....... 🙏🙏🙏

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
can a man mansplain to a man? And can a man be mansplained to?

Yeah, I guess so ;) While some more conservative men honor the tradition of educating mostly the ladies in their presence, others have now broadened their horizon and are more than willing to spread their wisdom to man and woman alike:rolleyes: (It is not the way we wanted to see gender equality go ...)