What do I play off in tomorrow’s Medal

NearHull

Visit site
I’m currently on 12.5. Yesterday I shot 38pts in a small field (less than 20players) in a qualifying completion (Seniors Eclectic). I submitted my score using HowDidIDo directly into Club V1 system. Some Seniors wrote a card and some may have done both. The comp is administered by the Seniors Committee. The issue is that the Comp Organiser isn’t going to sort the cards/entries until Monday.
I play in Club Comp tomorrow, a 4BB Medal and also play in an 4BB Open on Monday. There are various scenarios going through my head about my handicap. I think I play off 12 from today assuming I’ll get cut by at least 0.4.
Can anyone tell the correct rule please. I get that morally I play off 12.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per Traminator you have to adjust against the SSS

So if the SSS is two less than par then no adjustment is necessary

If the SSS equals the par take 2 x 0.2 off your handicap

NearHull

Visit site
Thank you both. Par is 72 , SSS is 71. So I play off 12.3 tomorrow.
I guess my CDH will stay at 12.5 until the comp gets closed off on Monday.

Dannyc

Visit site
What happens if your 5.4 played today and hit 30 points and in a open tomorrow
Our club won’t update to HowDidiDo until the cards have been checked Monday

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's no "morally".
It's simple, if it was a qualifying comp you use the SSS and cut yourself accordingly.

What's the SSS and par?
Par is irrelevant.
Simply subtract SSS (or CSS if known) from total net strokes (allowing for any net double bogey).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Par is irrelevant.
Simply subtract SSS (or CSS if known) from total net strokes (allowing for any net double bogey).
That's a far too complicated method!
A far simpler (initial) method (as 'handicap calculation' is a Stableford measurement)....
Take Stableford score; Adjust for SSS vs Par.
When CSS is known, so should new handicap!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's a far too complicated method!
A far simpler (initial) method (as 'handicap calculation' is a Stableford measurement)....
Take Stableford score; Adjust for SSS vs Par.
When CSS is known, so should new handicap!
Given that the gross score is on the card (ie the only figure that must be). Subtract the handicap and subtract the CSS/SSS. All done.
But each to his own.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
assume hes implying you need to adjust for any "big numbers"
Indeed!
Hypothetically....
If that 83 is made up of 17 birdies and a blowout....
If that 83 is made up of 9 birdies and 9 blowouts....
Is the handicap adjustment the same?

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
In my round that kicked off this thread, I had one hole with a zero point score. I had a triple gross on a par 4 for which I had a ‘stroke’.
38 pts, Par 72, SSS 71 . Handicap was 12.5.
I think I am 12.3 tomorrow until the comp is closed and the CSS is declared, then recalculate.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my round that kicked off this thread, I had one hole with a zero point score. I had a triple gross on a par 4 for which I had a ‘stroke’.
I think I am 12.3 tomorrow until the comp is closed and the CSS is declared, then recalculate.
What were your total strokes when the zero points hole was adjusted to net double bogey?
12.5 was your exact handicap. Your 'playing' handicap was 13.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Agreed!
But no need to 'recalculate', as your new Handicap should be available/shown.
Btw. You can't go wrong by playing off 12, though you might be playing off 1 stroke lower than you could be. So worth checking in the morning to see whether CSS has been determined. If 70 or lower, then 13 would be legit.

Last edited:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Crikey guys, you don't half know how to complicate something for someone!! This was answered by post 3, and acknowledged in post 4. Everything since is just complication....

Sometimes simple is best. Yes I know rulefan quotes the exact way to calculate it etc, but sometimes you can explain it easier using different language. In this example, chap shot 38 points, so obviously a stableford comp, so no need to calculate net double bogeys etc, just use the points score against sss or CSS (as in the initial responses)
So 37 would be playing to handicap and the 38 means a. 2 cut. Simple, quick and effective.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Crikey guys, you don't half know how to complicate something for someone!! This was answered by post 3, and acknowledged in post 4. Everything since is just complication....

Sometimes simple is best. Yes I know rulefan quotes the exact way to calculate it etc, but sometimes you can explain it easier using different language. In this example, chap shot 38 points, so obviously a stableford comp, so no need to calculate net double bogeys etc, just use the points score against sss or CSS (as in the initial responses)
So 37 would be playing to handicap and the 38 means a. 2 cut. Simple, quick and effective.
And possibly wrong! Which is why the 'complication' is needed!