What do you hate about the game?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Straight off the bat of my last post, lets flip it. What do you hate or dislike about golf?

Personally its the complete inconsistency that I can experience, shooting mid 80's one day and struggling to break 100 the next ! Can be the most frustrating sport in the world. It also irritates me the stigma that can be attached to golf as an old mans sport which can be hindered by backwards rules and strict dress codes that aren't embracing the modernisation of the game. Luckily its not something that has a massive impact on me at my club but is certainly still prevalent. For example, our Club pro lent me his waterproof trousers to put over my jeans just to use the driving range even though the course was dead. They were about 2 sizes too big and looked ridiculous. Our driving range is uncovered, tatty old mats and its that short I can't use driver or woods on it. Really frustrating that I went out of my way to use my club range rather than one thats 5 minutes closer (and far superior in terms of quality) to be made to feel awkward and look stupid stood there hitting balls.

But I still come back every week and my love for the sport seems to be growing constantly ! Im a sucker for punishment

User20204

Visit site
Inconsistency.

Tonight I went up for a few holes, 2 over thru 3, ended up playing 12 holes at only 1 over, does my head in cause come the weekend I'm probably be back to playing utter nonsense again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slow play is my pet hate.
Bunkers with linings in.
And people who don’t give a s... about anyone else, as long as their game is ok.
Dress code for the range is just ridiculous.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
5+ hours to play a round today

A group of 4 jolly old men, holding up the whole course, while they stand around chatting and not being ready to play their shots.

Ruined what should have been a great day out

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of you have hit the nail on the head already. It's the baffling inconsistency which is most frustrating for me. Hit the ball beautifully one week, knifing it left right and centre the next. Seemingly without explanation.

And the fact that once you hit a duff shot, it's done, you can never undo that. I know it's only one shot, but when it costs you a further two making up for it, and you just think "WHY did I do that??" :LOL: Painful.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Really slow play is annoying.
Stuffiness that you still find at some clubs. I'm playing at a fancy club next week that requires me to wear a jacket and tie for lunch afterwards. I think it's all a bit strange to have stuff like this in the year 2019.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Committees who dont realise that losing members annually is likely to be proportionate to the increase in subscriptions they apply. Not seeming to realise that a percentage of members dont play enough to warrant the higher price or that the increase takes the club membership fee closer to other, perceived better courses, in the area.

Homer

Visit site
Committees who dont realise that losing members annually is likely to be proportionate to the increase in subscriptions they apply. Not seeming to realise that a percentage of members dont play enough to warrant the higher price or that the increase takes the club membership fee closer to other, perceived better courses, in the area.

In general or somewhere specific?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
- slicing the ball oob
- missing short putts
- being stuck behind a slow fourball that won't let me play through
- those weird days when I just can't seem to get a ball into the air at all
- playing partners who try to mansplain the game to me